MGS online dies tonight, anyone wanna play

This is a discussion on MGS online dies tonight, anyone wanna play within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PSA: Metal Gear Online goes offline tomorrow, say goodbye today | Joystiq Metal Gear Online, the multiplayer feature of Metal ...

INTJ

MGS online dies tonight, anyone wanna play

PSA: Metal Gear Online goes offline tomorrow, say goodbye today | Joystiq

Metal Gear Online, the multiplayer feature of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, will be terminated tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. JST (10:59 a.m. EST), on the day of the service's four-year anniversary. Originally, MGO was slated to run for three years, but it was extended "out of respect for our loyal fans," Konami writes.

"Nevertheless, we have regretfully come to a point where players have experienced all that this iteration of Metal Gear Online is able to offer," Konami's announcement reads. "Therefore, it saddens us to announce that we have decided to end online service with the upcoming fourth anniversary of online service. We would like to apologize to all of the users who are currently enjoying the Online Service for this title, and kindly ask for your understanding."

If you have a few hours to kill, maybe take that phrase literally and hop on your PS3 for some Metal Gear multiplayer action tonight.

so Who wants to play this.

played it two nights ago and it was really fun.

requires a copy of MGS4 though.

Kid, not loser

I remember playing it when it first came out, I really enjoyed it. The thing that sucks though is the install for it takes like 5 hours(for me it did) and made you do it like weekly, it was horrible having to do it every week, so I quit playing it.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Banned

I could never play online when I had it because of that retarded konami ID filter system.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have never had such problems. Still play it to this day with my clan mates and find it to be far superior to anything else on the market (Call Of Duty, Battlefield and Ghost Recon included). Of course, this is just my opinion. Shame it's closing down. It will be hard to replace.

Kiwi Defender

If I could, I'd pop MGS4 inside my PS3 and try to play. Then I'd wait a few hours (probably more than a few) for it to install. Afterwards, I'd try to remember my log-in and, atfer misserably failing a dozen times, would somehow get it right. As soon as that's done with, I'd hop into whatever match I could and be greeted by my long-time friend "Lag", which would cause me to: A) Get raped by all those who are playing on the match (who are, most likely, skilled players); Or B) Get kicked out by all those who are playing on the match due to bringing by great pal "lag" with me.

Such a shame I can't play right now

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I've never played it before, I've owned pretty much all MGS games since release as well. I remember setting up an account was a pain at one time. I'm also one of those crab asses who hate online for SP type games so I let my judgment get in the way which is probably why I never actually tried tried.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

MGS4 isn't currently installed on my PS3, and although I'd love to play MGO one last time, the amount of time needed to install and update it couldn't be justified for only a few hours of playtime. Besides, I'm at a low level if memory serves, so I'd just find myself being taken apart by more skilled players, which would start to grate on me after a while. Guess I'll just have to settle for remembering MGO as being an outstanding online service. I really do wish I'd been able to invest more time into it, though.

Check Those Corners

Wasn't it a japan only title? Thats what I remember hearing when they announced it.. but they might have ported it to the US Well, does not matter now.

PRO Member

Yeah. I would if I hadn't already uninstalled the massive game data...it would take way too long for me to even play since I haven't touched the online segment since 08.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 8 - Gold

Played it until the last second. Had a great game with a great group of people and we played until the notification message came up and the game ended 30 seconds later.

Game on....

I remember playing MGO when the game first came out and it was definitely fun. Eventually every game that has multiplayer online will have closed servers which is kind of sad really.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Yeah. I would if I hadn't already uninstalled the massive game data...it would take way too long for me to even play since I haven't touched the online segment since 08.
    Na, it was global but had separate servers for each region. I think there were three in total; Americas, Europe/Australia and Asia.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I have the game but haven't tried it yet. Guess I won't be able to experience MGS MP.