Help with Replacing Hard Drive in PS3 (Slim)

This is a discussion on Help with Replacing Hard Drive in PS3 (Slim) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I apologize if this post is anywhere else in this forum. I have found some posts that help, but not ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Help with Replacing Hard Drive in PS3 (Slim)

I apologize if this post is anywhere else in this forum. I have found some posts that help, but not everything I want to know is here (or at least I can't find).
    If needed, feel free to close/delete this post. Though, if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to mess this up.

So... my brother's HP laptop broke last year (shattered screen). I recently found out about replacing the hard drives in PS3s (noob, i know). I'm considering taking the 500GB hard drive from his laptop and placing it in my PS3 slim (120GB). I understand it will reformat the hard drive once it is placed in the system, but what I would like to know is...

1. Will this hard drive work? ---> Hitachi 500GB, 2.5-inch, 5400 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s ?
    - If so, is it a reliable one to replace the old one with?

2. This is the third PS3 I've owned (two Fat systems broke). Does switching out the hard drive prevent me from using my current PSN account?

3. Does replacing the hard drive lead to any kind of system failures or frequent data corruption/loss?

4. Are there any cautions I should take with replacing the hard drive?

Honestly, I'm not a huge tech genius, and none of my friends have a PS3s. I really appreciate all the help!

Thank you!
    Platinums In Progress:
    God of War
    Trine 2
    Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time [Complete!]
    The Walking Dead

Death is Awaiting....

1. The hard drive should work you'll just have to go on a computer and set the hard drive to FAT-32.

2. No, you can still use your PSN account just fine.

3. Can't really say anything on this one.

4. Make sure when you're taking it out you don't strip the battery all to hell.

And finally #5 backup your data on your PS3 before you switch hard drives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Lvl 5 - Silver

I think there are places were it tells you what kind of rpms it needs the size will fit but just to make sure the rpm. I used to have an 80gig but replaced it with 500gigs. I haven't had any problems as to data loss and whatnot.

You should backup all your information that way when you recover it it should all be like if nothing happened, it'll just have more memory. Although if you don't back it up you will have to go through the process of logging in. Also sync up your trophies if you have any that you haven't done so.

if all else matches then everything should be ok, although you're going to have to dl a separate system update to a hard drive or USB. The ps3 won't accept the internal hard drive if it doestn detect the update from the external source.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Thanks guys! All of that helps!

One problem: I guess I have corrupted data somewhere on my system. I try to backup everything but keep getting "back up operation could not be completed (80010038)." It gives me an estimate (4 hours) and begins, but immediately stops and gives me that message.
    Platinums In Progress:
    God of War
    Trine 2
    Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time [Complete!]
    The Walking Dead