The Last of Us will have smarter AI

This is a discussion on The Last of Us will have smarter AI within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Here's my last interesting article for the night. I thought this was very interesting. Now I definitely can't wait until ...

Synthwave <3

The Last of Us will have smarter AI

Here's my last interesting article for the night. I thought this was very interesting. Now I definitely can't wait until the game comes out. It sounds like it will be a very unique experience.

You don’t survive the apocalypse by being stupid. PlayStation 3 exclusive The Last of Us, scheduled for release some time in 2013, takes place over a decade after an outbreak that turned part of the population into hideous monsters, prompting a total societal collapse. Nature has reclaimed broken cities, and the remains of humanity eek out an existence with whatever resources they can scavenge, make, or steal. Natural selection takes care of anyone making foolish decisions.

So developer Naughty Dog populated its post-apocalyptia with smart people who react to what they see and hear like real people might. That builds a realism and immediacy that, as demoed this year at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, no other game can match.
    It also makes things much more dangerous for the two lead characters, grizzled, player-controlled Joel and his charge, 14-year-old Ellie. While attempting to sneak through a building without drawing attention from the men scavenging it, you don’t just have to worry about one lone adversary at a time, but all of them.

“The A.I., from Ellie to the humans we’re creating, is a huge undertaking,” says Game Director Bruce Straley. Those scavengers? “They’re working as a group, and they’re aware of each other.” When Joel throws a bottle, it creates a predictable video-game distraction that one scavenger investigates … and one of his buddies checks up on him. “One of them’s concerned about the other’s welfare. ‘Are you all right?’” It’s not a pre-scripted sequence.

Likewise, as Joel and Ellie roam this world, they might have conversations based on things they see, and often call out to each other to make sure they’re OK while out of each other’s line of sight. Movie posters for Dawn of the Wolf (a riff on the Twilight series) might prompt an exchange if you indulge Ellie’s curiosity.

In a more dangerous situation, however, every single dynamic takes on major significance. When they’re discovered, Joel pulls out his revolver. Instantly, a scavenger warns his friends: “Aw, shit! He’s got a gun!”

“How many did you see?”

“Only saw one! He’s right by the door!” And yes, that’s right where Joel’s hiding. When he fires his gun, Ellie jumps, covering her ears. One of the scavengers gets the jump on Joel, bashing him up and adding a nasty cut across Joel’s nose before putting him in a choke hold for the men aiming from the windows. They take their time, making sure they hit Joel and not their friend.

At times like these, we’ve seen Ellie jump in before, using her butterfly knife to stick someone who’s got Joel on the ropes. This time, nothing … because those gunmen at the windows will take her out if she tries, and she knows it. Naughty Dog built a survival instinct into Ellie. It’s so good, they decided that players didn’t need the ability to direct her. Ellie directs herself.

Everyone else got those instincts, too. Joel breaks free and runs, quickly looting a gun off a downed enemy — a scavenger bursts into the room behind him, sees the gun and, lacking one himself, immediately turns and runs. The player controlling Joel decides to give chase, and Joel checks every corner for an ambush, muttering “Where the hell’d you go?” under his breath when he loses his prey. A noise behind him: His target’s got a molotov, but a snap-shot from Joel throws off the scavenger’s aim; the bottle crashes into the wall, setting it on fire. Desperate, the scavenger rushes Joel, screaming, and takes two bullets in the chest, dropping in a heap.

Ellie catches up, and stares at the widening pool of blood.”Oh, God,” she breathes.

“Let’s keep moving,” says Joel.

And none of that was pre-scripted, either. Each event dictated what happened next. If a player took a different path, none of this would’ve happened.

That said, developer Naughty Dog won’t divert from its brand of linear storytelling. Drawing enemies’ attention to Ellie’s location — effectively using her as bait — won’t make her trust Joel any less. “We think a good story is a story on rails,” says Straley. He trusts that, like the characters in his game, players will react appropriately to what they see and hear. “If we do our jobs, you’ll feel the same way the characters feel, and you’re motivated and aligned with that.”

Just don’t forget that the other guys are motivated and aligned as well.
    The Last of Us is even smarter than you think | VentureBeat

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Kid, not loser

If the E3 demo truly was not scripted like everyone else has been saying, then I believe it. Cannot wait for this.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Well the E3 demo really demonstrates the smart AI

>The dude has no more bullets
    >The gun clicks
    >Bum says, "I know that sound"
    > etc etc..

I loved the whole realism, I'm really keeping an eye on this.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Legend...Nuff Said

Yeah, as long as its not scripted then that will be awesome. My only concern will be that the smarter AI does not turn them into being cheap due to the environments.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Bring on the cheap Lasombra! If that's realism and how someone would react in this situation, so be it. Rather cheap than boring and useless AI imo...
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 9 - Gold

Even if the AI tries to be cheap, as we saw in the E3 demo, you have the camera and can peak around corners, while they cannot. So you can still effectively get the drop on enemies even if they have weapons and you don't. And don't forget that Ellie can help out with distractions as well, also as shown in the demo. I wasn't fully behind this before E3. But after seeing the game in action, I can't wait for it. This is going to be awesome.

Winter Is Coming

The more i read about this game the more i'm loving it, and i was pretty sold on it from the begining anyway

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Lvl 7 - Gold

You don’t survive the apocalypse by being stupid.
    And yet he completely failed to walk away from them instead of starting a fight. Yeah it might have been for the purpose of showing combat, but why not show a scene where combat was required?

I am quite skeptic if this will be GREAT or just GOOD. Better than half the crap at E3 for sure though.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

This will be legen Wait for it...............................dary. Legendary.
    A lie is just a great story that someone ruined with the truth.

Gotham's Reckoning

If the AI are as smart as they were from the E3 demo then this game will be even better .

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Local Drunk

Smarter AI sounds good to me but what would sound even better would be a release date

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Smarter AI sounds good to me but what would sound even better would be a release date
    Yes, I agree

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I agree on the whole as long as it's not scripted thing, I can't wait.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 7 - Gold

Sucks it isn't being released this year.
    I will be pissed if this is a launch title for the PS4.
    That would be smart of Sony though.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I will be pissed if this is a launch title for the PS4.
    That would be smart of Sony though.
    I don't think it will be.. sure doesn't look next gen. to me at least.