Is my laser/disc reader/hdd broken?

This is a discussion on Is my laser/disc reader/hdd broken? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I just tried to start up Borderlands for the first time and I got the error: An error occurred during ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Is my laser/disc reader/hdd broken?

I just tried to start up Borderlands for the first time and I got the error: An error occurred during the start operation.
    Tried putting in another game, that worked.
    Now the weird thing is that I had this before when ejecting another game OUT of the PS3. So I was suprised to see that error.
    I'm afraid something in my PS3 is broken. But I only have my PS3 since August last year, so not even a year.
    I've tried sucking the vacuum away once, but I don't believe there was many or I did it wrong.
    My PS3 always has enough breathing space. I do carry it sometimes in a backpack to my parents, not sure if that is not good.
    I always quit the games to the XMB and then turn off the system.
    I can't think of anything I've done wrong that could have caused this. Hopefully this is just an error with Borderlands.
    I'm scared...

Please help me

PRO Member

You could try using a blue ray disc cleaner first. It's good to clean your system pretty regularly. I had a problem with my disc reader a few months ago. It was not reading discs and when I put a disc in it would make the noise like the disc was being ejected. I had to send it to playstation and they sent me a brand new system. Is it making any similar noises?
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 4 - Silver

I don't know TBH, how do I recognize that sound?

PRO Member

It will happen after you put a disc in. It sounds exactly like you pushed the eject button. And honestly if you bought the ps3 new and are still under warranty you might give them a call.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I have to try that then. Could you please say something about the things I summed up what I do with my PS3.
    Besides carrying it in a backpack to my parents I can't really think of anything that I've done wrong.
    I doubt that something is broken after not even a year of using it. But I can never be sure.
    Not being rude, but you're actually only making me more worried.

PRO Member

Well, depends on how rough you are with it when it's in your backpack. You said you've had the same problem more than once, right? Could just be a factory error. Mine wasn't a year old either. So, time really isn't a factor.

Lol, you asked. I was supplying an answer through personal experience.
    ***Queue sarcasm*** There is absoluely nothing wrong with your system. The borderlands game is broken... Better?

Lvl 4 - Silver

I'm always taking good care of it.
    Don't understand why I got the error after quitting and ejected a game out of the PS3. Doesn't make sense, right? :S

Great, things are getting better and better..
    Just had no sound while playing Uncharted 1, decided to quit the game. It said please wait for a couple seconds (never had that before) and then I heard the awfull 2 beeps and my PS3 restarted it's self. I didn't got any error.
    Now I remember that I had this before after quitting a game. I'm starting to worry.
    The weird thing was the I muted my TV after I started the game up because I was busy with something. I had sound before, but not after I unmuted. Weird.

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Well have you tried it out recently?

It's funny because, in my experience, the people who tend to be overprotective about their playstation are the first to get it messed up.
    My friend's bluray reader messed up as well and he always took good care of it.. but it was too much work.
    Like he would do the XMB thing, take out the disk, put it back in it's case, logged out, signed off the user and shut off the ps3.
    Occasionally he'll even put it back in it's box!
    With me, I had the mindset of, "i payed $____ for this shit, so it better work"
    but.. not everything lasts, my 1st PS3 got the yellow light, but I got that fixed (1 day left on extended warranty)
    I bought a slim and gave the FAT one to my sister

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be so overprotective about it.
    Now, carrying the console on your backpack might have been the problem if there is one.
    But if everything works out, try putting some of that air-wrapped-thingy-you-get-in-packages... (BUBBLEWRAP!) ..totally forgot what it was called
    but yeah, get bubble wrap and put it around it next time.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
    I know it's tough.
    It's just a flesh wound.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Could anyone please help me?
    I'm going to try if my PS3 makes the ejecting sound when putting a disc in.
    And I might call Sony.
    Just wonder if the problems I have are serious and can cause more trouble.

illegal in 9 countries

Are your discs scratched? If yes, clean them. If no, call Playstation support. Get their number off your local Playstation website (eg .com, .com.au, co.uk etc).

Tell support your PS3 isn't reading discs properly, it's throwing errors and is hard-rebooting.
    Next time it happens, write down the error codes, they'll possibly ask as it'll help diagnose the problem.
    Make sure you have proof of purchase (a receipt) if you need to get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

That's enough hand-holding, you can fill in the gaps.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Are your discs scratched? If yes, clean them. If no, call Playstation support. Get their number off your local Playstation website (eg .com, .com.au, co.uk etc).

