Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lasombra Files Episode 10: Future's Past Present

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files Episode 10: Future's Past Present within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've just arrived back in my home country of the Great White North after, somehow, not getting arrested again, and ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files Episode 10: Future's Past Present

I've just arrived back in my home country of the Great White North after, somehow, not getting arrested again, and am sitting in the company’s Quebec office. Ladies and Gentleman, tonight is our Tenth Anniversary Special, Episode 10: Future’s Past Present. Looking back at the past ten episodes we’ve gone through a lot of adventures together, from match making and ambulance rides, to an all expenses paid trip to the big house. So tonight we’re going back to our roots and bringing you the original, the French Connection himself, In2. It was hard to track down this elusive hunter after he retired from the public life but with much hardship, and my poor French skills, I located him waiting for me at the airport wondering why I walked by him when he said Bonjour. Thank you Nova Scotia for teaching me I don’t need French. Without any further ado, the man, the myth, the legend, In2! Hit the music!

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Name: Stephane (In2)

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

In2: Around 5-6 years old, my dad bought us (me & my brother) an Atari. The first games I remember playing were Pitfall and Space Invaders. Soon after it we had the NES, how many countless hours I've lost playing games like Super Mario Bros, Excite Bike, Duck Hunt, Donkey Kong. At one point or another I've owned pretty much all consoles ever released before the PS3 but now I'm sticking with Sony. I'm happy with the games and service they give me.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

In2: How I've decided to use In2umniaKillH3r as my ID!!
    I've answered this one a couple of times but I'm sure that very few can remember the reasons. First off, this isn't my first PSN ID; my first one was generic and too much used at the time. So I've decided to choose a unique name and put some of me into it. Let's make something clear, my name means Insomniac Killer, not In2.... umnia, maniac, inhuman etc...
    So how I ended up spelling it so badly you ask? I'm a big movies fan so there's a few references put into my name. The 2 & 3 in my name come for the movie 23 and Kill H3r is from Shoot Her in Secret Window.

Lasombra: What motivated you to become a trophy hunter? What was your initial spark?

In2: I had a XBOX360 before my PS3 but I didn't really care about achievements even though I liked the concept. When Sony announced that they would implement trophies to their system, let's say I was excited to try it out. It didn't take too long that I was hooked.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

In2: Originally I'm a platinum hunter. Most of the time I'm trying to go for the platinum unless I really hate the game. For the last year or so, let's say I'm more of a semi lazy platinum hunter. Right now if I get the platinum in a game, it's a plus and if I don't that's no biggie. It wasn't the case when I began and if I didn't manage to get the platinum, it was a failure and I wasn't happy.

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

In2: Now that I'm unemployed, around 6-8 hours. It all depends of the games that I have to play and my spare time left. If I have a game that I really enjoy, like it was the case recently with Dragon's Dogma, some days I was playing easily 8 hours, maybe more. The other way around, if I only have old games to play or just some grinding trophies left, I can put 1-2 hours into it and get bored. Either way I play 8 hours a day or none at all, it doesn't really matter. I can easily put gaming aside for a few days and enjoy it even more when I return to it.

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

In2: Set yourself some challenges, no matter if they are serious or ridiculous. Let's say you have to kill a certain number of enemies like it's the case in Resistance 2. That challenge could be “How many can I kill within 30 minutes or an hour" or "How much kill can I get with a particular weapon". If you have to do a certain amount of laps, try to set yourself a record time to reach or just try to beat your best lap. That way you stay positive, it goes faster and it didn't feel like you're grinding or doing a chore.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

In2: Yeah, two noticeable ones, when it happened I had to stop playing and get away from games for at least a couples of days/weeks. It's mainly my fault, that's what happens when you put too much pressure on yourself.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

In2: I'd say Homefront. One online trophy was a major pain and required tons of grinding. Combine that with horrible servers and hard to find games to play in and you get a major headache.
    Only 500 persons have earned it in over a year, so that makes it even more special.
    Funny anecdote, at the time I had a subscription to PS+, I was reading on some forum people losing their stats online for no reasons, so one night I had decided to copy my saved game data on cloud. The next day, guess what. I had lost my stats, let's say I got lucky. It's the only time that I was happy to have my subscription to PS+.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

In2: Hmmm, not really, at some point in the past I said that I'd stop trophy hunting once I'd reach 10.000 trophies. But for this year, maybe reaching 9.000 trophies and somewhere around 120-125 platinums.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

In2: Well if that's what they want, I don't see why they shouldn't. It seems to be pretty popular these days. I'm honestly proud of my collection, it's really diversified and I've earned every single trophy myself. I honestly wouldn't be proud to be part of a team and claim something that I have contributed a little part of it. When the trophies appeared, I was very competition driven and one of my goals was to stay in the Top 5 in Canada. Let's say that trying to accomplish this goal have greatly contributed to my 2 burnouts.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info for all to see? Why or why not?

In2: Yeah, I think they should be able to implement this fairly easily. That would be an easy way to see where you rank up overall but also for some particular trophy or platinum. Definitely something I'd like to see with the PS4.

Lasombra: What tips do you have for someone trying to reach the next level and going after a difficult platinum?

In2: Well for a difficult platinum, never give up or doubt your potential, if you know you can do it just push up and eventually you will get it. If you get too frustrated, take a break and go change your mind or pop in a new game. That may not be good advice but if it's the case, don't be afraid to give up and there's no shame to admit that you can't do it.

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

In2: Without a doubt, Indigo Prophecy. I've only played it once a long time ago and after seeing the trailer of Beyond: Two Souls from Quantic Dream, I can only imagine what a PS3 version of it would look like. I recommend anyone that has never tried it to do so.

Lasombra: Having over 100 platinums at the time of this interview, was there one platinum that made you want to break your controller against a wall?

In2: A: In fact I do have broken a controller from before. I blame the Radec fight in Killzone 2 for it. At that time I was so pissed off and angry that I've smashed my controller against the first thing I saw, which was a small table. The R2 was ejected on impact and a bit of the plastic surrounding it. Believe it or not, the controller was still working fine beside the R2 and the R3 that we're a bit stuck. I've learned from that experience that it's not worth breaking a controller, you don't feel better and you just lost 50$. For the same result, just take a deep breath.

Lasombra: With trophies four years into existence do you think someone starting now, from ground zero, can realistically hope to achieve such a feat, or even top 5 in the world?

In2: You mean achieving 100+ platinums, yeah that one can be achieved, with time and dedication. On the other end it would be impossible to even think about reaching Top 5, even for me. Let's say I wanted to try it. There are too many teams and peoples playing 15-20 hours a day to keep their place in the leaderboards.

Lasombra: Everyone on the site knows you are not only a premier hunter but also one of the best sig and platbar makers as well. Where do you find the time to be so good at both?

In2: Well thank you but honestly, in my opinion I don't consider myself in the Top 10 of the best artists that this site has. Each artist has their own style, the opinions on that subject can divert depending at who you ask that question but that's for another debate.
    You just have to sacrifice one of the two, when I was working with the Gurus, I had a part time job at the same time. It was quite the challenge to do both. After work I was working a few hours on those annoying platbars and requests. For the few months that I was with the Gurus, let's say I didn't do much outside of working at my job and working in the shop.

Lasombra: Being from Quebec, and being bilingual in English and French, is French your mother tongue? Are you able to buy games in French in Quebec, or do you prefer to play them in English?

In2: Yeah my mother tongue is French, that's why you are going to have to edit big chunks of my interview. In 2007 the government has adopted a law that says that if a game is released in French in another country, it must be released in here as well and without any delay. Now 90% of the games are translated in French, whether it's just subtitles or both language & subtitles. I personally always play in English. The voice acting is always bad because they take some French actors from France and believe it or not, that's not the same French. Our French is a derivation of theirs. We don't use the same words and it's even hard to understand each other.

Lasombra: Right now there are three premier trophy sites for hunters: this one, .org, and profiles. Being on this site for so long, what do you think needs to improve in the trophy hunting community? What do you think is lacking?

In2: I don't think it lacks anything important. I would love to see something similar to what trueachievements.com does, which is that each achievement has their own guide that users post and people vote on the quality of the solution and can gain/lose notoriety based on your solution. This could be separated completely from the Trophy Guide and be implemented in the trophies section.

Lasombra: A lot of users on the site have impressive resumes, but you are the first I’ve interviewed with over 100 platinums. That is a lot of time, dedication, and love for gaming that can be termed as a professional practicing his craft. How do you think trophy hunting will evolve in the future, particularly with the PS4? Do you think we will see professional trophy hunters?

In2: Becoming professional, I doubt, some hunters are pretty well known but most of the time it's not for their prowess. Also there are some individuals that are selling their ability to platinum a particularly hard game to those who can buy it. I can't say that I’m neither for it nor against, as long as you have the decency to admit that you haven't done it by yourself. So in that way that if you can get money and maybe make a living with it, I guess you can somewhat call you a professional trophy hunter. As for the PS4, I would love to be able to use/import my PSN ID to the PS4 and continue from there, on the other end it would nice to restart everything from zero.

That brings an end to our 10th Anniversary Special. We have some big plans and some big names debuting next season. In the next episode we are going into hell itself...the kitchen...where we are going to learn some cooking lesson’s to help keep us alert and awake during the grind for the next platinum...assuming the food doesn’t kills us first in Episode 11: Stir the Pot. Where is my autographed Gordon Ramsey apron?

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:11 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Plats-O'-War!!

In2 getting an In2view Great job and great In2view!!

Nope, nothing

Great interview for a great guy, nice read Steph

Next week has to be Stupot surely!

Winter Is Coming

Good thinking Chambers,

Another great interview, really interesting read

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Resident PHD

Great interview guys.

I have to say in2 it is your province that causes my company troubles most time. Due to your laws if we want to put up a sign at Wal-Mart we have to make sure the French is larger than the English. Which means we will sometimes only print up one version of the marketing and so Quebec is happy but the other 9 provinces have to have French first and English second (didn't we win the war ).

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

The One and Only

Nice interview In2. It was nice learning even more about you.

Dammit, Chambers guessed the next interviewee before me.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

A plat a month!

Great interview! Glad to see the current interviewer interview the previous interviewer.

No Game No Life

I suddenly remembered the In2views that In2 made before Great in2view dudes

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

Beast Incarnate

Another great interview. Great learning about In2.

Next week sounds like stupot, but I always seem to be wrong.

Galaxy beauty pirate

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    Great interview! Glad to see the current interviewer interview the previous interviewer.
    Yeah, I was also hoping for an in2view with In2.
    Good read!
    Sig by Ramon

That Southern B****

Another great interview Lasombra. Keep'em coming!
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post

That was my thought as well.

Great interview and choice for the 10th one. I remember parts of In2's interview before the site crash as I think he was the last one to be done before they stopped doing them. Great way if keeping the tradition going by honoring the man who started them.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Game on....

Very nice interview. Always an intresting read

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    That was my thought as well.

Great interview and choice for the 10th one. I remember parts of In2's interview before the site crash as I think he was the last one to be done before they stopped doing them. Great way if keeping the tradition going by honoring the man who started them.
    Yeah, last month I had the idea for the 10th anny special, and thankfully In2 accepted my request. I wanted to pay respect for what he did in past, and figured 10 was the best episode to do it while it was relevant. The bigger question is what will we see during episode 25/50/75/100. So many choices.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Til Death Do Us Part

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Fantastic interview guys,great work.It was good to learn a little more about one of the most popular chaps on here

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    Nice interview In2. It was nice learning even more about you.

Dammit, Chambers guessed the next interviewee before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Great interview for a great guy, nice read Steph

Next week has to be Stupot surely!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post

And im with you guys,it has to be Stupot.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

In2
    January MOTM

Thank you all for the nice comments.
    It was a pleasure to do the interview and i'm grateful that Lasombra thought of me for episode 10. A classy and respectful decision.

@Dr_Mayus - Sorry to hear that our somewhat stupid laws can cause you some problems.

Awesome Sig by Beam/Avatar by Me

In2's Endless Dream
    Check my Showcase to see my old/current work.

Follow and watch my latest work.

All out of bubblegum.....

Awesome read Lasombra. Very nice.
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Ze Paradox Ninja Assassin

Awesome interview yet again Lasombra In2 is an awesome guy, a great choice for the 10th interview

95.37% Completion

Currently Playing

Sonic Unleashed
    Payday 2

Recently Finished

Call of Duty: Classic
    Crysis 3

Legend...Nuff Said

A little aside for those who listened to the theme music to go with the interview, I chose his because he is also from Quebec like In2, for those who don't know their wrestling bios.

L
    Til Death Do Us Part

PRO Member

Nice interview buddy. Another one of my homies
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast