Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Site Competition Idea - Create Your Own Game!

This is a discussion on Site Competition Idea - Create Your Own Game! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This thread is to gauge your interest in an upcoming site competition. Before I can get approval for a site ...

Synthwave <3

Site Competition Idea - Create Your Own Game!

This thread is to gauge your interest in an upcoming site competition. Before I can get approval for a site award I need to find out how many people would be interested in participating. If you have any questions or ideas then please share them in your post.

Have you ever thought of a cool idea for a game and wished you could share it with others? Well, here’s your chance. I plan to host a competition where people will compete to see who has the best game idea. The contestants that compete will be given a certain amount of time (I’m thinking a few weeks to a month … let me know what you think) to come up with a unique idea for a game. You will also need to create a trophy list for the game.

You can be as creative as you want. As there are a lot of artistic people on this site you could ask one of the artists to help you with creating concept art for your game and/or create trophy icon pics to go with the trophy list that you create. You can also give prices for your game, a release date, tell what platforms it will be on, etc. However creative you want to get is up to you. The main thing is to come up with a cool game idea with a trophy list and try to win!

After you present your game, a panel of judges will go over the ideas and vote. The person with the most votes wins. To give you an idea of what is expected of you I will start off the competition by giving an example of a game idea that I have with a trophy list, etc.

I think this will be a fun way to show off your creativity and love for gaming. Let me know what you think and if you’re interested. I don’t have a set date of when this competition will start, but I am flexible so share any ideas you have.

Thanks!

UPDATES:

Here are some updates to the competition. Thank you so much to everyone that has shared their thoughts and ideas. I will post more here if anything changes.

Confirmed Judges:

Lasombra
    gyrocop
    Helyx
    Wargazsem
    DaveyHasselhoff
    Compalicious
    Schismalicious
    SideEffect
    Jenkem_Addict88

More coming soon ...

Working Solo/Teams:

Several people have expressed interest in working in teams. I think that's a great idea as it will give people on the site a chance to collaborate their ideas and maybe even start new friendships.

The teams can consist of 2 people. The collaboration must be fair and shared evenly. If you don't help out your team your Captain can seek approval to have you removed from the team. If you would prefer to compete Solo you may do that also.

There will be two different prizes - one for solo and one for a team. In order to have prizes though we need to have at least 5 Solo competitors and 5 teams.

If anyone has anymore thoughts on this feel free to share!

Judges/Community Vote:

In order to let the PS3T.com community get more involved with this competition the community will be allowed to get involved. After I gather all of the competitors finished ideas by the cut-off time, I will post them on the competition thread with numbers (no names to keep it unbiased) assigned to them. Everyone can take a look and enjoy the creative works of their peers while the judges vote for their favorites. The top votes from the judges will then be brought to the community by a poll that everyone can vote on. Whoever gets the most votes wins the competition.
    Last edited by bnecker717; 07-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Buy my book, Alteration

I'm down. I have a whole bunch of ideas.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Banned

Survival horror
    There is like 0 survival horror franchises left, so there is plenty of room and no chance of it being generic.

Resident PHD

I might try to come up with something.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

Fantastic idea...who will be on the panel?

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Synthwave <3

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Fantastic idea...who will be on the panel?
    Thanks! I can't say for sure yet, but I definitely will be and Compalicious, DaveyHasselhoff and AntoniosBandana have expressed interest. If anyone else is interested in being a judge let me know.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Sinner and Saint

Yeah, I also may try to come up with something. What a great idea!

Sig & Avy by the amazing: apokolypz : PPS Bar by: RaveNScythE18

The Warlord's Path to Platinum

Galaxy beauty pirate

Great idea! Hopefully I can come up with something.
    Sig by Ramon

Lvl 1 - Bronze

im down for the comp put my name down for entrence im sure i can come up with something and a great idea it is too mate and game design and trophy list comp very good idea mate

Rainbow in the dark

Sounds like a lot of work, depending on what the price is i might join... Maybe a nude picture of Artemis might convince me
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Kid, not loser

Im in. I think I have a pretty good idea for a game.

