Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Site Competition Idea - Create Your Own Game!

This is a discussion on Site Competition Idea - Create Your Own Game! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by JackAttack Removing bias would be the key, yes. It also depends on how well people explain their ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Removing bias would be the key, yes. It also depends on how well people explain their ideas. I suppose you'd need to lay out rules for that as well.

And if you rate a sig "A+" because it has a RE character in it, then you're not included as one who rates based on a general set of guidelines. I'm talking about how good lighting, flow, depth, etc, are. Nothing against you, just pointing that out.
    I was merely pointing out that it works both ways, the 'genre' loving even if their is set guidelines, whether it be in sig competitions or in what this comp is, or any comp with suggestive works. Know what I mean?

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Crocodile Hunter

its a good idea, depending on when it is i might sit this one out, got a lot of stuff on my plate right now

Sig by Apokolypz

NSFW

We may need a bit more information, to be sure of what being a judge actually means. Do they just come late to the party and begins to judge, or are they in an active process throughout the competition? Do they plan too? Do they decide the rules and guidelines too? What do they decide and what do they not decide? Because if you are looking for a help with the coordination too, I will gladly be of assistance.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

The Deathly Rhythm

Good Idea, I really want an other SSX tournament, I want a rematch against John3007
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Platinum Procrastinator

I'll throw my name in as well I guess. I think I'll make a game with zombies because I'm guaranteed easy money then as everyone knows you just add zombies to anything and it sells. That or I'll be sure to include only gold trophies for completing each level and also a plat. It'll be like combining Trine 2 with The Walking Dead. Heck maybe you'll be able to get all the trophies before even completing each level! Genius!!!

Vote for Denaratuck's game!

This message sponsored and endorsed by Denaratuck.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

The Stereotype Killer

This is an absolutely wonderful idea. I probably won't be able to create anything, but I do very much look forward to see what others come up with. I could help in other ways though, just gotta let me know.
    Twitter: Stereotypekillr
    Xbone: Stereotypekillr

PRO Member

can people team up?

Retired

I had some great ideas a couple of years back, but I forgot them :| and I'm not creative now, so I won't join.

But cool, I'd love it if this site made a studio and made all these games.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

any idea when the comp starts so i knw when to get ready

Mr. X

Sounds like a good idea. Jack has raised a good point though. I think you'd need some set rules as for what goes into an entry so everyone is entering the same but with different ideas. I'd also suggest that it needs some grounding in what could actually be done with a game for this gen.

I'd love to but I wouldn't have time to enter.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Synthwave <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Im in. I think I have a pretty good idea for a game.

What will the judging be based on? Like do the controls matter? Story? Setting? Multiplayer?
    My plan was to have the judging based on overall creativity in story and trophy list. I'm open to options though and I think it's a great idea someone gave that the judges join together to help come up with the rules. I want this to be as fair as possible but also leave room for your creativity. As for the controls and multiplayer you can include that in your game, but everyone should keep in mind that to win the game needs to make sense and should be grounded in terms of what we can do today in games. I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I think that would be the case if the judges were biased and not doing their jobs properly. I don't think it would be a problem because in reality any piece of creativity is going to meet the same pitfalls. With the sig competition you used as an example, the same 'genre favoritism' is still in place with that. I like RE and that sig has Jill in it so that is an A+.

I think BNecker needs to decide who the judges will be first and then, like you said, develop the 'grading rules' for the competition. Said that, even if there were no set rules, as long as the judges are not biased then it should not be a problem.

One suggestion I would have is BNecker not be a judge but a collector of the entrants and then give the judges the 'games' without the contestants name attached. This way friendships on the site will not come into play. As long as people don't advertise their game around, the judges can base their review more unbiasedly.
    I agree with you Lasombra. That is a great idea. I would love to judge, but it would be difficult collecting everything and trying to stay unbiased. Also, you are approved for being a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    Well.... I think the idea sounded fine until the artists got involved. I don't know why, but I think having judging upon the niceness about the looks kinda ruins the idea of the competition. Of course it's all well and all if they can get an artist to create concept design to further express their point, but I do not think, that it should be judged based on the artists behaviour.

