Australia officially introduces R18+ for games

This is a discussion on Australia officially introduces R18+ for games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Australia officially introduces R18+ for games - GameSpot.com Better late than never...welcome to the big leagues Australia. As discussed previously, ...

illegal in 9 countries

Australia officially introduces R18+ for games

Australia officially introduces R18+ for games - GameSpot.com

Better late than never...welcome to the big leagues Australia.

As discussed previously, not having R18+ has never really been a problem for Aussies. Very few games are refused classification, Mortal Kombat being the most recent, most of them are rated MA15+ instead.

That's the primary motivation for the Australian goverment - take violent games out of the hands of teenagers rather than giving them to adults, so most current MA15+ games will be reclassified as R18+. Either way, it works for me.

I'll continue to import my games...we still have the ridiculous 50-100% markup vs USA and UK to deal with at Aussie retailers - a $40 - $60 USD game will cost Aussies $90 - $110, despite the parity of our currencies. Price gouging at it's finest! Little wonder Game went under Down Under

Nope, nothing

It's about time they did that, it's pretty daft that an 18 rating wasn't in place already

Good news to Aussies

Closing this account

Now if only the game prices were not so high.

Crocodile Hunter

Thank fuck for this

Sig by Apokolypz

MERRY QWARKMAS

Congrats to ant, ac3, kerwan, kelstar, feral and all the rest of you crazy Aussies

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY DSLUCKAY AND UBER-SEXY PLATBAR BY IN2

Lvl 6 - Silver

Do you guys have the same problems with films? Just wondering, as I have heard a lot of controversy about the rating of games but not anything about films?
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Australia officially introduces R18+ for games - GameSpot.com

Better late than never...welcome to the big leagues Australia.

As discussed previously, not having R18+ has never really been a problem for Aussies. Very few games are refused classification, Mortal Kombat being the most recent, most of them are rated MA15+ instead.

That's the primary motivation for the Australian goverment - take violent games out of the hands of teenagers rather than giving them to adults, so most current MA15+ games will be reclassified as R18+. Either way, it works for me.

I'll continue to import my games...we still have the ridiculous 50-100% markup vs USA and UK to deal with at Aussie retailers - a $40 - $60 USD game will cost Aussies $90 - $110, despite the parity of our currencies. Price gouging at it's finest! Little wonder Game went under Down Under
    Wait, when did you get parity with the US? Thats news to me in the world of currency.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles

I'm the Oogie Boogie Man

Well that opens some doors for you Aussies.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!

Roo Commander

As much as I like this news I'm not looking forward to getting asked for id when buying games I'm 21 for fuck sake lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Do you guys have the same problems with films? Just wondering, as I have heard a lot of controversy about the rating of games but not anything about films?
    Nah the ratings are alright when it comes to movies

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    As much as I like this news I'm not looking forward to getting asked for id when buying games I'm 21 for fuck sake lol.

Nah the ratings are alright when it comes to movies
    Lol. I haven't had to show my ID in quite some time. I'm a big dude always had facial hair. Lol, as a matter of fact, I was buying alcohol when I was 19.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18//GDT COMPs bar by djunglist

Roo Commander

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    Lol. I haven't had to show my ID in quite some time. I'm a big dude always had facial hair. Lol, as a matter of fact, I was buying alcohol when I was 19.
    Lucky bastard lol. I think they are just retarted or imbred here, they always ask my 27 year old brother for id and he looks over 18.

PRO Member

So whens this surpose to come into play then I already heard we ain't getting no games banned re classified which sux but whatever I'm over it ..and yea the price of games here is annoying our dollar is worth more the usd is at moment after all so why are we paying more for our games..lucky for me I moved on I only buy games in this rip off country when the games are cheap.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Congrats to ant, ac3, kerwan, kelstar, feral and all the rest of you crazy Aussies
    I second that!

On a side-note, you really should petition the government to do something about those crazy price mark-ups. In my opinion, the Australian currency is pretty strong by itself so any economic reason why they would want to make such absurd prices?
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Roo Commander

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    I second that!

On a side-note, you really should petition the government to do something about those crazy price mark-ups. In my opinion, the Australian currency is pretty strong by itself so any economic reason why they would want to make such absurd prices?
    Meh the government is busy dealing with other shit. They like making us pay heaps cause they can

Random Access Memories

Damn! I had no idea that there was that large of a price markup for your games! This is definitely some great news for all the Aussies!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    It's only been a problem for video games, every other form of media has R18+.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Wait, when did you get parity with the US? Thats news to me in the world of currency.
    The AUD has mostly been above parity with the USD since the global financial crisis.

Aussie interest rates are relatively high compared to the rest of the Western world thanks in large part to our mining industry, which makes Australia an attractive place to park cash.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    Aussie drinking age is 18. It's been that way since the Vietnam War when it was argued that if we're old enough to die for our country, we're old enough to drink. There's a push to raise it to 21 to combat alcohol-related violence and road accident death tolls.

Six Weeks Off Work

Average American Pay - 14.97ph x 40hrs = $598.80 - $40 to $60 per game
    Average Australian Pay- 25.63ph x 40hrs = $1025.2 - $100 to $110 per game

That right there is the reason that us Australians have to pay more for games I would rather pay more for games than live on a American paycheck any day

GDT RIP Biggest
    Competition of 2013
    Will be drawn very soon

GDT RIP Competitions
    On holidays and will resume on February 1st 2014

Now Playing
    Final Fantasy XIV:
    A Realm Reborn

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    Average American Pay - 14.97ph x 40hrs = $598.80 - $40 to $60 per game
    Average Australian Pay- 25.63ph x 40hrs = $1025.2 - $100 to $110 per game

That right there is the reason that us Australians have to pay more for games I would rather pay more for games than live on a American paycheck any day
    Average pay is a poor indicator as its skewed in favour of the wealthy. It also doesn't account for our high tax rates which for average income would be around 25-35%...significantly higher than equivalent US tax brackets.

Most people don't take home $1000 a week, myself included. I do know folks earning triple and quadruple that, but I know more who earn less than half.

If you're going to make that argument, average UK wages are higher than Oz, yet they pay on par with the US for games. Those numbers don't hold up if retail prices are linked to average income.

Australia is a nation brainwashed into paying excessively high tax and retail prices. Our retail sector is in recession thanks to explosive growth in online shopping. Why pay retail to buy the same item at a walk-in store when you can pay half online and have it delivered to your door?
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 06-18-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Good, now we won't have to hear about those stupid government people saying they should be banned and what-not!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Six Weeks Off Work

The common factory worker gets over $1000 before tax now.
    9 years ago I used to work in a slaughter house doing 70hr weeks pulling in $1700 after tax.
    I used to own a clothing store & my employees were on 23.87ph x 40hr which was above average.
    As long as your not a teenager, centerlink bum or working in McDonalds etc & your prepared to work hard the pays are there

& if the average is in favour of the wealthy that would mean the same for the American average as well which still puts Australia ahead I have lived in Both America & Australia & I find it easier to live here in Australia but thats just my opinion

GDT RIP Biggest
    Competition of 2013
    Will be drawn very soon

GDT RIP Competitions
    On holidays and will resume on February 1st 2014

Now Playing
    Final Fantasy XIV:
    A Realm Reborn