Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Resident Evil 6 New Leon Gameplay

This is a discussion on Resident Evil 6 New Leon Gameplay within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Lasombra Critique away, or else I'd have nothing to debate people on. LOL I understand where your ...

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Critique away, or else I'd have nothing to debate people on. LOL

I understand where your coming from that RE, to some, is losing it's core identity and its roots. I'd like to think that it evolved. It still feels and resembles RE through it's core story, even though the gameplay has done a 180 shift. But here is a different problem to think about. If it was the same type of game year after year, that happened with 1-CV, would they still be around or would they be lambasted by the hypocritical critiques in the media as a never-changing beast? An example given is Dynasty Warriors. That series is the essence of what some people on this thread want RE to be. By that I mean it stayed with its roots and didn't change the gameplay at all, just minor tweaks here and there, but not the big change we saw from CV to 4. But when was the last time we saw a DW game get higher than a 6 from the critics?
    I actually thought 4 was great and it really freshened up the series. I don't see anything wrong with the changes they've made to the gameplay, it's the lack of horror that sucks. Resi 4 still felt like a horror game and 5 felt like an action game. The setting in this video looked great but I thought the constant talking and the addition of a marker really killed the horror.

I'm probably repeating myself but Lost in Nightmares was so good. It had the new controls but it also had tension and horror. I was scared to walk around corners, I took my time I didn't run and I panicked when the monster was chasing me.

You do need change because doing the same thing does get boring. Veronica, while a good game, is probably the weakest in the series. It's not the gameplay changes that bother me it's the destruction of atmosphere and they've already shown they can have this new style but still have an awesome horror feel to it as well.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic View Post
    I actually thought 4 was great and it really freshened up the series. I don't see anything wrong with the changes they've made to the gameplay, it's the lack of horror that sucks. Resi 4 still felt like a horror game and 5 felt like an action game. The setting in this video looked great but I thought the constant talking and the addition of a marker really killed the horror.

I'm probably repeating myself but Lost in Nightmares was so good. It had the new controls but it also had tension and horror. I was scared to walk around corners, I took my time I didn't run and I panicked when the monster was chasing me.

You do need change because doing the same thing does get boring. Veronica, while a good game, is probably the weakest in the series. It's not the gameplay changes that bother me it's the destruction of atmosphere and they've already shown they can have this new style but still have an awesome horror feel to it as well.
    I agree with you on the last part. RE5 was not scary at all. There was very little jump out of your seat horror, and just more of the new age sci-fi horror. I think the series itself is coming to an end soon though because they've made the scale too big with #6. Now that its gone international, I think it'll feel weird if it tries to go back to an isolated location like 1-4.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'm surprised none of you guys comment on the dual weapon wielding. While the gameplay section shown here did look interesting, the moment he pulled out 2 guns killed it for me. I don't know...it just doesn't feel like something that an agent like Leon would do in a combat situation. It feels out of place.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Two Guns = Doubles the chance of surviving and kill count?

I don't see the problem.

Mr. X

I agree with you on the last part. RE5 was not scary at all. There was very little jump out of your seat horror, and just more of the new age sci-fi horror. I think the series itself is coming to an end soon though because they've made the scale too big with #6. Now that its gone international, I think it'll feel weird if it tries to go back to an isolated location like 1-4.
    Yeah they can't really back track to small locations now. Although I'm sure if it makes the money they want it to that they'll manage to keep churning them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    I'm surprised none of you guys comment on the dual weapon wielding. While the gameplay section shown here did look interesting, the moment he pulled out 2 guns killed it for me. I don't know...it just doesn't feel like something that an agent like Leon would do in a combat situation. It feels out of place.
    I don't think the two guns is too much of a problem. If it was in Resident Evil 2 when Leon was a rookie cop then it would seem a bit silly. Leon is the president's boyguard so it's wquite believable he could dual wield a weapon. It does make things more actiony but I think it's a minor niggle when arguing about the lack of horror in the series. Steve and Claire could dual wield in Code Veronica.

Legend...Nuff Said

I don't think its a negative. Although what I hope to see is each usable character having some skill or action only usable by them. In RE5 there was really no difference in playing Chris or Sheva, know what I mean? Just personal taste once you unlock her. In RE1 and 2 there were differences to spice things up like Jill being able to use a lock pick and Chris being able to take more damage, stuff like that that separated them apart.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 8 - Gold

I don't think its a negative. Although what I hope to see is each usable character having some skill or action only usable by them. In RE5 there was really no difference in playing Chris or Sheva, know what I mean? Just personal taste once you unlock her. In RE1 and 2 there were differences to spice things up like Jill being able to use a lock pick and Chris being able to take more damage, stuff like that that separated them apart.
    I dont know..it just felt weird seeing Leon use 2 guns at the same time. But yeah, maybe there will be a difference between 2 characters. Oh, and I've read that we won't be able to purchase weapons in RE6. Can anyone confirm this?

Mr. X

That would actually be really nice. They weren't major differences but RE1 and 2 made both characters feel different to play as.

I dont know..it just felt weird seeing Leon use 2 guns at the same time. But yeah, maybe there will be a difference between 2 characters. Oh, and I've read that we won't be able to purchase weapons in RE6. Can anyone confirm this?
    I've not heard of that but I think it would be nice if true. It would make it more old school to find weapons rather than just upgrading them in a menu.

Banned

RE: Code Veronica X had dual wielding. No biggy!

Banned

Lvl 6 - Silver

Gotta admit that graphically this game looks fantastic. It also looks like it's trying to bring back the suspense and horror. But having said that, the 'jumpy' bits are nothing short of predictable, and appear too often to have any kind of effect really *kind of like the massive amounts of majini completely desensitizing the horror*, but at least it's an attempt to return to the routes.
    I also don't like the fact that a) you're constantly with someone - having a partner in RE5 lost all aspects of horror and survival, and b) the location marker does nothing but highlight the fact you're not alone, thus defeating the idea of survival horror... But if you can turn the aiming reticule off, hopefully you can turn the damn location marker off. But other than these few niggles, I'm really liking the look of this.
    ...But still gonna wait for the gold edition....
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Gotta admit that graphically this game looks fantastic. It also looks like it's trying to bring back the suspense and horror. But having said that, the 'jumpy' bits are nothing short of predictable, and appear too often to have any kind of effect really *kind of like the massive amounts of majini completely desensitizing the horror*, but at least it's an attempt to return to the routes.
    I also don't like the fact that a) you're constantly with someone - having a partner in RE5 lost all aspects of horror and survival, and b) the location marker does nothing but highlight the fact you're not alone, thus defeating the idea of survival horror... But if you can turn the aiming reticule off, hopefully you can turn the damn location marker off. But other than these few niggles, I'm really liking the look of this.
    ...But still gonna wait for the gold edition....
    I remember reading somewhere that capcom said you can turn of the aiming reticule, but I am unsure about the destination marker, they also said that the shop system has been removed completely.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Yeah I saw it on the comments of the video but didn't check the source tbh, but glad you can turn it off, not that the reticule would be the deal breaker for me. And i'm glad the shop has gone too, i'm all for finding weapons - hopefully melee weapons so i can cave in undead faces with a steel pipe
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Banned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12