What will the judging be based on? Like do the controls matter? Story? Setting? Multiplayer?

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Like daft says this is a fantastic idea but for me i wouldnt be able to take part but im really keen on seeing what other people come up with.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Legend...Nuff Said

Put me down as a judge please. I have so much on the go I fear I'd be too burnt out to put the effort into this to make it a Platinum effort.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Chuck Norris Approved.

Sounds like a good idea, too much going on to take part but good idea no less.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

In2
    January MOTM

That's a great idea, if i find time i will definitely give it a try.

Awesome Sig by Beam/Avatar by Me

In2's Endless Dream
    Check my Showcase to see my old/current work.

Follow and watch my latest work.

Legendary...Nuff Said

The problem with judging who has the best idea is that there can't be a basis for judgement; it would be too opinionated. For instance, with a signature competition, yeah of course it's opinionated, but the terms in which most base their opinion off of are all set in stone. With this, the guy who likes open-world games would vote for the open-world game idea, the guy who likes fighters would vote for the fighter idea, etc. You need to set rules for how to judge the idea(s) in order for this to work.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    The problem with judging who has the best idea is that there can't be a basis for judgement; it would be too opinionated. For instance, with a signature competition, yeah of course it's opinionated, but the terms in which most base their opinion off of are all set in stone. With this, the guy who likes open-world games would vote for the open-world game idea, the guy who likes fighters would vote for the fighter idea, etc. You need to set rules for how to judge the idea(s) in order for this to work.
    I think that would be the case if the judges were biased and not doing their jobs properly. I don't think it would be a problem because in reality any piece of creativity is going to meet the same pitfalls. With the sig competition you used as an example, the same 'genre favoritism' is still in place with that. I like RE and that sig has Jill in it so that is an A+.

I think BNecker needs to decide who the judges will be first and then, like you said, develop the 'grading rules' for the competition. Said that, even if there were no set rules, as long as the judges are not biased then it should not be a problem.

One suggestion I would have is BNecker not be a judge but a collector of the entrants and then give the judges the 'games' without the contestants name attached. This way friendships on the site will not come into play. As long as people don't advertise their game around, the judges can base their review more unbiasedly.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

NSFW

Well.... I think the idea sounded fine until the artists got involved. I don't know why, but I think having judging upon the niceness about the looks kinda ruins the idea of the competition. Of course it's all well and all if they can get an artist to create concept design to further express their point, but I do not think, that it should be judged based on the artists behaviour.

Even though I have a really great idea, I think I'm gonna try to sign up as a judge (if I get accepted, that is). If you need a sort of resumé or something I would happily provide something along those lines.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I think that would be the case if the judges were biased and not doing their jobs properly. I don't think it would be a problem because in reality any piece of creativity is going to meet the same pitfalls. With the sig competition you used as an example, the same 'genre favoritism' is still in place with that. I like RE and that sig has Jill in it so that is an A+.

I think BNecker needs to decide who the judges will be first and then, like you said, develop the 'grading rules' for the competition. Said that, even if there were no set rules, as long as the judges are not biased then it should not be a problem.

One suggestion I would have is BNecker not be a judge but a collector of the entrants and then give the judges the 'games' without the contestants name attached. This way friendships on the site will not come into play. As long as people don't advertise their game around, the judges can base their review more unbiasedly.
    Removing bias would be the key, yes. It also depends on how well people explain their ideas. I suppose you'd need to lay out rules for that as well.

And if you rate a sig "A+" because it has a RE character in it, then you're not included as one who rates based on a general set of guidelines. I'm talking about how good lighting, flow, depth, etc, are. Nothing against you, just pointing that out.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

The One and Only

I love this idea! If this goes well and gets approved by Sub, I'll definitely participate in the competition and play to win.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast