Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My PS3 YLOD'd

This is a discussion on My PS3 YLOD'd within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So, playing EDF tonight, my PS3 YLOD. I had an issue backing it up recently, so no current backups. If ...

A plat a month!

My PS3 YLOD'd

So, playing EDF tonight, my PS3 YLOD.

I had an issue backing it up recently, so no current backups. If it take the drive out now, is there a way I can pull off the info of my current PS3, and get the save data onto a new PS3?

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

no whatever you do dont take out the HDD you will never get your data back from that
    if you do it will ask you to reformat the the HDD

there are some methods you can find online on how to fix your YLOD temporarily so can transfer saves onto a flash drive (non copy protected ones at least) check youtube

speaking off experience
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Watch this video on how to access the recovery menu it may help

How to get the Recovery Menu on your PS3 - YouTube

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post

I had an issue backing it up recently, so no current backups. If it take the drive out now, is there a way I can pull off the info of my current PS3, and get the save data onto a new PS3?
    if you dont try to fix it yourself instead of buying another ps3 youll get 3 bitches from these forums one who has naruto as an avatar for his profile insulting you then crying because you insulted them back thus getting you a temporary ban

PRO Member

Damn Wanderer. That sucks but I feel your pain. Mine just did it earlier this week. Like Society said, do not remove you HDD due to the reformatting. There are a few different videos on youtube that I'm going to use myself. I just went out and bought a new one though. Sounds like you were not fortunate enough to be able to back up your saves so best bet is to try and "temp" fix it and get your saves and/or your other content then remember to deactivate it if you can. You can contact Sony like I did, but they say "it's a one time thing...like a favor" Eff you too then. I was able to turn it on long enough to deactivate it thoguh. Best of luck man. Truly sucks but it's been happening a lot more often.

Quote Originally Posted by AJL_LEYJA View Post
    if you dont try to fix it yourself instead of buying another ps3 youll get 3 bitches from these forums one who has naruto as an avatar for his profile insulting you then crying because you insulted them back thus getting you a temporary ban
    Lol. Sounds like you had a nasty run-in with someone. Sorry you got banned because of that...sounds pretty ridiculous that you get banned for someone elses harshness towards you.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Speaking off experience as mentioned above, do the temporary fix as it worked for me. This is the EXACT method I used in the video. I know it sucks having to sit there for about 20 minutes, but it's worth it. I was able to backup my data which took almost 2 hours to complete, but I got my data. Hope this works for you to at least get your data.

Closing this account

Was it Slim or Fat?

illegal in 9 countries

Been there, done that, didn't get my data back.

PS+ is your best YLoD protection, particularly for copy-prohibited saves.
    Never, ever think it won't happen to you.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    no whatever you do dont take out the HDD you will never get your data back from that

if you do it will ask you to reformat the the HDD

there are some methods you can find online on how to fix your YLOD temporarily so can transfer saves onto a flash drive (non copy protected ones at least) check youtube

speaking off experience
    That's not necessarily true. I switched my Fatty's HDD with one a friend gave me. Damn thing was corrupted and all that good shit. So I thought I was completely fucked but when I popped my original HDD, my PS3 recognized it and nothing was erased from it. Of course that only works if you pop it back into the original system. Best bet is to do as others have stated and transfer, transfer, transfer.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Game on....

Sorry to hear about the YLOD. I'm assuming it is a original fatty PS3 and not a slim model? I only ask because you didn't mention it.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post
    That's not necessarily true. I switched my Fatty's HDD with one a friend gave me. Damn thing was corrupted and all that good shit. So I thought I was completely fucked but when I popped my original HDD, my PS3 recognized it and nothing was erased from it. Of course that only works if you pop it back into the original system. Best bet is to do as others have stated and transfer, transfer, transfer.
    Correct. You can pull out a HDD from a PS3 drive then put it back in the SAME system at any time in the future and it'll still work, because the digital signature is the same.

Putting in a drive from a different PS3 will always result in a reformat because the digital signature on the HDD does not match that of the console. It's one of Sony's anti-piracy measures.

In the case of pulling out a drive, replacing it with another, then putting the original back in, the original will still be recognised for the above stated reason.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Do the hairdryer trick, get ps+, upload your saves, get new ps3, download your saves and problem fixed..

A plat a month!

Yes, it is a fat 60GB

I have a sata/IDE to USB cable. I was hoping to pull some of he save files from the old HDD to the new one.

I'll try the hair drier trick first.

Game on....

Yes, it is a fat 60GB

I have a sata/IDE to USB cable. I was hoping to pull some of he save files from the old HDD to the new one.

I'll try the hair drier trick first.
    Are you going to transfer the save files to a USB memory stick or SD card? If you transfer the save files to a new HDD and try to put that new HDD in your PS3, it will require a format of the HDD. So its best to transfer the save files to a USB memory stick / SD card etc. Then transfer the save files to your new PS3 that way.

illegal in 9 countries

No can do. The entire PS3 HDD partition is encrypted and each PS3 creates it's own key based on the unique console ID.

Unless you can fix the YLoD, you're fucked. Some electronics repair shops will do it for you and there are numerous online services (some reputable, some not) if you can't find one locally.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Sorry for your loss. I hope you can recover your data.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    No can do. The entire PS3 HDD partition is encrypted and each PS3 creates it's own key based on the unique console ID.

Unless you can fix the YLoD, you're fucked. Some electronics repair shops will do it for you and there are numerous online services (some reputable, some not) if you can't find one locally.
    If he can somehow access the save files, i suggest he copies the save files via USB memory stick / SD card etc. He won't be able to copy the protected save files but its better than losing all the save data.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    If he can somehow access the save files, i suggest he copies the save files via USB memory stick / SD card etc
    Yeah that's the only reason to repair a YLoD. It's a temporary measure and it will die again.

Some game saves can't be copied to USB / SD. For those games, PS+ is the best option. A data transfer from a dying PS3 is unreliable.

A plat a month!

just tried the Hair Drier solution.... no go

I worked for 3 minutes, just enough time to sign up for PSN plus..... then it dies again...

Change is mediocre

Try it for a longer time. I did the hair dryer trick and it worked about 2 weeks after. Might even work now

I just stuck a USB stick in and copied most of my saves from my old one and transferred them to my new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast