What's up with open world games and a shitload of glitches/issues?

This is a discussion on What's up with open world games and a shitload of glitches/issues? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Is it just me or is there some kind of connection between open world games and a shitload of glitches/issues? ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

What's up with open world games and a shitload of glitches/issues?

Is it just me or is there some kind of connection between open world games and a shitload of glitches/issues?

From the top of my head I can sum up these games with a lot of glitches/issues and are all open world games.

Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Dead Island
    Borderlands
    Skyrim

Is it because the game is constantly loading because you move through a very big world?
    Does that causes all the freezes?
    But what about the other glitches?
    Does making an open world game takes too long and devs rush it and end up with a lot of glitches?
    Just being curious and want to discuss this.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

My guess is that the more openworld-y and less linear a game, the more possible different situations, different states, a player can find themself in, which means that playtesting has less and less odds of finding them all and subsequently fixing any issues with them. In FFXIII, for example, it is much easier for the dev team to predict what all the player will do or have done by X point in the game, because there are a relatively limited number of states. In Skyrim, however, the player's incredible freedom to do anything means that there is no possibility that playtesting can hit every eventuality, because the number of potential states is staggering. Hence, fewer glitches get caught.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I agree with sushisocks. Games like Saints row, GTA, AC don't have many glitches or bugs because they are a bit more linear than the games you mentioned.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 4 - Silver

That's a very good point! I didn't thought of that!

That Southern B****

I think it also has to do with the game tryin to find response to what you are saying. For me, the only time Fallout 3 or NV glitched was when I used VATS to kill an enemy. I would be clickin buttons like no tomorrow and then it would freeze on me. I would set the controller down, walk away, and (usually) within minutes it would unfreeze itself.

As for Borderlands, the only glitch I ever knew on it was when my friend and I were doing Underdome and the enemies would glitch out. And that was only while I was online.
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    I think it also has to do with the game tryin to find response to what you are saying. For me, the only time Fallout 3 or NV glitched was when I used VATS to kill an enemy. I would be clickin buttons like no tomorrow and then it would freeze on me. I would set the controller down, walk away, and (usually) within minutes it would unfreeze itself.

As for Borderlands, the only glitch I ever knew on it was when my friend and I were doing Underdome and the enemies would glitch out. And that was only while I was online.
    I think that's because of the game mainly made for the xbox 360 (not sure if correct, but it happens to most games ) and then it will be quickly converted to PS3 and it might cause a lot of glitches and issues. Take a look at Skyrim.

Game on....

Open world games that are relatively glitch and issue free.

Borderlands (I didn't get any issuea at all)
    Dragon's Dogma
    Red Dead Redemption
    GTAIV

So not all games are like that. I have to agree with Fallout: New Vegas being the biggest freeze and glitch fest of a game in history.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Can't say ever noticed any bugs in Borderlands. But I agree with all the other games mentioned. Even with all the freezing issues I the Fallouts, they are still some of my favorite games. Hopefully I'll feel the same way about Skyrim.

WHO DAT!!!!

all i know was at the end of Skrim just before the plat, the game was nearly unplayable....some have said its due to the amount of items you had in inventory and by the end of 150 hours of play....maybe the memory is took much for the games as the save file gets larger?

Harvester of Souls

Dragon's Dogma, despite not being one of those top notch games as you mentioned, is relatively glitch and lag free and it's got alot of choice in it

But yeah, definitely the more free roaming and things to do, the less likely they will catch everything. Plus them making shit on 360 first hurts as different developments in those departments.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    Dragon's Dogma, despite not being one of those top notch games as you mentioned, is relatively glitch and lag free and it's got alot of choice in it

But yeah, definitely the more free roaming and things to do, the less likely they will catch everything. Plus them making shit on 360 first hurts as different developments in those departments.
    I agree... I had very minor lag for the first time in DD last night. Other than my Arisen being able to constantly walk through doors, I haven't noticed anything significant.

NSFW

Well three of the above mentioned games ARE Bethesda games....

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.