Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The UFC Finally sells out to EA

This is a discussion on The UFC Finally sells out to EA within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Electronic Arts has announced its acquisition of the UFC license, which was previously held by THQ. This leaves the Undisputed ...

PRO Member

The UFC Finally sells out to EA

Electronic Arts has announced its acquisition of the UFC license, which was previously held by THQ. This leaves the Undisputed series, and presumably the EA Sports MMA franchise, dead and replaced by EA's upcoming Ultimate Fighting Championship MMA games.

EA's agreement with Zuffa gives it the right to stamp the EA Sports brand on various UFC games over the next several years.

This announcement comes a couple years after a fairly public battle between UFC President Dana White and Electronic Arts.

"EA doesn't give f**k about mixed martial arts. They made that very clear," said White in 2009.
    I'm caught between two minds on this. EA are the kings of sports games, without a doubt, and they should produce a fantastic game. It's also great to see Dana looking so proud of what they've achieved by getting hooked up with EA

However, I'm sure some of you will recall EA snubbing the UFC's bid to get them to produce a video game, and they also insulted the sport, calling it something along the lines of barbaric and just two guys beating each to near-death in a cage.

Is this not selling out in one of its highest forms? Dana also had strong words about EA after this happened. And as for the EA spokesman being a UFC fan since the 90's, where was he when EA were flat-out insulting MMA?

Now I'm a big EA fan since this generation, and often take their side of things. Again, on one side I appreciate how this indicates how far both the UFC and MMA have gotten. But at the same time, Dana, is this not going completely against your own words just for money?

Revelations 19:16

Screw both companies...they suck at making fighting games. Give UFC to namco so we can have a decent game!
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

Prayer Warrior

EA will screw it up. THQ made solid UFC games and now i don't know if i will even buy the franchise because i know without a shadow of a doubt that EA will screw it up.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by djthaiboxer View Post
    Screw both companies...they suck at making fighting games. Give UFC to namco so we can have a decent game!
    Namco? I cant see how you'd get a realistic MMA fighter from a company famous for arcade games

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    EA will screw it up. THQ made solid UFC games and now i don't know if i will even buy the franchise because i know without a shadow of a doubt that EA will screw it up.
    I'm still gonna give it a chance bro, then again I liked EA MMA more than you did so that's probably changing my mind more at the minute

Just hope they don't make it into a yearly franchise

Which they will

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Namco? I cant see how you'd get a realistic MMA fighter from a company famous for arcade games

I'm still gonna give it a chance bro, then again I liked EA MMA more than you did so that's probably changing my mind more at the minute

Just hope they don't make it into a yearly franchise

Which they will

ok so we both know i'll buy at least the first version that EA does lol but they better really bring it for me to buy it yearly

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

it was only a matter of time before this happened

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

illegal in 9 countries

If EA's handling the network infrastructure, kiss the online servers goodbye.

EA are masters of milking annual sport franchises and Dana's cashing in the UFC chips lately with big publishing deals, so it seems like a logical alliance.

The game should be solid as long as they retain the existing engine (EA's MMA sucked), but we shouldn't expect much more than annual roster updates.

I give it 2 years (on release of their 3rd version of UFC) before EA fucks it up and they drop all servers.

Lvl 7 - Gold

EA already killed the EA Sports MMA servers.

Nobody cares about the opinions and views of another if there's a buck to be made. Time for EA to rape the integrity of the sport and quality of the game like they do with the NFL through Madden.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 4 - Silver

I might be the only one excited about this. The big thing for me is that at least the Ea servers are much much better and THQ servers. Ea will come out with a bad ass UFC game you wait and see

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If EA's handling the network infrastructure, kiss the online servers goodbye.

EA are masters of milking annual sport franchises and Dana's cashing in the UFC chips lately with big publishing deals, so it seems like a logical alliance.

The game should be solid as long as they retain the existing engine (EA's MMA sucked), but we shouldn't expect much more than annual roster updates.

