Dualshock 3 controllers

This is a discussion on Dualshock 3 controllers within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Well, the time has come for me to buy a 2nd controller, and as always I turn over to good ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Dualshock 3 controllers

Well, the time has come for me to buy a 2nd controller, and as always I turn over to good people at amazon for this. But somehow there's a catch!

Do you know the difference between these 2 controllers?

#1 Dualshock Controller - White (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games
    #2 Official Sony DualShock 3 Controller White PS3: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

And if you do... Which one should I get? The feedback on both is almost identical.

ALSO! This thread can be used as general discussion for PS3 controllers.
    Personally I find them highly appealing. There is just enough buttons for everything, and the placement is perfect! Also I love convex thumb sticks (and their placement). Only thing bad I can think of - on this generation of Dualshocks is the trigger buttons. They could have made them like actual triggers (concave),when I just bought a ps3, it took some time to get used to (my fingers slipped off often). But now I'm used to it and it feels natural.

Now I have tried playing Gears of War 2 with xbox360 controller and it just felt crazy and out of place... I did however use dualshock since ps1, and never owned an xbox, so I guess it's a matter of getting used to. Overall I wouldn't call either "stick placement" superior, they're only as good, as you want them to be.

Resident PHD

That is so weird they are the same controller but different prices. I say go for the cheaper one because they are both Sony Dualshock 3 so it should be the same thing.

Also I don't know about the UK (I am guessing that is where you are from) but in Canada at Christmas time we get bundles which are a DS3 and a game for 59.99$ (5 bucks for a game) so if you get those maybe just wait or order from Amazon.ca when they become available.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 3 - Bronze

just had a look and they seem identical plus there both supplied by the same person so I dunno if there is any difference, but with controllers i always go with the one i feel comfortable with reviews n pricing so in honesty its down to personal preference out of the two

Created by Prosthetic

From here on out Blank friend requests will not be acknowledged

Change is mediocre

Well, the cheaper one shows it in the case, but you never know

Like Captain, er Dr Mayus above, definately go for the cheaper one

An old-fashioned cowboy

I think #1 is from Germany but I'm not sure, it said something about Germany in the product description.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Now this IS interesting, both controllers are said to be "dispatched and sold from" the same site, which is UK-based.

Now, i've never heard of this place, so chances are, they have connections, and had them imported from all over the place.

Either one is fine to purchase, but there are special offers on ebay by individual suppliers who do PS3 at 15 each, and only actual differences between these and the Officials are the plastic skin, nothing more.

Lvl 4 - Silver

even though it is shown in the box it could be an old or stock photo. But just go cheaper, always has worked for me.
    Avatar by cmgravekeeper | Signature by Wadefan1

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    That is so weird they are the same controller but different prices. I say go for the cheaper one because they are both Sony Dualshock 3 so it should be the same thing.

Also I don't know about the UK (I am guessing that is where you are from) but in Canada at Christmas time we get bundles which are a DS3 and a game for 59.99$ (5 bucks for a game) so if you get those maybe just wait or order from Amazon.ca when they become available.
    Nah, from Latvia. The thing is - it's cheaper to order stuff (almost anything) from UK than it is to buy it here. I have actually bought stuff from Canada, but it was a canadian seller on amazon.co.uk (the only greatest hits edition of a game I own - Bioshock, came str8 from there!) but when trying to purchase stuff directly from US or canadian amazon - the shipping prices are outrageous! Almost as much as the game itself! Otherwise I would have bought a lot of stuff from there.

Possibly the stuff that's being sold by amazon themselves wouldn't have such big postage costs, but they refuse to ship internationally. Only about 1/3 private sellers do that.

BTW E-bay is no better, I wanted to buy a bender figurine, and the only guy who had the one I wanted said something like "I don't mail to russia, china, any part of former USSR and any country that ends with (...)stan"

Soooo, guess I'll go for the cheaper one, thanks gaise!

Quote Originally Posted by HYSTΣR!A⋆➒➑ View Post
    Now this IS interesting, both controllers are said to be "dispatched and sold from" the same site, which is UK-based.

Now, i've never heard of this place, so chances are, they have connections, and had them imported from all over the place.

Either one is fine to purchase, but there are special offers on ebay by individual suppliers who do PS3 at 15 each, and only actual differences between these and the Officials are the plastic skin, nothing more.
    Not entirely true. Some use the bluetooth dongle. Technically I don't care, I can even use the wired ones (ps3 is in the comfort zone, easy to reach) but I had past experience with 3rd party hardware... it was hell.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    Nah, from Latvia. The thing is - it's cheaper to order stuff (almost anything) from UK than it is to buy it here. I have actually bought stuff from Canada, but it was a canadian seller on amazon.co.uk (the only greatest hits edition of a game I own - Bioshock, came str8 from there!) but when trying to purchase stuff directly from US or canadian amazon - the shipping prices are outrageous! Almost as much as the game itself! Otherwise I would have bought a lot of stuff from there.

Possibly the stuff that's being sold by amazon themselves wouldn't have such big postage costs, but they refuse to ship internationally. Only about 1/3 private sellers do that.

BTW E-bay is no better, I wanted to buy a bender figurine, and the only guy who had the one I wanted said something like "I don't mail to russia, china, any part of former USSR and any country that ends with (...)stan"

Soooo, guess I'll go for the cheaper one, thanks gaise!
    That makes sense, but I just have to ask what was up with the guy not shipping to former USSR countries. I find that a little offensive...scratch that I find that quite offensive (I'm Ukrainian)

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I am not a big fan of Amazon but found this

Play.com - Buy Sony PS3 DualShock 3 Wireless Controller - Classic White online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

I order from these all the time. Not sure if they ship to where you live though.

Buy my book, Alteration

There are many deals in multiple stores that for $60, you get a Greatest Hit title (can't specify) and a Dualshock 3 controller, so you might want to look into those.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 7 - Gold

That makes sense, but I just have to ask what was up with the guy not shipping to former USSR countries. I find that a little offensive...scratch that I find that quite offensive (I'm Ukrainian)
    I have no idea! Some people are just ignorant of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallville2106 View Post
    I am not a big fan of Amazon but found this

Play.com - Buy Sony PS3 DualShock 3 Wireless Controller - Classic White online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

I order from these all the time. Not sure if they ship to where you live though.
    Will check it out, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman123 View Post
    There are many deals in multiple stores that for $60, you get a Greatest Hit title (can't specify) and a Dualshock 3 controller, so you might want to look into those.
    Uhm.. could you tell me which stores? I'm no online shopping guru, so far only bought stuff from amazon, and this local record label aghastrec.lv

Crocodile Hunter

I dnt see any difference between them and the price difference is not that huge its only a couple of dollars, well euros

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Id go with the "Official Sony Dualshock 3 Controller"..the other seems like a knock off. The product description and what not seem kinda off to me and don't sit right.
    All credit goes to Athena
    Got last.fm? http://www.last.fm/user/Metal_Queen666
    All credit goes to Auburn

Ghost Assassin

As long as it's official, you should be fine. Did you try looking in local retail stores or is that not an option? Make sure to check the reviews and you should be fine.

I can tell you one thing; there are strange people in this world and it seems like that guy just has issues. I'm Ukrainian too and while I was surprised to see that, I found it funny in the sense of how ridiculous his restrictions are. Don't worry about it, especially on the internet.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    As long as it's official, you should be fine. Did you try looking in local retail stores or is that not an option? Make sure to check the reviews and you should be fine.

I can tell you one thing; there are strange people in this world and it seems like that guy just has issues. I'm Ukrainian too and while I was surprised to see that, I found it funny in the sense of how ridiculous his restrictions are. Don't worry about it, especially on the internet.
    I can buy it at retail stores but it's cheaper to buy it at amazon. There's only one "game shop" that I know of, and their pricer are over the top. Other places would include big electronic stores, they're no better.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Agree with you wholeheartedly. Alot of people dont know amazon offers preorder bonuses sometimes up to $20 off your next purchase. And if you preorder you can choose to receive the game the day it comes out and it will be there in the mail, not 2 days after. And you can keep purchasing from amazon and racking up those bonuses. But yea as far as the controller, I just bought a blue dualshock for $35. Had to wait a few days but it was worth it to save 20 bucks

It smells like Smoke cuz I've been through FIRE

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    Well, the time has come for me to buy a 2nd controller, and as always I turn over to good people at amazon for this. But somehow there's a catch!

Do you know the difference between these 2 controllers?

#1 Dualshock Controller - White (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games
    #2 Official Sony DualShock 3 Controller White PS3: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

And if you do... Which one should I get? The feedback on both is almost identical.

ALSO! This thread can be used as general discussion for PS3 controllers.
    Personally I find them highly appealing. There is just enough buttons for everything, and the placement is perfect! Also I love convex thumb sticks (and their placement). Only thing bad I can think of - on this generation of Dualshocks is the trigger buttons. They could have made them like actual triggers (concave),when I just bought a ps3, it took some time to get used to (my fingers slipped off often). But now I'm used to it and it feels natural.

Now I have tried playing Gears of War 2 with xbox360 controller and it just felt crazy and out of place... I did however use dualshock since ps1, and never owned an xbox, so I guess it's a matter of getting used to. Overall I wouldn't call either "stick placement" superior, they're only as good, as you want them to be.
    beware! there are some controllers out there that are fake although i dont know how reliable amazon is i have bought two of these and theyre horrible their calibration is bad and they hav problems sync with the console

Lvl 4 - Silver

its good to buy second controller in the beginning , so i don't ware about what should i buy,
    but my advise go with cheap one

Visit my trophy checklist
    Forum Version

member since Oct 2009

I want a green DS3 like they had for the PS2. I'm not talking about the Killzone green just a plain green one. I keep telling my wife I'll get the pink one if they never come out with green. I need a new one cause the battery doesn't hold much power anymore and the brand new one from the slim is broken already, wife spilled soda on it.