Help! Error code 80029973 - Unable to play Blu Rays or DVDs after upgrading HDD

This is a discussion on Help! Error code 80029973 - Unable to play Blu Rays or DVDs after upgrading HDD within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Background: Recently upgraded my HDD. This caused a whole bundle of problems. I did the backup on my old HDD ...

Retired Staff Member

Help! Error code 80029973 - Unable to play Blu Rays or DVDs after upgrading HDD

Background: Recently upgraded my HDD. This caused a whole bundle of problems. I did the backup on my old HDD and restored the new one. The restore, however, only restored my save files and themes. Several themes got corrupted in the transfer as well, so I had to delete them. No game data, or downloadable games were restored, so I have to manually re download everything. Also, in system settings, before downloading any games, it said had 827/931GB available. I don't think that's normal, but whatever. (There's no way I have 104gb of save files and themes.)

The problem
    : With the new HDD in, I get error code 80029973 when trying to play a dvd or a blu ray. (Games work fine.) Says it can't play the video. This is with a brand new HDD that has just been formatted and all that jazz. I pop the old HDD in, and videos play just find.
    I've looked online and found possible solutions, but much of it I have already done just in the process of upgrading my HDD, (e.g. reformatting the drive). I did fine this however: Hard Drive Upgrade Causes Video Playback Error (80029973) | PlayStation® Community Forums
    Here's his solution

Well, I finally had success. Last night I retried the whole HDD upgrade process and this time everything worked. Here are the 3 things that were different this time:
    1. I was running firmware version 3.66.
    2. I wiped the new HDD using my laptop and using Windows to initialize the MBR.
    3. I had a brand new Blu-ray just released this week that had not been played in my PS3 yet.
    Here are the steps I took:
    1. I upgraded the PS3 firmware to version 3.66.
    2. I wiped the new HDD using my laptop and initialized the MBR using Windows.
    3. I used the PS3 Backup utility to backup my old HDD.
    4. I replaced the old HDD with the new HDD.
    5. I installed the 3.66 firmware on the new HDD on starting up the PS3 again and created a new account.
    6. I put the new Blu-ray into the PS3 and played it.
    7. I restored the backup of the old HDD onto the new one.
    Everything is working properly now, so I am happy again. I wish the whole process hadn't been so tedious.
    You'll note this is very old. He's rocking 3.66 and I believe I have 4.11. The issue here is idk what the hell "initializing MBR using Windows" means, nor how to do it. Tried google, and just got confused.

Does anyone have any advice? This is super frustrating.
    Last edited by Bounce; 06-25-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Harvester of Souls

I truly do not know. Never heard or seen this from any of my friends, so have nothing to help you really.

Guess call Sony and let them know about it and see if they know the fix. . Sorry bro.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

WHO DAT!!!!

wasnt there something in one of that latest firmware updates that said Sony wont let us switch the HDD anymore? For some reason i remember this to be true, correct me if im wrong

Retired Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerrider View Post
    wasnt there something in one of that latest firmware updates that said Sony wont let us switch the HDD anymore? For some reason i remember this to be true, correct me if im wrong
    I would very much like to know if this is true. This is the first I've heard, and if that's the case, then I am 100% most definitely selling my PS3 and buying a 360, or switching to PC gaming.