Tell support your PS3 isn't reading discs properly, it's throwing errors and is hard-rebooting.
    Next time it happens, write down the error codes, they'll possibly ask as it'll help diagnose the problem.
    Make sure you have proof of purchase (a receipt) if you need to get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

That's enough hand-holding, you can fill in the gaps.
    Ok I'll do that. And the Borderlands disc is fully clean. As all my discs are.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    my 1st PS3 got the yellow light, but I got that fixed (1 day left on extended warranty)
    Lol! Bet you were kissing your lucky stars you still had your warranty!

Erm... as far as the whole Borderlands issues is concerned, I don't believe you have a whole lot to be seriously worried about as I randomly get all kinds of little glitches with my system (and I have the treasured 60GB console). Which model do you own, by the way?

Try the Borderlands disc in a friend's console first and see if it functions. Having said that, the way forward it seems is to contact Sony and replace your console. It's a little hassle and takes up time but it really is the sensible thing to do if you still have warranty. If you purchased it from a store you can just sort it out through them.

Keep in mind that even if someone has experienced the same symptoms as you it doesn't mean the console has the same problems (unless you have the same error code). Nevertheless, it's enough to simply know that it does have problems. Wishing you the best of luck in dealing with this issue.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by UKobra View Post
    Lol! Bet you were kissing your lucky stars you still had your warranty!

Erm... as far as the whole Borderlands issues is concerned, I don't believe you have a whole lot to be seriously worried about as I randomly get all kinds of little glitches with my system (and I have the treasured 60GB console). Which model do you own, by the way?

Try the Borderlands disc in a friend's console first and see if it functions. Having said that, the way forward it seems is to contact Sony and replace your console. It's a little hassle and takes up time but it really is the sensible thing to do if you still have warranty. If you purchased it from a store you can just sort it out through them.

Keep in mind that even if someone has experienced the same symptoms as you it doesn't mean the console has the same problems (unless you have the same error code). Nevertheless, it's enough to simply know that it does have problems. Wishing you the best of luck in dealing with this issue.
    Exactly. I just called Sony and I have done a system recovery. Turns out I couldn't start up Borderlands again
    What you said, I have to visit a friend and test the game there.
    If it turns out that my PS3 is broken, it has 1 very big positive thing about it.
    I won't be able to play games till the summer holiday and that means I can concentrate more on school, which I really need right now.
    So I won't be disappointed it if turns out that my PS3 is the broken one.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    Like he would do the XMB thing, take out the disk, put it back in it's case, logged out, signed off the user and shut off the ps3.
    wow - talk about excessive. Game stays in the system, then I quit the game from the xmb, then choose "turn off system". I can't even see the reason to log out or sign off the user - you will be logged out when you turn it off.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    wow - talk about excessive. Game stays in the system, then I quit the game from the xmb, then choose "turn off system". I can't even see the reason to log out or sign off the user - you will be logged out when you turn it off.
    Signing/logging out and ejecting the game doesn't matter a f*ck.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Yeah it turned out that my disc was broken so I got a new one and they tested it at the store and it works.
    Problem solved!

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Quote Originally Posted by MrCostari View Post
    Yeah it turned out that my disc was broken so I got a new one and they tested it at the store and it works.
    Problem solved!
    Haha! Good news.
    It's just a flesh wound.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    You could try using a blue ray disc cleaner first. It's good to clean your system pretty regularly. I had a problem with my disc reader a few months ago. It was not reading discs and when I put a disc in it would make the noise like the disc was being ejected. I had to send it to playstation and they sent me a brand new system. Is it making any similar noises?

Same thing happened to me with my last two playstations -_- im currently on my 3rd and only pray that my disc drive doesnt go out -_-
    Try keeping ur ps3 out in a open area and DO NOT SET ur system on the floor especially carpet. Also try to keep out the dust in ur vents blow out ur vents with can of compressed air. If u try a blu-ray cleaner and that doesnt work and ur warranty from sony or the store u bought ur system at has expired i recommend finding someone local to work on ur system instead of sending in ur ps3 to sony. And if all else fails and u cant find no1 to work on ur system u can take ur system to best buy and have geek squad work on it. However if u feel like u can do the job urself after removing all the screws be very very careful when separate the system cause u have a line of wires running to ur power button and eject button. After u pull off the top of ur ps3 take a cue tip and dip it in some rubbing alcohol and very very carefully rub ur ps3 eye with the rubbing alcohol. I know this works i have done this to several electronics including a ps2 few cd players. Hope this helps u bud and good luck XD!!!!

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by MrCostari View Post
    Problem solved!
    Haha! Happy for you! You owe me one! Na, just kidding. Well done, enjoy!