I give it 2 years (on release of their 3rd version of UFC) before EA fucks it up and they drop all servers.
    Atleast the servers will work and be stable

I've never had a good online experience with any non EA sports game

UFC 3 was more bareable though but connection was still iffy, yet I never see this bought up in forums or in reviews

Platinum Dohvakiin

Atleast the servers will work and be stable

I've never had a good online experience with any non EA sports game

UFC 3 was more bareable though but connection was still iffy, yet I never see this bought up in forums or in reviews
    That's probably because it's a mute point. EA's servers aren't much better than anyone else with a sports game on the market these days. For most people if they can get connected to a sports game servers at least half the time and stay in the game/match. It's a good day. And that's with anybody's game. Rather it's EA/2K or whoever. Al though 2K's servers are far better than EA's. EA has some of the wrst servers in the industry. Ubisoft is giving them a run for their money though.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Legend...Nuff Said

Now I'm a big EA fan since this generation, and often take their side of things. Again, on one side I appreciate how this indicates how far both the UFC and MMA have gotten. But at the same time, Dana, is this not going completely against your own words just for money?
    It depends on if it was his call for the deal. If the word came from above and he had nothing to do with the deal, his hands are clean.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Revelations 19:16

I speak of their high success with tekken and would bet my left big toe they could make UFC better than any other company. Hell, get namco and NetherRealm to consult with EA on the combat system! Im just saying. The last UFC i half way enjoyed was on DREAMCAST!

Hmmm...
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

UFC is crap, just a bunch of partiers who think they can fight.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    That's probably because it's a mute point. EA's servers aren't much better than anyone else with a sports game on the market these days. For most people if they can get connected to a sports game servers at least half the time and stay in the game/match. It's a good day. And that's with anybody's game. Rather it's EA/2K or whoever. Al though 2K's servers are far better than EA's. EA has some of the wrst servers in the industry. Ubisoft is giving them a run for their money though.
    Just from my own experience, I've never had problems with EA servers compared to that of THQ's

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    It depends on if it was his call for the deal. If the word came from above and he had nothing to do with the deal, his hands are clean.
    He's the president of the company other than the CEO there's barely anyone above Dana White

Quote Originally Posted by djthaiboxer View Post
    I speak of their high success with tekken and would bet my left big toe they could make UFC better than any other company. Hell, get namco and NetherRealm to consult with EA on the combat system! Im just saying. The last UFC i half way enjoyed was on DREAMCAST!

Hmmm...
    They could make a better arcadey UFC game, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    UFC is crap, just a bunch of partiers who think they can fight.
    LOL. Get a grip.

Legend...Nuff Said

He's the president of the company other than the CEO there's barely anyone above Dana White
    Well, I mean if the owners made the call. I agree, its not very likely, just saying thats the only way he'd be able to keep his hands clean unless he saw something he finally liked about EA after his 2009 comments you mentioned.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

And as for the EA spokesman being a UFC fan since the 90's, where was he when EA were flat-out insulting MMA?
    To quote the FOX people when MMA came to FOX...

"Things change"

Just deal with it Curse. Back when this shit was said, MMA wasn't the pull it is now, and in half a decade when MMA takes another step back and EA doesn't pony up cash to renew, their slander will be true then.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

Are we really surprised that Dana White is greedy and not a man of his word? Come on, he's a fight promoter, where honesty is not the norm.
    I liked UFC Undisputed and EA MMA equally and for different reasons but I hope the online people who stretch a fight for maximum XP get punished this time. That happened to me a lot on EA MMA due to a stupid "Round bonus multiplier". If you have me beat, beat me already and let me move on to the next challenge!

Avy and 10K Checklist Elite Bar by DaRe

"It's not the critic who counts. The credit goes to the man who is actually in the arena." --
    Theodore Roosevelt.

I don't expect to win an argument when I'm outnumbered -- but sometimes you just have to stand.

All out of bubblegum.....

I'm a huge Dana White fan, and even huger UFC fan... from day one back at UFC 1 on PPV when Royce Gracie steamrolled the competition. Dana is a god when it comes to business practices and bargaining. He knew what to say then, and what to say now. I hold high hopes for this first game, as I was an avid Madden/NCAA player for years until PS3. I just couldnt get into the PS3 versions. We'll see how EA does, but regardless, UFC is still the shit!
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

THQ and Yukes are doing a bang up job with the Undisputed series but i suppose it was to happen, EA Sports have some magical power to get people thinking they create such amazing sports titles but take FIFA, every year bar 09 i have traded in my copy within a month while PES stays on my console all year,every year,FIFA is all flash and branding, the gameplay is generally average.See Tiger Woods, Madden, NBA etc ( NHL games were good for a bit ) for similar tales.

EA should have chased WWE, i believe there is more that needs improving with those games than UFC's, though it's not why they want to make the games really is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast