Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lasombra Files: Episode 9: Saturday Night Fever!

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files: Episode 9: Saturday Night Fever! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Welcome back dedicated viewers. We’re hitting the club scene tonight as I track down the most 'sociable' member of the ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files: Episode 9: Saturday Night Fever!

Welcome back dedicated viewers. We’re hitting the club scene tonight as I track down the most 'sociable' member of the site in his element. After getting out of jail I’m ready to get dressed up fancy and hit the dance floor in Episode 9: Saturday Night Fever! Untza Untza Untza It’s electric here in the club, I just hope my dancing shoes work and I can cut a groove like MJ in Smooth Criminal. What do you mean my clothes are out of style? I’m bringing back the one glove style and these diamonds were expensive. Sit back and enjoy the show, viewers, I need to show this upstart how the King of Pop owned the dance floor. WOO!!!

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Name: Justin aka Bounce
    Occupation: Marketing Manager of a very boring company doing very boring work. I am hoping to quit soon. I really would love to be in marketing or community strategy inside the video game or fashion industry, or work for a start-up. I've been thinking about quitting and starting my own company, but I don't have the programming background for what I'd like to do.
    Country Amurrrrrica

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

Bounce: Probably when I was 8ish. My friends had a NES, and we played that a bit. I was terrible at it. I really hated sidescrollers, and still do. I eventually got a Super Nintendo and played that a lot. Then when the N64 and the Playstation came out, I opted for the Playstation, and that’s when shit got real. I immediately became obsessed with games that have a huge story and fiction to them, e.g. Metal Gear Solid.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

Bounce: Before joining PSN, my gaming handle, and my nickname among friends was Bounce. Bounce was taken on PSN, so I got a little creative and threw the “omgits” in front of it.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

Bounce: I am none. When trophies first game out I was all about them, then one day while playing Batman, it dawned on me that I was recently not enjoying games because I was stressing about trophies; making sure I didn’t miss one, or always had the guide in front of me… it got to be too much. Trophies in themselves made me hate Batman Arkham Asylum, so much that I did not finish the game and sold it. Because of the experience, I didn't even give Arkham City a shot, just had bad memories.

I decided that if I really loved a game, I would try to platinum it. But I wouldn’t even look at the trophy list until I beat the game. This is what I usually do now. I graduated college and only game for about 1-4 hours a week. (For some reference, it's been about 2 weeks today since I've last played a video game). Trophies aren’t in the forefront of my mind. I’d rather just play a good game and have a good experience. If I see an enticing trophy, I might go for it. I find that I am really into co-op trophies (think Portal 2 or Trine 2), mainly because I am really into co-op period.

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

Bounce: Less than 1 a week.

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

Bounce: If it’s something fun to do, I’ll give it a go. If it’s annoying and tedious, then forget it. I know everyone hates those trophies that are “hop on one foot while saving the world and changing a diaper…..700 times.” No one likes that. I remember times when I was playing Unreal Tournament 3, and they had crap like "Kill 100 enemies with this stupid gun in 4 matches" or something. I gave that a go, and then said "What? This isn't even fun."

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

Bounce: Like just gotten super tired? Not recently. The last time I played a game so much I was a zombie was Dragon Age: Origins. Played it for 26 hours straight, only stopping to go to the bathroom and make food. It was such a fantastic game. Sadly I never finished it though, and my save file hit the fritz before I could beat the boss. It got corrupted, and when I start the game, all my DLC is gone, some characters are gone, and many are naked. So I said screw it.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

Bounce: Well I only have 4. Assassin’s Creed 2 might be my proudest, mostly because I wasn’t even going for the platinum. I was just playing, and one day I platted it, without paying any real attention to the trophies. Was pretty funny, but that just proves how easy it was. Hardest? I don’t know. Modern Warfare 2? All my platinums are easy ones.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

Bounce: Platting Assassin’s Creed 3 might be fun, but it will probably never happen. I couldn’t plat Brotherhood or Revelations. The reason behind brotherhood was the multiplayer - I hate boosting. And Revelations is much due to one mission towards the end that basically asks you to kill the population of France without taking any damage. After a few tries I said forget it and just went on with the game.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

Bounce: Why not? It’s just another reason to play together. Yeah, boosting is boring as hell, but whatever. If they enjoy it and it’s not hurting anyone else (like cheating/hacking) then go for it.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info? Why or why not?

Bounce: I’m pretty sure they already have something like that, don’t they, even if it is annoying as hell to search and interact with? Over this though, I would like a better trophy experience on the PS3. It’s a pain in the ass to view trophies and compare them and such. They need to make this smoother and easier to interact with.

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

Bounce: Probably Metal Gear Solid. That's a game I would definitely go out of my way to plat.

Lasombra: Since you've stopped caring about being a trophy hunter, can you tell us what it is like being a retired hunter? How does the trophy community look through your eyes now that your priorities shifted dramatically?

Bounce: I remember a big issue with gaming friends on this site was that they only wanted to boost for trophies, and rarely wanted to just play for the sake of playing. Because of this, I don't play online games so much anymore. I have the most fun in online games when I'm playing with friends, but not to boost. Boosting is boring. It takes the fun out of gaming for me. I understand a huge chunk of the community plays these games endlessly purely for the trophies, but that's just not me anymore. I'd rather go in a match with some buddies and just have a good time, running around like crazy, screaming at each other, and laughing. When you get all technical, and you're in an online situation where it's regular to say, "Ok now you stand here, I'll shoot the can in the air, catch it, then hop over here, pray to the east, use a health pack, buy an upgrade, and boom! You'll get the blah blah blah trophy", I just die of boredom.

Lasombra: What kind of changes do you think would make the trophy experience better overall?

Bounce: How you interact with the trophy UI right now sucks on the PS3. If you get a trophy, you have to go to the xmb, go to the trophy section, go to the game, and scroll through to that trophy to see its details. On the 360, you just hit one button and it takes you right there. Loading times on trophy lists and comparing trophies also is just a terrible experience. If I want to compare trophies with a friend, it's seriously minutes of loading time to get everything loaded. It's ridiculous to the point that I never compare trophies anymore. It also would be cool if on the XMB, right next to your friend's names over in the friend section, it had the name of the last trophy they earned, and when they earned it. But hey, dream big.

Hey, you can’t kick me out of the club. I happen to be good friends with Yuzo Koshiro. At least give me back my glove. It’s due back at the prop store by noon. I hope you enjoyed this week’s episode viewers. Next week we are going back to the beginning in Episode 10: Future’s Past Present. Now where did I put that spandex suit? Should I go with vintage yellow or new gen black? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:11 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Kid, not loser

I to would love to be in Marketing for the Video game industry. Nice to hear someone else with the same interest.

Great read Las, Bounce is quite the interesting person. It really is nice to hear from a retired trophy hunter. You don't get that often so great choice there Las.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Nope, nothing

Even though Bounce isn't a trophy hunter (which is what these interviews are for?) it was a good read and I agree with him about boosting

"Future’s Past Present", I don't have a clue

Plats-O'-War!!

Another great interview!!! If you keep this up, you'll be nominated for an emmy!

Galaxy beauty pirate

omgitsBounce! I like the PSN name and I agree with the boosting.

I have no clue who the next one will be.
    Sig by Ramon

A plat a month!

Great interview! Keep em coming!

Beast Incarnate

Another awesome interview, great read.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    Great interview! Keep em coming!
    I agree. I was surprised there was no mention of the of the PS3T.com tweets though as I thought Bounce was the one behind them or of his podcast. I mean if you want to be in marketing you have to do shameless plugs lol.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Resident PHD

\(^o^)/ Bounce \(^o^)/

I think next week will be Timeless

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Retired Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I agree. I was surprised there was no mention of the of the PS3T.com tweets though as I thought Bounce was the one behind them or of his podcast. I mean if you want to be in marketing you have to do shameless plugs lol.
    Oh man! I should have plugged my podcast! 8bitsandpieces.com! 8bitsandpieces.com! 8bitsandpieces.com!
    Hahaha.

The One and Only

I liked this interview. It's nice learning more about Bounce.

Now get back in the club Lasombra

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

Great interview. Didn't really know anything about bounce
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

PRO Member

Nice interview good read and interesting views

PRO Member

Great interview guys! Really awesome to know more about Bounce! Hopefully you get what you wish for in terms of employment!

I also listened to one of your podcasts about a month ago. Really cool man!

I agree with you on the boosting to an extent. If you have really awesome people that you can bs with and learn more about, then it's fantastic. Otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    \(^o^)/ Bounce \(^o^)/

I think next week will be Timeless
    I thought it was a given Next week is Timeless for sure.
    Last edited by daftprophet; 06-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Administrator

Shun the non-believer! Shunnn!

Legendary...Nuff Said

HARDCORE! HARDCORE! HARDCORE! Lol, nice interview of Bounce.

Though that said, I felt like the interview was too trophy oriented. That's not a problem if you're interviewing a dedicated trophy hunter, but Bounce showed that he didn't really give two shits about trophies, so why as like 20 questions about them? Just a little constructive criticism if you choose to listen to it.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    HARDCORE! HARDCORE! HARDCORE! Lol, nice interview of Bounce.

Though that said, I felt like the interview was too trophy oriented. That's not a problem if you're interviewing a dedicated trophy hunter, but Bounce showed that he didn't really give two shits about trophies, so why as like 20 questions about them? Just a little constructive criticism if you choose to listen to it.
    Because the first questions are asked to all interviewees and Bounce chose to answer them all.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Because the first questions are asked to all interviewees and Bounce chose to answer them all.
    I'm just saying that interviews can and should be tailored to suit the interviewee, but I digress.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I'm just saying that interviews can and should be tailored to suit the interviewee, but I digress.
    Each interviewed is tailored with the intro/outro as well as the tailored questions I ask each person. The core questions I ask help keep the theme of the interview and allows people to compare and contrast with others of different gaming backgrounds and nationalities from the other interviews. It just happened that this time Bounce retired.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

In2
    January MOTM

Great read. Keep them coming.

I agree with you in the way that sometimes trophies can greatly alter a game experience, most of the time it's not in a good way.
    When i'm buying an anticipated game, i'm now doing my 1st playthrough without caring about trophies and just enjoying the story and game.

Awesome Sig by Beam/Avatar by Me

In2's Endless Dream
    Check my Showcase to see my old/current work.

Follow and watch my latest work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast