Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Formatting External Harddrive??

This is a discussion on Formatting External Harddrive?? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; right so i have just bought Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM, 5400RPM 8MB Cache allong ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Formatting External Harddrive??

right so i have just bought Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM, 5400RPM 8MB Cache allong with a CnM Core 120Gb 120 gb 2.5 inch External Hard Drive Portable USB ... now i am going to replace the current hard drive with the seagate . Do i have to Format the external hard drive into Fat32 so my saves will go back onto the new drive when i have backed up and restored ?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yes, since the PS3 can only read FAT32. If your on Windows, I believe you can't format drives larger than 32GB into FAT32. Try a program like SwissKnife (freeware) that can format up to 2TB, maybe even more into FAT32 & other file systems. Hope this helps.

PRO Member

Yes you will need to find a program through google or some means that can format it for you. I can't remember the name of the one that I used to format my 500 GB external but when I formatted it it took like 8 hours and then the transfer onto the harddrie took another 8 hours. Definitely an all day project there.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

anyone know what program to use ? like one they have uset that wonk feck up my hard drive ... and how many megabites should i put in as space for the 80GB harddrive?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Yes you will need to find a program through google or some means that can format it for you. I can't remember the name of the one that I used to format my 500 GB external but when I formatted it it took like 8 hours and then the transfer onto the harddrie took another 8 hours. Definitely an all day project there.
    Formatting his 120GB drive shouldn't take longer than 15 mins or thereabouts using EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition.. Given there's no data on it, a quick format will suffice.

Use the full size of the 120GB drive for the partition. The PS3 backup software will create a batch of 4GB files on the external drive. Best to give it more than 80GB to prevent write errors if it runs out of space.

I'd personally just backup the game saves then redownload or reinstall the rest. PS3 system backups are dodgy at best - something as simple as a corrupted theme or avatar can screw up a backup file, and most likely will. You're better off with a clean install than a restore.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Formatting his 120GB drive shouldn't take longer than 15 mins or thereabouts using EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition.. Given there's no data on it, a quick format will suffice.

I'd personally just backup the game saves then redownload or reinstall the rest. PS3 system backups are dodgy at best, you're better off with a clean install than a restore.
    what about my save files ? because all my downloads are on the PS store anyway so i can re download them from there ...its just my saves im bothered about

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by harry7890 View Post
    what about my save files ? because all my downloads are on the PS store anyway so i can re download them from there ...its just my saves im bothered about
    Stick a USB stick in the system and back them up that way. Go to the Game Saves, hit triangle on the ones you want to backup, then copy to USB.

Note that some saves are copy-prohibited by the game developers. The only way to back them up is PS+, unless you do a full PS3 to PS3 transfer, which requires 2 consoles.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Stick a USB stick in the system and back them up that way. Go to the Game Saves, hit triangle on the ones you want to backup, then copy to USB.

Note that some saves are copy-prohibited by the game developers. The only way to back them up is PS+, unless you do a full PS3 to PS3 transfer, which requires 2 consoles.
    i have the plus storage ... should i just back it up that way for my saves then re install everything else ?

illegal in 9 countries

i have the plus storage ... should i just back it up that way for my saves then re install everything else ?
    Yeah that's even easier and exactly what I'd do. There's a batch option for selecting game saves in the latest PS3 firmware, which should save some time and effort.

When you plonk the new HDD in the PS3, just connect to your existing PSN account and download them. Couldn't be simpler.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Like I mentioned before, SwissKnife is free and can format up to 1TB (2TB with paid version). And yes PS+ is the best option since ALL saves can be backed up to the cloud since it's linked to your account.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Man View Post
    Like I mentioned before, SwissKnife is free and can format up to 1TB (2TB with paid version). And yes PS+ is the best option since ALL saves can be backed up to the cloud since it's linked to your account.
    Yeah that's even easier and exactly what I'd do. There's a batch option for selecting game saves in the latest PS3 firmware, which should save some time and effort.

When you plonk the new HDD in the PS3, just connect to your existing PSN account and download them. Couldn't be simpler.
    so i dont need the external hard drive ? just the ps+ storage?

when i upload to cloud do i need the profile data or just the save ?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Pretty much if you just want back up your saves and re-download your games.

illegal in 9 countries

If it's just game saves you want to backup, stick to PS+.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

ok then i will cancel the hard drive ... i suppose if i need a hard drive i can use the one that came out of the ps3 thankyou guys

Lvl 3 - Bronze

ok then i will cancel the hard drive ... i suppose if i need a hard drive i can use the one that came out of the ps3 thankyou guys
    Yea man, buy an enclosure for the old PS3 HDD (like $5 on Amazon) and "boom"....another external HDD.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

yea exactly oh well thats good ... thats saved me some money

actually... will the ps3 just think it is another system like a ps3 so i cant use my save files off it ?

illegal in 9 countries

yea exactly oh well thats good ... thats saved me some money

actually... will the ps3 just think it is another system like a ps3 so i cant use my save files off it ?
    The saves are linked to your PSN account, not the console. I use the same game saves on 3 PS3's by using the same PSN id.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Unfortunately no. You'll have to format it to use it, but that's where SwissKnife comes in to play since it's going to be bigger than 32GB.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

ah right well i have backed up ALL my saves so i should be good to go .. i will let you know how it goes aaha

illegal in 9 countries

ah right well i have backed up ALL my saves so i should be good to go .. i will let you know how it goes aaha
    Keep in mind if anything goes wrong you can bang your old HDD in the PS3 and it'll still work. So don't be too hasty to repurpose it as an external drive until you're happy with the outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast