Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mainstream music in games.

This is a discussion on Mainstream music in games. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; who thinks more use of mainstream music should be in video games? Be it rock, rap, country or any othere ...

PRO Member

Mainstream music in games.

who thinks more use of mainstream music should be in video games? Be it rock, rap, country or any othere genre of music.

I ask this because of me recently playing Black ops and on the mission were you are going up the river with Sympathy for The Devil playing by the Rolling Stones and to me it fit in purfectly.

I know some games have used mainstream music in their games like all the radio stations in GTA and the music games.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

id rather have games play the music on my hard drive. that way i dont have to listen to shitty songs

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Banned

Country music isn't mainstream.
    Mainstream is just rap, pop, rnb, techno and some styles of rock.
    I don't listen to anything modern anyway, all I listen to is 80's rock and 90's grunge.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    I don't listen to anything modern anyway, all I listen to is 80's rock and 90's grunge.
    how is country not mainstream? it still prominent

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

All out of bubblegum.....

Country is mainstream. I live in the middle of the desert, on the west coast of US, and we have 3 country stations, and probalby 20 country themed bars. Silly boy.

I would love this idea. On Black Ops, just imagine playing that with the Full Metal Jacket soundtrack in the background, or Vice City with Scarface soundtrack in background... EPIC!
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Definitely NOT ME. Firstly, "real" music doesn't go that well w/ games, it's rare when you get a good song to go w/ a trailer or section of a game, I'd rather hear creative theme song tracks like C&C - On The Prowl by Frank Klepacki (<--Highlight, Right click Google Search, Youtube). Or Mass Effect 2's / God of War themes & so on. Also I don't want to listen to Hip Hop cause I've had enough of that genre running this decade already.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Nope, nothing

I think where it fits then yeah, why not. But I do like a game to have original music made to fit in perfectly.

You don't know what you're talking about, if County isn't mainstream, neither is Techno.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    I think where it fits then yeah, why not. But I do like a game to have original music made to fit in perfectly.

You don't know what you're talking about, if County isn't mainstream, neither is Techno.
    Hehehehe

PRO Member

Hehehehe
    DERAILED!

But yeah. I would only want the music if it fits in the game...otherwise I wish I could listen to my own music in ALL games.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    DERAILED!

But yeah. I would only want the music if it fits in the game...otherwise I wish I could listen to my own music in ALL games.

Thats what I really was going for. If the song fits into a specific mission or part of the game then go for it. I wouldn't want in there just for the sake of it being in their. Some games don't need it.

Synthwave <3

Quote Originally Posted by snakebit10 View Post
    who thinks more use of mainstream music should be in video games? Be it rock, rap, country or any othere genre of music.

I ask this because of me recently playing Black ops and on the mission were you are going up the river with Sympathy for The Devil playing by the Rolling Stones and to me it fit in purfectly.

I know some games have used mainstream music in their games like all the radio stations in GTA and the music games.
    I know what you mean. Some mainstream songs like "Sympathy for the Devil" seem so epic when you get to a certain part of a game.

I can't really say that I'd like mainstream music to be in a game though as my tastes really vary. I mostly like music without words and have found some great music from games that were made solely for that game. I think I agree with many others so far and would like games to have their own custom music but with the option to listen to your own music. That way you can have the best of both worlds.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Banned

Oh and for the record Guns N' Roses cover version of Sympathy for the Devil is 10x better.

Guns N&#39; Rose - Sympathy Of The Devil - YouTube

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by bnecker717 View Post
    I know what you mean. Some mainstream songs like "Sympathy for the Devil" seem so epic when you get to a certain part of a game.

I can't really say that I'd like mainstream music to be in a game though as my tastes really vary. I mostly like music without words and have found some great music from games that were made solely for that game. I think I agree with many others so far and would like games to have their own custom music but with the option to listen to your own music. That way you can have the best of both worlds.
    I know what you mean. I definatly like when a game has it's own music. I couldn't see mainstream music in games like Uncharted or the killzone games.

I think Sympathy for the Devil in black ops works because of the era of the game and that song from being around that era. Then again I don't know how the Eminem song playing during the credits fits in.

PRO Member

Thats what I really was going for. If the song fits into a specific mission or part of the game then go for it. I wouldn't want in there just for the sake of it being in their. Some games don't need it.
    Agreed. Like when you're ripping through a bunch of enemies, perhaps some metal

|
    |by Smashguy |

Legendary...Nuff Said

No, that would be a shitty idea. If I want to listen to music while playing a game, I'll go get my iPod or use my laptop to play songs of my own choosing. I don't want to be forced into hearing music I dislike while I'm playing a game.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Can't decide if this went well with the game or not... but still, Rammstein <3 .

If it works, why not, if it doesn't, music composed specifically for the game is fine.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 4 - Silver

If the music fits I'd be fine with it. As for just playing at random times no way, but it would be cool for something kind of like El Jefe. I think it's be cool if you'd be able to edit each radio station in GTA with songs from your hard drive; doubt that'd ever happen though as you could just allow the system to play songs from your hard drive whenever. :l

"Jigglypuff is the Finest"

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Agreed. Like when you're ripping through a bunch of enemies, perhaps some metal
    Like some Cannible corpse or something.

PRO Member

Like some Cannible corpse or something.
    Haha...yes or Necrophagist

|
    |by Smashguy |

An old-fashioned cowboy

Agreed. If the song fits the part of the game its used in then I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be involved in the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast