Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

EA going completely digital in the near future

This is a discussion on EA going completely digital in the near future within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Do they realise how much hardrive space is actually on a ps3 or Xbox? plus downloading that much isn't available ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Do they realise how much hardrive space is actually on a ps3 or Xbox? plus downloading that much isn't available to everyone.
    theyde be better off just selling actual copies of the game on an online store if they want to cut out the middle man so badly.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kratos06 View Post
    BREAKING NEWS

EA is gonna die as a company in the near future!!

thats a bad move on EA part
    they would of died off if they haven't made this smart idea.

they are just dying as it is, doesn't matter if they chose either.

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Do they realise how much hardrive space is actually on a ps3 or Xbox? plus downloading that much isn't available to everyone.
    theyde be better off just selling actual copies of the game on an online store if they want to cut out the middle man so badly.

1 TB Drives are like $49 in todays world

guess what the next gen is going to have

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

yeah im not going to spend a large portion of my bandwidth on games. ill stick with discs

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

PRO Member

Not a chance in hell i'm paying $60 for a new game I can't even take to a friends house or put in my collection.

Only way i'll be buying digital is if there priced at $45 at release and that's just not going to happen.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    A bunch of common sense stuff
    Bingo, you get economics 101

Lvl 8 - Gold

Simplest way to maximize one's profit margin is to cut out the middle man, especially when it also entails eliminating almost all physical materials cost in the process. Digital distribution from it's onset was always going to the way things were heading, so to pretend like this news is something dire and completely unexpected is just showing how naive and ignorant you are to what was going on around you.
    Digital distribution is nothing new, but it is an issue when it's the only option available to gamers. I'm sure one of the reasons PSP Go didn't do well is because id was made to be a digital distribution only console. This is more than people just wanting physical copies of games. There are A LOT of people out there who simply don't have a high speed broadband internet connection available in their region or if they do their traffic is limited and this simply prevents them from gaming. And cutting out the middle man won't reduce the price of games and once again gamers will suffer.

I understand that they want to maximize profits in these hard economic times, they're a company and that's what companies do. But will they not alienate a lot of costumers by doing this? Not just those who'll simply boycott this but also those who won't be able to game at all?

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I will NOT accept digital goods for console gaming, I must have physical retail copies, IMO there is just more value to them. & on top of that, digital goods on console are also over-priced crap.

..Now PC.. I am fine w/ digital on PC. (Steam is God-Like).

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Digital distribution is nothing new, but it is an issue when it's the only option available to gamers. I'm sure one of the reasons PSP Go didn't do well is because id was made to be a digital distribution only console. This is more than people just wanting physical copies of games. There are A LOT of people out there who simply don't have a high speed broadband internet connection available in their region or if they do their traffic is limited and this simply prevents them from gaming. And cutting out the middle man won't reduce the price of games and once again gamers will suffer.

I understand that they want to maximize profits in these hard economic times, they're a company and that's what companies do. But will they not alienate a lot of costumers by doing this? Not just those who'll simply boycott this but also those who won't be able to game at all?
    EA has been setting up for trying to make do for people with poor internet connections for a bit, with allowing people to pre-download the game before it's release and allowing you to play it when it launches with it already on your hard drive. Sony did the same thing with Sorcery recently as well (guess who's probably going to be next with digital only distribution).

As for those who have a region that either caps their limits, or doesn't offer a substantial connection (which I find this one slightly difficult to rationalize one's discord if the companies are going to allow you time to pre-download the game) it's going to be difficult - I am unsure about most places in the world, but I know that in a lot of areas they are getting to where they need be, slowly but surely. I'm sure there are going to be people affected and who will have to better decide how to allocate their bandwidth or make due if they need to get their fix of a title they must have. I also know that if EA is going to predict a 20% increase of sales at a loss of 10% of it's current consumer base (made up hypothetical numbers) that they are going to side with what makes them more money and cut their losses and the possible hit in public opinion.

You also need to take into account that future is an extremely vague term, which could mean tomorrow or five years from now. It's quite possible that the adjustments to those affected are fixed by the time the conversion takes place, but it could also mean that people will be affected if it happens before changes can be implemented. I'm not a person who has the risk/reward figures in front of me, or am smart enough to compute how they pan out - but I am pretty sure EA has those people in place and are weighing their options. Some countries might still get physical copies, but at a higher cost (which sucks for them) but if it was keeps people making games getting paid, so be it.

It's not like there is an easy answer here, but I think the overwhelming people who are complaining - aren't the ones who will be affected or have considered the how and why of the situation and the inevitability of this being the standard, and not the exception.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

The One and Only

Is EA dumb?

What about those who don't have internet access, or has internet that's slow as hell? I thought the disappointment with the PSP Go and it's digital download only system was a message, hinting that's not the greatest idea to have.

I will miss Need for Speed.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Gotham's Reckoning

Well I hardly ever buy a game from them anyway but still a very shitty move on EA's part and I hope they release it is a shit idea and just drop it. I prefer disc over digital any day of the week.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Lvl 8 - Gold

EA has been setting up for trying to make do for people with poor internet connections for a bit, with allowing people to pre-download the game before it's release and allowing you to play it when it launches with it already on your hard drive.
    Right. I've heard about this but I forgot about it since I never used it myself. That's a pretty neat feature there. Another thing I forgot to mention is that we don't own the account we buy games on. Your account could get closed for whatever reason and you'll lose everything you ever purchase. Since this could, and probably will, take years to fully realize they might come up with a solution to that as well, but for now that's my biggest gripe with this system.

I don't like my gaming depending on a lot of factors but we'll see what the future brings.

Mr. X

the ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer. If the gamer wants to get the game through a digital download and that's the best way for them to get it, that's what we're going to do.

Ah I see they're doing this for the gamer. I was so silly to think I enjoyed getting a boxed product and building my collection. How could I be so stupid to not realise my HDD needs filling with retail games that will most likely be huge in size. Not to mention I'll now be lucky enough to pay premium top dollar for any of their games and just to put the icing on the cake I'll have to sit with my thumb up my ass waiting for the title to download.

Way to go EA. You really do get gamers.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

An old-fashioned cowboy

So this means that EA will eventually stop releasing physical discs of games that have already been released? Cause if that's the cause then looks like I'll have to go out and buy Mass Effect 2 & 3 along with a few other games soon if I ever intend of having physical copies of those games then.

Saints Row IV

wtf EA?
    What if someone has no internet?
    Bad move EA
    Always first at bad moves
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 3 - Bronze

EA dosent really have anything i like anymore

Rangers F.C

In my opinion this is the way its going to go for all developers , there will be no more trading in your old games for a new release and going by the prices on PSN they will all be way over priced , not sure about you guy's but a have not and will not pay 40+ for a digital download , it would be a real shame for this to be the future of gaming , because I don't need to tell you guy's that buying a game these days is hit or miss , most often miss , so if you download a game that is 40+ and pure pish then your stuck with it FFFUUUCCCKKK TTTHHHAAATTT

The One and Only

I just realized something...

What if other companies decided to do the same thing EA's doing and make all of their games digital download only? What if EA starts a trend and makes the gaming world even more frustrating? I'm freakin out about this because I believe it might actually happen.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Kiwi Defender

EA is just getting ahead of their competition. Will I miss buying that FIFA game and having it right next to my game collection? Yes, but I'll also miss buying a game disc in 10+ years, when digital distribution is what everyone else does.

If you are surprised by this move, then you are very stupid, for it was going to happen sooner or later, and seeing how EA is losing a lot of money, it is no surprise they are doing it before everyone else, even more when considering they've got their own digital service (Origin) that has great potential.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    it is no surprise they are doing it before everyone else, even more when considering they've got their own digital service (Origin) that has great potential.
    steam wants to talk to you

NSFW

If someone gets the tombstone, I'll find the shovel.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast