Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My PS3 YLOD'd

This is a discussion on My PS3 YLOD'd within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom That's not necessarily true. I switched my Fatty's HDD with one a friend gave me. Damn ...

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post
    That's not necessarily true. I switched my Fatty's HDD with one a friend gave me. Damn thing was corrupted and all that good shit. So I thought I was completely fucked but when I popped my original HDD, my PS3 recognized it and nothing was erased from it. Of course that only works if you pop it back into the original system. Best bet is to do as others have stated and transfer, transfer, transfer.
    Thanks doom I was aware of that but he asked if he can put his old hdd in a new ps3 and I was stating that he can't without it stating to reformat it
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    just tried the Hair Drier solution.... no go

I worked for 3 minutes, just enough time to sign up for PSN plus..... then it dies again...
    Damn. You may want to try the other method that involves taking it apart...though from what I've seen so far can be risky. I just hope you're able to get at least some of your saves. I still have to extract a few myself. Perhaps make a list that way you can be quick with each save and if it stays on for at least 3 mins using the hairdryer, then maybe that's all you need. I guess it depends on how many saves you want to keep. Good luck man.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Do it again but for a bit longer like in the video I posted above. Like I said the SAME thing happened to me, it worked the second time for me just like in the video. If you get it going, put all your saves in the cloud first. Then, if it's still on, try the backup utility since you have your saves in the cloud anyway.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

You've to make sure the PS3 is cooled down before you plug it back in or it won't last after the hair dryer trick.

It also won't work forever, I got about two weeks out of mine before it went again, the hair dryer trick worked a second time but that's when I got + to back up my saves and got myself a slim.

Also, when it's been resurrected then make sure you keep it in a well ventilated place, I also made sure to stand mine up as well to make sure the hot air gets away quick.

A plat a month!

Alright, I did the hair drier trick again, and this time I did it for longer. Good news, I was able to get all my game saves onto the PSN+ cloud.

So has anyone had experience with uploading file saves to the cloud, and then downloading them to a different PS3? Have there been any issues with trophies?

Lvl 7 - Gold

If your device's only means of emergency data backup/protection is a paid subscription service, you're gonna have a bad time.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    If your device's only means of emergency data backup/protection is a paid subscription service, you're gonna have a bad time.
    Please feel free to elaborate in more detail why you think that.

illegal in 9 countries

Alright, I did the hair drier trick again, and this time I did it for longer. Good news, I was able to get all my game saves onto the PSN+ cloud.

So has anyone had experience with uploading file saves to the cloud, and then downloading them to a different PS3? Have there been any issues with trophies?
    Congrats and I have no problems with using PS+ to sync saves between 3 PS3's. No problems with trophies either.

There is no alternative for copy-prohibited saves.

Other saves can be backed up via USB. The rest of your game data can be redownloaded from the PS Store or installed from disc. It's a waste of time to do a full PS3 back up, it's easily corrupted.

PRO Member

Nope. All good here. I think one trophy falsely popped (popped it a few days earlier) but it still had the original time. It was cool to earn it again, lol. Glad you were able to get all your saves man. I might need to try that hair dryer trick then

|
    |by Smashguy |

Lvl 7 - Gold

Elaborating:

Aside from manually backing-up the data, the only up to date backup comes from PSN+ account. A paid subscription.

In short, if you do not have it, you need to manually update your backups. Otherwise, bad time.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

PRO Member

Elaborating:

Aside from manually backing-up the data, the only up to date backup comes from PSN+ account. A paid subscription.

In short, if you do not have it, you need to manually update your backups. Otherwise, bad time.
    Well if you're trying to say that PS+ is not worth it, then I highly disagree. There is no "bad time" with it.

|
    |by Smashguy |

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Another suggestion since your saves are backed up, deactivate the system in "Account Management" both Game & Video. Your only allowed to have 3 (no longer 5) active systems I believe since they switched to SEN. So when you get another PS3 you'll only have that "one" active if you don't have any more. Also, what I did after I backed up my data and deactivated the system was restore the system back to default (no data, psn account or anything, just a fresh system). Then I traded in my FAT for a $150 at the time for a SLIM at Gamestop. They refurbish the system anyway so no worries of some kid getting a YLOD system. PS+ allows ALL saves to be backed up, copy protected or not since it's linked with your account. Once you start up the new system just sign in as usual, download the saves and Voilą....back to normal, even if you add your account to a friend or family members PS3. Only downside is downloading all of your stuff off PSN again if you didn't back up to an external device, but even that's not too bad. Glad to hear that "fix" worked out for you & you got saves backed up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12