David Jaffe (Creator of Twisted Metal, God of War) Says Consoles will be dead Next Generation

This is a discussion on David Jaffe (Creator of Twisted Metal, God of War) Says Consoles will be dead Next Generation within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Game consoles will be extinct after next-gen, says Jaffe | GamesIndustry International David Jaffe is never one to hold back ...

INTJ

David Jaffe (Creator of Twisted Metal, God of War) Says Consoles will be dead Next Generation

Game consoles will be extinct after next-gen, says Jaffe | GamesIndustry International

David Jaffe is never one to hold back an opinion, so after we talked in depth about the free-to-play market and his next project at his new San Diego studio, we also decided to pick the designer's brain on the Wii U and how the console market is shaping up. As it turns out, Jaffe isn't very excited by Wii U and he ultimately thinks consoles in general will soon be dinosaurs.

"I don't see the Wii U and say 'oh my God I have to have that.' But with new hardware that's usually the case; the software's going to drive it. Or it's like Apple and the hardware is so elegantly designed that it's like, 'Oh they make toilet plungers? I'll buy it!' I played some games, I enjoyed Rayman... it's not like I'm knocking it but I would say that I wasn't blown away by any individual piece of software that was exclusive to Wii U," Jaffe commented.

"But their audience isn't necessarily core gamers like you or the analysts you talk to, so I could still see Wii U being mainstream. But honestly though, if I had to put money down, I think that the iPhone and the iPad has basically taken the market that was so excited by the Wii and so I think Wii U is not going to be anywhere near the success of the Wii. But I don't fucking know - I mean I thought PSP was going to clobber the DS. I'm in the industry, I make a living in the industry, but I have no track record of guessing this shit."

Jaffe wanted to make it clear that he's not bashing Nintendo. "Nintendo's a great company and they're creative and artistic and I wish them well. They're forward thinking and I always want people like that to succeed," he continued.

The bottom line is that Jaffe believes consoles are on their last legs.

"So while I don't think it's going to do as well as the Wii, I don't think any of the consoles are going to do as well as they used to. It's a declining market, I think. That doesn't speak ill to any of them as pieces of hardware - it just speaks about the fact that the industry has changed, the business models have changed and the world has gotten even smaller with smartphones and tablets and the internet, and stuff like Gaikai and streaming."

"Look, consoles are going away. I think in 10 years - probably sooner, but 10 years is always the safe thing to say so you don't sound like an idiot - but here's what I'll say: I'll go on the record and say that the next generation of hardware will be the last consoles. And they should be," Jaffe asserted.

"It doesn't mean you won't buy a piece of hardware from Sony, but you'll probably buy a television that streams the stuff. And you'll still have Sony, loud and proud and strong making these great, big, epic games like God of War and Uncharted, and they'll be making great little games like Sound Shapes, but they'll become more like movie studios for video games. I'll be able to stream in the next Uncharted and Plants vs Zombies and you won't even think about it. It'll just be like I can watch a public access show on my TV or I can watch Avatar."

Jaffe concluded, "So this is the last generation of consoles coming up. I'm going to go out on a limb, because why the f**k not? I don't care if I'm wrong, I'm not a business guy. I think next-gen consoles are going to do 40 percent of [the sales volume] of the current gen hardware."

"The asteroid has hit the Earth, the dust cloud is covering the sun and the dinosaurs are on the way out - but not the games! We'll always have great games and bleeding edge graphics... it's just going to be a new delivery mechanism."

Lvl 7 - Gold

Does he sound like he is on meth to anyone else?

Anyway, yeah hardware sales are probably going to go down. I can see that happening.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

PRO Member

He has a good point. Think about arcade machines. They provided a much better experience than the home consoles at the time, but playing on a home console was just so much easier than driving down to your local arcade and spending money every time you die. Consoles provide much bigger experiences (and arguably better) than an Iphone or Android game but it is a lot easier to spend a buck or two on a game and play an awesome IOS game within seconds than to drive down to your local gamestop or just do a 2-3 hour download to play an awesome console game. Who knows, maybe one day Iphone games will beable to provide the experiences that we have on console at a better price.

Sig by Bladia

Platinum Dohvakiin

Jaffe concluded, "So this is the last generation of consoles coming up. I'm going to go out on a limb, because why the f**k not? I don't care if I'm wrong, I'm not a business guy. I think next-gen consoles are going to do 40 percent of [the sales volume] of the current gen hardware."

The Bold just makes everything he says before this. Completely irrelevant. If he's not in the business of making consoles. Than STFU. You make games not consoles. So talk about what you KNOW. Not what you have no idea about.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Buy my book, Alteration

I could see consoles dead in some odd number of years, but quite frankly I think video games is a growing industry, so I don't see consoles going anywhere for a while.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    The Bold just makes everything he says before this. Completely irrelevant. If he's not in the business of making consoles. Than STFU. You make games not consoles. So talk about what you KNOW. Not what you have no idea about.
    Jaffe likes to spout stupid shit (That he thinks is intelligent), to sounds more relevant than he actually is. He has no clue what he's talking about.

Why people even give a shit what he's thinking is beyond me.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Retired

PS360 you should put OPINION on the topic name to stop the people from bashing.

Harvester of Souls

I can agree slightly with some consoles selling more and some of it being more focused on a different delivery mechansim, but I don't honestly think it's going to be dead after the Next-Gen stuff. I'd say got many more moons before that happens, though I could almost see it ... I'm still doubting.

I do plan to keep my PS3 for a while depending on how the Next-Gen stuff will work and be backwards compatible and all. So far I see no reason to release them so early. Just marketing and money thing but that's the world I guess.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 7 - Gold

Semi-related why did he leave Eat Sleep Play? (or whatever they were called?)
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    I don't think he left??? U think him and that studio are making IOS games now. Correct me if I am wrong.

Sig by Bladia

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    Go to davidjaffe.biz, he explains why.

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    PS360 you should put OPINION on the topic name to stop the people from bashing.
    We know it's an opinion. It's a stupid opinion coming from a stupid person, who is still trying to remain relevant.
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I didn't read the entire thing but I myself feel like the next gen. will be the last for consoles, I myself have already begun transition to PC gaming w/ a pretty awesome rig, there are no limitations & gaming just gets better & better as hardware improves for PC, I don't even think I will be apart of console gaming next gen. which will be a first. Top that onto all the rumors / issues going on w/ consoles already like $60 dollar price tags, online passes, online memberships, aging hardware, always online connectivity, etc.

The list goes on.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    I didn't read the entire thing but I myself feel like the next gen. will be the last for consoles, I myself have already begun transition to PC gaming, there are no limitations & gaming just gets better & better as hardware improves for PC, I don't even think I will be apart of console gaming next gen. which will be a first. Top that onto all the rumors / issues going on w/ consoles already like $60 dollar price tags, online passes, online memberships, aging hardware, always online connectivity, etc. The list goes on.

The issues you just mentioned are already on PC. Always online DRM has been a thorn in PC gamer's side for AGES. If consoles cease to exist, do you think everything you just mentioned will just disappear? No, it'll still be there for gamers to pay for.

And I don't see consoles going anywhere. He mentions smartphones, tablets and streaming. Even if tablets and smartphones reach the game quality of consoles people will prefer to play on a home console. There are handheld consoles with amazing games out there, but most people still prefer to sit in front of a big TV and play a game. As for streaming, I hope high speed broadband internet will become affordable and accessible in the entire world or streaming will alienate a lot of costumers.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

[Silent Assassin]The issues you just mentioned are already on PC. Always online DRM has been a thorn in PC gamer's side for AGES. If consoles cease to exist, do you think everything you just mentioned will just disappear? No, it'll still be there for gamers to pay for.
    Well no shit man, when it comes to that yes, PC vs. Consoles can have similar battles from the industry (DRM) but IMO it's more of a blow for console gamers since the limited control they already have, being constantly beat down from all the issues I've carelessly listed as an example with the main selling point being the hardware limitations & pricing.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Platinum Procrastinator

Why do people even listen to Jaffe. He's an idiot and always says stupid shit. I can't stand the guy and just ignore everything he says.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Games are a growing market and will be for a long time to come. Our generation will keep playing them for a very long time and the next generation after us are going to play them as well, thats already almost double your market in not a huge amount of time. I know that the guy was saying that consoles will die not necessary the industry, but don't think thats true either. Sure its more than likely in 2 consoles time it will be download only (like a gaming netflix), but Sony and Microsoft know that the biggest advertisement of their brand is through a physical item rather than charging for an "internet cloud"

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    We know it's an opinion. It's a stupid opinion coming from a stupid person, who is still trying to remain relevant.
    There's no such thing as a stupid opinion. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's stupid.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I like how the disclaimers he makes about him just guessing, and also thinking that the PSP would beat the DS and how wrong he was about it, and reiterating how he really doesn't know what he's talking about avoids the "bold" treatment from PS360.

To be fair, I think this death of the consoles is a half truth. Will consoles be the same as they started out this generation? No, consoles as purely gaming devices alone are out the window. Nobody wants to buy a console that is just a console, so much as people want something that is a total media device. Saying that consoles are not going to exist all together, would be like somebody saying 10 years ago that mobile phones are going to disappear because they aren't going to be the same. Phones now are much more than phones, and it's rare you see a phone being advertised for what it is supposed to be - a device to dial a number and talk to somebody else in a real time conversation - to something that does all the other things along with being a phone.

So, from what I gather from a lot of the E3 jargon, and all the non-gaming news that people keep going off about, is that the games are starting to take a little bit of a backseat for some consumers in buying them. Is it possible that exclusive titles will matter less than the content you stream on your "console" and the type of other smart devices you own that will be able to work with it? I'm unsure, I don't feel that a lot of the console public is at that point yet, or cares about those bells and whistles as much as the games themselves, but it's a possibility that does have a realistic chance of happening.

I don't think consoles are going anywhere, but it might end up fused up in some kind of hybrid device with your PC or cable box in the near future and cause a little less clutter in our home entertainment devices in the near future. Until broadband internet it is readily available to everyone and consistent, along with 3G, or 4G, or 5G, or whatever else is out by then is available in all areas, I don't think that this streaming device in your cable box, TV, or PC, is a feasible option for enough people, in enough places yet to be the standard way of things. So I'd hold my horses on writing the obituaries of the home console just yet - I just expect it to do a lot more than be a video game console, and be more of your go to multimedia device for a lot more than things than just gaming.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    There's no such thing as a stupid opinion. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's stupid.
    Nah, it's still a stupid opinion.

Anyway, are you defending Jaffe's idiotic statement? I ask because you seem to have gotten overly defensive regarding my post.