View Poll Results: Is XCOM: Enemy Unknown going to be a Boom or Bust Release in 2012?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm excited - it's going to be the best game EVAR!

4 57.14%
  • This is so 90's - nobody's going to buy/play this game

3 42.86%
  • I thought XCOM was a shooter... I have no clue.

0 0%

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Boom or Bust?

This is a discussion on XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Boom or Bust? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Let's get controversial here: I am an old geezer who played the '94 hit strategy game UFO: Enemy Unknown for ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Boom or Bust?

Let's get controversial here: I am an old geezer who played the '94 hit strategy game UFO: Enemy Unknown for nights on end back when I was young and a stud . I am appalled at today's (console) players who don't even know about the game (about just as much as that online kid that asked me whether we "had Hitler or Stalin" when I revealed I lived in Germany).

Now Firaxis (of Civilization fame if you don't know their other games ) has done a modern remake which for me pales every other game due out this year. And it's coming to PS3, too!! So no excuses for you anymore, hah!

Hear are some links to catch up with your deficient FPS, action-game oriented tunnel vision ;-):

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Game, Developer Diary: The Art Of XCOM | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Game, Developer Diary: Taking The Lead | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Game, E3 2012: Developer Diary: The Base | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Game, E3 2012: Trailer | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
    E3 2012 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Gameplay Demo - YouTube

Hands On (Safety Off): XCOM – Enemy Unknown | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (and everything else you can find there tagged 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' - it's a site for PC games, but the information applies to the PS3 version, too).

Now after reviewing it and getting excited about it (if you are not: see a doctor - you may have been infected by a Chryssalid), vote for it to be a boom game of 2012. Or discuss. ;-)

Crocodile Hunter

I think the problem is that game came out when id say half of us were under 10 and now its an old school game that isnt action and cod like so most people will ignore it

Sig by Apokolypz

Resident PHD

I remember when one of my soldiers would die back in the day. I was like "Oh Fudge!" only I didn't say Fudge

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

illegal in 9 countries

I'll definitely pick up XCOM, however I'm more than likely in the minority who loves turn-based strategy (Silent Storm being one of my faves) and I don't see it being a huge commercial success.

So it's boom for gamers like me, bust for the studio.

The Bushiest Pig

Imo it will be a bust, it doesn't seem to be having a lot of hype or talk or advertising. More of an under the radar type deal.

Who knows, it could beone of those games that doesnt get much attention but after it comes out turns out to be a hit.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Sinner and Saint

I also think it will be a bust. It's just not the type of game that's going to appeal to the masses in today's market I don't believe. I think it will probably have a relatively small cult following but I wouldn't look for it to be a commercial success. But who knows, could be awesome and spread like wildfire.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Of course we are in danger of comparing apples to coconuts here (this being a console oriented forum).

Joystiq magazine pretty much has XCOM: EU down as "best of show". IMO other magazines will fall in line if the game keeps up the quality it promises so far.

[Edit: Joystiq also has a two-writer opinion piece on their website, anticipating a "rennaissance of turn-based games". Looks like everybody who has a brain (and uses it) will enjoy this game. Hah!]

The Facebook site has 114K followers, which is decent at this point. Pretty much all of us "old dudes" will be into the game big time...

You are right, though: How do you get those unwashed uneducated CoD masses (oh, don't start - I am sure you know what a shower is! it's just a joke. mostly.) to notice and try the game?
    Last edited by AstaSyneri; 06-13-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Added another link

Sinner and Saint

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    You are right, though: How do you get those unwashed uneducated CoD masses (oh, don't start - I am sure you know what a shower is! it's just a joke. mostly.) to notice and try the game?

By force!!! We kidnap their wives, their children, their brothers and sisters and we MAKE. THEM. PLAAAYYY. Muahahahaha

Lvl 9 - Gold

Yeahhhh~
    I'm not a fan of strategy-anything so this game immediately fell off my radar as soon as I read that word in the GI article a few months back. It's a personal bust, but I'm not hating on it. It could end up being a Boom for the studio and the industry, it'll just be one I care nothing for.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I didn't vote but I had no idea what XCOM was awhile back but just from the looks I may be interested.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    Joystiq magazine pretty much has XCOM: EU down as "best of show". IMO other magazines will fall in line if the game keeps up the quality it promises so far.
    Not quite accurate. A few of the reviewers had it as the pick of the games they were allowed to demo at the event. Most of the best games couldn't be played.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it and thanks for the links.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Not quite accurate. A few of the reviewers had it as the pick of the games they were allowed to demo at the event. Most of the best games couldn't be played.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it and thanks for the links.
    You are welcome! Well, I was surprised that on average those editors seem to look forward to playing XCOM the most. So far everybody who has been exposed to the game has made very favorable comments.

@AizawaYuuicha: Yes, I can understand that. I don't like playing FPS unless they are cooperative or action games (God of War is lost on me, for example). So those fall under my radar.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

New information comes to light: After getting his hands on a playable demo Gameinformer's Adam Biessener writes:

As enthusiastic as I’ve been about Firaxis’ XCOM strategy remake since writing the GI cover story, my opinion has only improved since playing a decent chunk of it this morning
    and

I can say with no reservations that XCOM is my personal favorite thing shown at E3 2012.
    Read the full article here.

I predict 90+ ratings on review and a Metacritics rating of 85+.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I played all of em on PC. Even the first one. You could say I was obsessive. If one of me soldiers died, istareload and do over. I'm so gonna get this

Angel of Death

Not much advertisement for the game. It does look pretty cool, so I might get it, but overall, I don't think it's going to sell a lot.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

They did a lot of grass-roots advertising and currently I can hardly open a page without having XCOM advertisements somewhere.