Peter Molyneux continues to be insane: New Game he makes will have $77,000 DLC

This is a discussion on Peter Molyneux continues to be insane: New Game he makes will have $77,000 DLC within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Will You Let Peter Molyneux Peek in Your Brain and Sell You a $77,000 Chisel? Game designer Peter Molyneux is ...

INTJ

Peter Molyneux continues to be insane: New Game he makes will have $77,000 DLC

Will You Let Peter Molyneux Peek in Your Brain and Sell You a $77,000 Chisel?

Game designer Peter Molyneux is a man with ideas—big ideas. And with his new startup, 22Cans, that isn't stopping.

"Human beings can read emotion in faces down to a level of fidelity we can't even dream of in games at the moment," Molyneux recently told New Scientist. That, Molyneux thinks, he can change. And change it thanks to the power of social media.

Molyneux aims to bottle personal data shared via social media to tap into what players like and then create characters based on those preferences. In short, Molyneux wants to explore into your psyche to make games you can relate with on an emotional level like never before.

To do this, Molyneux is launching 22 experiments designed to tap the psyche of social media users. That data will then be used in the creation of his upcoming game, which he plans to release two years from now.

According to New Scientist, the first experiment is called "Curiosity", and it puts you in a virtual room. In it, there's a solitary black cube. Tap on it, and the cube fractures. Everyone playing the game at the same time taps on the same cube, causing more and more fractures to appear. After a large number of taps, it will finally open, revealing "truly amazing, absolutely unique".

However, only the player who gets the final tap will get to see what's inside it.

What 22Cans wants to do is see how the news of what's inside the cube spreads—how the person will prove he or she saw what's inside.

Moreover, Molyneux plans on allowing players to purchase in game gear to strengthen their tapping. For example, you can buy iron chisel (priced at 59 pence), which is 10 times more powerful than simply tapping. Or you can buy a one-of-a-kind diamond chisel. It's 100,000 times more powerful and priced at 50,000 (US$77,000).

"It's an insane amount of money," said Molyneux, adding, "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetization."

Molyneux hopes that this experiment—and the other 21 he has planned—will help him better understand players. In turn, that will help him make a game that can connect with them in a deeper, more meaningful way.

"Saying, 'Let me look at your Twitter feed', is not enough—I've got to make people want to give it up."

But will they? In a few weeks when the first experiment launches, Molyneux will see if gamers are will to "give it up"—or even shell out 50,000 for a virtual chisel.

TL;DR

Peter Wants to experment, He decides to sell only one diamond chisel dlc pack, which is at $77k

PRO Member

Well, that sounds.... different.

Resident Deadhead

Uh.......am i missing something or is the game this is for is a....cube tapping simulator?

The world has gone to hell in a bucket, and no one is enjoying the ride with $70000 chisels
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Change is mediocre

I don't...know who that is.

Resident Deadhead

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I don't...know who that is.
    Hes the guy that created fable, and pimped it out to be life changing & groundbreaking

What we got was an OK rpg that can be slayed to shit in 25 hours....
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

PRO Member

Who in the world would ever buy that.

Sig by Bladia

PRO Member

I understand what he's saying, yet... I still don't understand.

I just want Fable 3. Go make the brother/sister clone to that.
    YouTube: Sk3pT1kaL

Death is Awaiting....

I can't wait to see if anyone buys it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Kid, not loser

Why would anyone even if they were rich buy it? No one will even buy this game, guaranteed.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Stay golden, Ponyboy

I'm not sure what he would prove by giving the option to buy that
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 4 - Silver

what
    the
    fuck

To Be Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Schismalicious View Post
    I can't wait to see nobody buy it
    Fixed your sentence for you.
    Latest
    Borderlands 2

Currently Playing
    PAYDAY 2

Trophy Checklist

First Trophy Guide

Synthwave <3

Sounds interesting. I can't imagine at this point how he would be able to craft a game for us personally thought based on the information we give him. I'll be interested to see updates about this though.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I just wonder how many people will lie about being the final person that sees what's inside and the lies that will come out! People have no lives when you have to lie to impress!

Rainbow in the dark

Oh wow! i'm deffo gonna buy this! oh wait i seem to be 76.500$ short... Nevermind i just realized he's a money grubbing son of an asshole that knows full well there are people in this world who are crazy enough to buy this.
    I recall someone buying a worn thong from some celebrity for 30.000$<-- this is just a small step
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Lvl 7 - Gold

Who wants to go halves on a gameshare account with me for this? It will only be a very reasonable $38,500! Lol

(do I have to note I am joking so I don't have a mod power stomp me?)

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm fairly certain the cube "experiment" is free. The DLC is optional. This sounds very interesting.

Synthwave <3

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierPrideHF View Post
    I'm fairly certain the cube "experiment" is free. The DLC is optional. This sounds very interesting.
    After reading more about this I think you're right. It sounds like the game itself is free, but the dlc will be an iron chisel ($0.90USD) and a diamond chisel ($77,838USD). This sounds like a very interesting experiment. I'll be interested to see what happens.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us