Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Formatting External Harddrive??

This is a discussion on Formatting External Harddrive?? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; i thought that once you removed it it needed to re format so your data would be lost anyway ?...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i thought that once you removed it it needed to re format so your data would be lost anyway ?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by harry7890 View Post
    i thought that once you removed it it needed to re format so your data would be lost anyway ?
    A HDD formatted by a specific PS3 will always be signed for that PS3. So you can put it back in the same PS3 with no problems, and have multiple HDDs for that PS3.

You just can't put a HDD from one PS3 into another PS3, that's when you'll see the reformat prompt because the signature on the HDD does not match the console's signature.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    A HDD formatted by a specific PS3 will always be signed for that PS3. So you can put it back in the same PS3 with no problems, and have multiple HDDs for that PS3.

You just can't put a HDD from one PS3 into another PS3, that's when you'll see the reformat prompt because the signature on the HDD does not match the console's signature.
    Correct.
    And don't forget you need the newest firmware update from Sony's website on an external USB, it won't let you swap HDD's since it has to be installed on the HDD AS SHOWN HERE

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Man View Post
    Correct.
    And don't forget you need the newest firmware update from Sony's website on an external USB, it won't let you swap HDD's since it has to be installed on the HDD AS SHOWN HERE
    Also correct. You can't go wrong using that video guide.

I don't think I needed to use the USB firmware upgrade for my two 320GB installs, but did need it for the 640GB drive. That may have had to do with firmware versions when the upgrades were performed.

Regardless, that's the right way to do it.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Man View Post
    Correct.
    the video i watched you dodnt have to do all that ... How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - YouTube

illegal in 9 countries

the video i watched you dodnt have to do all that ... How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - YouTube
    It's a bit hit and miss. Some drives aren't recognised by some firmware versions. Having the latest firmware on a USB stick will resolve that problem if it happens.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

so if it doesnt recognise the new HDD is that what i do ? download the firmware ?

illegal in 9 countries

so if it doesnt recognise the new HDD is that what i do ? download the firmware ?
    Yep, just follow the IGN guide.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

That's correct.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

thankyou everyone much appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12