Even though I have a really great idea, I think I'm gonna try to sign up as a judge (if I get accepted, that is). If you need a sort of resumé or something I would happily provide something along those lines.
    I was thinking that the artistic part would only be something extra that you can optionally do. The judging won't be based on that, but can be used to make your presentation look good and to make things more fun. I think it's similar to some competitions to create the best presentation and people can choose to use Powerpoint to create a presentation. Thank you for your interest, you are approved to be a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    We may need a bit more information, to be sure of what being a judge actually means. Do they just come late to the party and begins to judge, or are they in an active process throughout the competition? Do they plan too? Do they decide the rules and guidelines too? What do they decide and what do they not decide? Because if you are looking for a help with the coordination too, I will gladly be of assistance.
    I would definitely appreciate getting the judge's input and help with planning. I want everything to be fair and make sense and I think that having everyone's input will help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    can people team up?
    To be fair to everyone I am making this a solo competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    I had some great ideas a couple of years back, but I forgot them :| and I'm not creative now, so I won't join.

But cool, I'd love it if this site made a studio and made all these games.
    Now that would be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alliren View Post
    This is an absolutely wonderful idea. I probably won't be able to create anything, but I do very much look forward to see what others come up with. I could help in other ways though, just gotta let me know.
    Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemises15 View Post
    any idea when the comp starts so i knw when to get ready
    I haven't picked a date because I wanted to get everyone's input. How does early July sound to everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. Jack has raised a good point though. I think you'd need some set rules as for what goes into an entry so everyone is entering the same but with different ideas. I'd also suggest that it needs some grounding in what could actually be done with a game for this gen.

I'd love to but I wouldn't have time to enter.
    Yes, I agree. The judging will be based on games that are grounded in our current time.

Also, to everyone else that posted to this thread thank you so much for your interest. I'm really looking forward to this competition. I can't wait to see everyone's creativity! I think this will be a lot of fun.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Galaxy beauty pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    can people team up?
    I like this idea actually (not more then 3-4 persons, just small teams). Maybe more people will join because you won't have that much work when you do it alone. I'm more likely to join if I can team up, even if it's just with one person.
    Sig by Ramon

Synthwave <3

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I like this idea actually (not more then 3-4 persons, just small teams). Maybe more people will join because you won't have that much work when you do it alone. I'm more likely to join if I can team up, even if it's just with one person.
    Well, if no one has any problems with it then I think that would be okay. I was only worried that people who did it solo might think it was unfair, but if everyone is cool with teams being allowed then there shouldn't be a problem. What does everybody think?

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Mr. X

Why not have a winner picked by judges and a users vote? It'd be a nice way to keep those not taking part or judging to still be involved.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Trophy Guide Kitten

Why not have a winner picked by judges and a users vote? It'd be a nice way to keep those not taking part or judging to still be involved.
    I agree with him a bit. Why don't each judge pick their favorite and let the community vote on the winner
    K? Thanks

Synthwave <3

That sounds like a good idea. I'd love to get more members involved. I think that would be a great way to keep the thread alive while the competition is going on and then people can give feedback, comments, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    I agree with him a bit. Why don't each judge pick their favorite and let the community vote on the winner
    Thanks and I agree. It does sound good. At first I wasn't sure how this could work, but if I did it like this it should work smoothly:

To keep things unbiased I could collect everyone's game ideas by a certain cut-off time. I would then number them and keep the names private when I post everyone's submissions on the thread. The judge's could then vote on their favorites and then the community could vote on the games that were the judge's favorites. After the votes are in the winner will be announced.

Let me know what you think.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Harvester of Souls

I like this idea . It's unique and can show off some interesting ideas from our members. I'm down for competing as well if I can get enough time coming up. Coll Bnecker

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Sounds like it could be a fun idea. Could our vision of a remake count? For example how would my version have differed to the version that was released [if applicable]?
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Jay
    ಠ_ಠ

Sounds like an awesome competition

Might even join in myself, I'm not particularly creative though...

Synthwave <3

I just updated the OP with some changes that I've made to the competition. Thank you everyone for your interest and for sharing your thoughts and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    I like this idea . It's unique and can show off some interesting ideas from our members. I'm down for competing as well if I can get enough time coming up. Coll Bnecker
    Awesome, thx and glad to hear it Admiral Nero!

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Sounds like it could be a fun idea. Could our vision of a remake count? For example how would my version have differed to the version that was released [if applicable]?
    Sure, I have no problem with that as long as your vision is original and not just a few tweaks of a game that is already out. Also, the trophy list must be your own and not from the original game.

Personally, I would love to do something like this for the Matrix game. I never played the PS2 game, but have heard it wasn't all that great. I would love to come up with my own PS3 version of the game with trophies and all and really make it as epic as the movies were. This won't be my example game, but maybe I'll share it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Sounds like an awesome competition

Might even join in myself, I'm not particularly creative though...
    Awesome, thx and if you're lacking in the creative area maybe you could team up with someone and brainstorm together.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast