swaping hdd ,from old fat ps3 to new slim?

This is a discussion on swaping hdd ,from old fat ps3 to new slim? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi guys well my old fat boy needs updaten. i got hold of a nice new slim 120gig but i ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

swaping hdd ,from old fat ps3 to new slim?

Hi guys well my old fat boy needs updaten. i got hold of a nice new slim 120gig but i wana put my old fatboys hdd in the new slimy ps as i upgraded my fatboys hdd to a 500 gig it hold most my data from ps life so far ,

my question to you all or sumone who has done same thing is?
    is it possable ?
    can i just swap it and go again?
    drive i put in ps3fatboy was a scorpin blue wd 4500rpm 500gig its been mint but will it go in a new slim??

Death is Awaiting....

No if you swap your hard drives to out in the slim it will just re format it.. so no i don't think it would work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

On the edge

Quote Originally Posted by PS3GAMERMAN View Post
    Hi guys well my old fat boy needs updaten. i got hold of a nice new slim 120gig but i wana put my old fatboys hdd in the new slimy ps as i upgraded my fatboys hdd to a 500 gig it hold most my data from ps life so far ,

my question to you all or sumone who has done same thing is?
    is it possable ?
    can i just swap it and go again?
    drive i put in ps3fatboy was a scorpin blue wd 4500rpm 500gig its been mint but will it go in a new slim??
    Yes the HDD from the fat PS3 will fit in the Slim PS3.....however, it will format the drive when you power it on.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

wow thanks for the help guys maybe i could back up my 500 gig then pop it in and format it then reinstall data would that work ?? or dose anyone know how to tranzfur my data over the 2 systems thats old ps fat data to new slim . also my data on 500gig way to big to swap too 120 slim at mo

Buy my book, Alteration

Good to know the HDD can be swapped! I was thinking about upgrading to a Slim myself...

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I believe it will work if you backup your Fat PS3 hard drive to an external drive, and after you install your drive into the new slim do a system restore off of your backup. At least that is my understanding..., and it better work, because I need to do the exact same thing!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

My 40GB PS3 got that YLOD and i got a new PS3 (160GB) so when i tried swapping it said it would format it and delete everything.I had made stuff there but lost it. I guess the fat and slim have different format or w.e. I was pissed the F**K OFF! but its all good.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Q-werty_99 View Post
    I believe it will work if you backup your Fat PS3 hard drive to an external drive, and after you install your drive into the new slim do a system restore off of your backup. At least that is my understanding..., and it better work, because I need to do the exact same thing!
    This works in principle, however, some games will refuse to use save data as it was not created on the same system. This doesn't apply to some games, but does for most. You're better off trying and seeing if it will work before actually going ahead with it. It won't effect other data, but I assumed that was your main worry.

I know you can store your save data online through PSN is you are a Playstation Plus member. Though I generally don't find Playstation Plus a legitimate investment, it seems like this may be the way to go to synchronise all your data.

P.S. I personally love the old style PS3s and since I have the 60GB have no intention of swapping it out. Mind, if you have extra drive space, why do you want to swap it out? There a problem with it? Or is it purely a space or style issue?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

hay there i was playng with ay slimy for a wile it was ok but sold it now just my old fat boy modded hdd to 500 gig but shes getn full again lol..

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Evo_SI View Post
    My 40GB PS3 got that YLOD and i got a new PS3 (160GB) so when i tried swapping it said it would format it and delete everything.I had made stuff there but lost it. I guess the fat and slim have different format or w.e. I was pissed the F**K OFF! but its all good.
    Any system no matter what version will reformat. If you take your HDD out of the PS3 you have now and stick it back in it will force you to reformat. Thats just how it goes.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    Any system no matter what version will reformat. If you take your HDD out of the PS3 you have now and stick it back in it will force you to reformat. Thats just how it goes.
    A HDD only reformats if you stick it in a different PS3. Putting it back in the PS3 it came from is fine.