Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

EA going completely digital in the near future

This is a discussion on EA going completely digital in the near future within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 steam wants to talk to you Steam doesn't count, for they aren't distributing Valve-only games, while ...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    steam wants to talk to you
    Steam doesn't count, for they aren't distributing Valve-only games, while EA will only distribute EA-only games through Origin (and let's not forget other devs would rather sell their games on Steam). Also, Steam is PC-only while EA would try to have their games available for console gamers, since they are a very big part of their consumer base.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Game on....

This is a bad move. Who wants to wait to download a full game and pay a inflated price?

1) You need a decent internet connection otherwise it will take hours for the game to download.

2) The game will run completely from the HDD which cannot be a good thing.

3) If your HDD fails you lose all your full retail games and have to download them again which could take hours.

4) High street gaming stores and online gaming retail stores go out of business.

5) EA can stick this idea.

Level 5 Esper

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I just realized something...

What if other companies decided to do the same thing EA's doing and make all of their games digital download only? What if EA starts a trend and makes the gaming world even more frustrating? I'm freakin out about this because I believe it might actually happen.
    I'm sure that only EA is that stupid to pull stuff like this. Maybe I'm optimistic, but the majority of gaming companies aren't completely idiotic. Good thing EA only makes a few of my favorite games
    >>>>> New Trophy Case <<<<<

Multiplayer/Old PSN

Currently Playing
    FFX-2 HD Remake (PS3) || Killzone Mercenary (PSV) || Hearthstone (PC)

My Guides

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
    Generator Rex: Agent of Providence

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Frost425 View Post
    I'm sure that only EA is that stupid to pull stuff like this. Maybe I'm optimistic, but the majority of gaming companies aren't completely idiotic. Good thing EA only makes a few of my favorite games
    Activision?

[/joke]

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Frost425 View Post
    You're actually wrong, you know? EA isn't being stupid, they're moving forward (faster than expected, I might add), and the direction they are taking is the direction every dev will take sooner or later. Digital distribution is the way every kind of media will take sooner or later, be it music (iTunes), movies (Netflix, Hulu), books (Kindle) or games (Steam). Instead of optimistic you're coming off as an ignorant, specially by calling this move "idiotic".

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

My god, the smell of sheep is too much for my nose to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    I will NOT accept digital goods for console gaming, I must have physical retail copies, IMO there is just more value to them. & on top of that, digital goods on console are also over-priced crap.

..Now PC.. I am fine w/ digital on PC. (Steam is God-Like).
    You can't have it both ways. You're being so bias it's unreal. You like Valve (As do I) so you allow them to use digital downloads. You don't like EA, so the prospect of them doing the same thing pisses you off?

The only way this isn't work (And I'm guessing that this is the only experience half of you have of digital downloads) is if it's as shit as the PS Store is for retail games. If it's overpriced it can be the death of EA. If it works out, this can be massive for EA. And EVERYONE would follow suit (The majority of publishers will be looking at this anyway)

INTJ

Hardcore!!!

Besides a VERY few select games, EA is a shitty company.

Burnout Paradise is freaking AWESOME. Dragon Age 2 could have been better but since EA is so fucking power and money hungry, they wanted it now, now, now. Dragon Age Origins along with Mass Effect 1 & 2 are great. I didn't want to get ME3 because of the ending and the bad rep THAT got JUST because of the ending. I don't like when companies make a half-ass attempt to patch up something that was leaked. Should have a backup plan just in case something like this happens. There are other games besides these few that are good yet either I haven't played them or I forgot the name.

All the sports games are just stupid because besides the "updated graphics", adding and removal of certain minigames and modes, and updating the stats, THEY ARE THE SAME FUCKING GAMES!!!! Tiger Woods, Madden, NHL, NCAA, NBA, MLB, so on and so forth.

Signature and Avatar done by apokolypz
    !~General Boosting and Blank General Friend Requests will be deleted. PERIOD.~!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JagDogger View Post
    Dragon Age 2 could have been better but since EA is so fucking power and money hungry, they wanted it now, now, now.
    that and Jennifer hepler, the shitty lead writer.

illegal in 9 countries

Read the article PS360 posted yesterday about the death of the AAA game and you'll understand why EA, among others, is considering an all-digital move.

EA's profit margin on $1 billion dollars revenue was 7%. Ubisoft's profit margin on $1.5 billion revenue was 3%. A normal company operates at around 30% profit and Activision is the only publisher hitting that benchmark, but on shrinking revenue.

The more EA can maximise revenue by cutting out second-hand sales and minimising distribution costs, the longer they'll stay in business and the more AAA games we'll have to play.

Without publisher profitability, we're looking at a dead industry. The focus has already shifted from core to casual so get used to annual, digital, freemium, micro-transaction based gaming.

So before crying "EA sucks. Die EA die!", grow a brain and get a clue. As an industry, game publishing profitability is abysmal, cost is astronomical and risk is monumental. Without annual franchises like EA Sports and Call of Duty, it's royally fucked and we'll be left playing shallow games like Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2 and Angry Birds. They're still good games, but they have little in the way of substance, nor do they push the boundaries of gaming as either technical achievement or art-form.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 07-03-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Legalize it...

Quote Originally Posted by jenkem_addict88 View Post
    gay gay gay gay gay

expect games to never get any cheaper if they are all digital
    Your post made me think of this...

I think its a stupid move for EA. I like to OWN the game not a download, but thats just me...

Lvl 9 - Gold

they would of died off if they haven't made this smart idea.

they are just dying as it is, doesn't matter if they chose either.

1 TB Drives are like $49 in todays world

guess what the next gen is going to have
    Well all the developers seem content with milking the current gen consoles so unless they give us a way to expand the hard drive space that they dont deem breaking their user agreement or whatever, what choice do we have? also games will be larger in the next gen, just like they got larger from last generation (about 5-8x in size) so 1TB wont last anywhere near enough.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Well all the developers seem content with milking the current gen consoles so unless they give us a way to expand the hard drive space that they dont deem breaking their user agreement or whatever, what choice do we have? also games will be larger in the next gen, just like they got larger from last generation (about 5-8x in size) so 1TB wont last anywhere near enough.
    you can expand the ps3 hdd with any drive you want you know

xbox is the one that is bitchy about it because it wants fast speeds and it hates non-branded SSD/HDD's

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Without publisher profitability, we're looking at a dead industry. The focus has already shifted from core to casual so get used to annual, digital, freemium, micro-transaction based gaming.

Publishers will die and the indies/digital distributions will take over because of major cost efficiency in terms of shipping and distribution (AKA absolutely everywhere for almost no cost)

it's how it works.

we are going to be seeing new iD softwares and new Valves popup all of the sudden.

Wolfire games is a good example, the coder on their team is a god.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    If it works out, this can be massive for EA. And EVERYONE would follow suit (The majority of publishers will be looking at this anyway)
    That's my greatest fear about this topic. Having the physical copy is always good to have, in case you want to sell the game. As far as I know, you can't sell digital copies of games, in case you utterly dislike a game.

Whether or not this becomes successful, it doesn't guarantee that you'll like it. :/

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    That's my greatest fear about this topic. Having the physical copy is always good to have, in case you want to sell the game. As far as I know, you can't sell digital copies of games, in case you utterly dislike a game.

Whether or not this becomes successful, it doesn't guarantee that you'll like it. :/
    http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ge...tal-games.html

Lvl 9 - Gold

Wow... reading comprehension fail for an entire thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Gibeau
    Retail is a great channel for us. We have great relationships with our partners there. At the same time, the ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer. If the gamer wants to get the game through a digital download and that's the best way for them to get it, that's what we're going to do.
    The title of the thread is misleading, caused by a misunderstanding of the wording in the article. 100% digital distribution means that every game they release will be available digitally, not solely through digital channels. They're not idiots. They know there are people who refuse to buy digitally, and losing those customers would hurt more than the lower profits from a disc copy. Digital-only may be in the future, but it's not during this generation, at a bare minimum.

Kiwi Defender

Interesting, but my other point still stands: EA has more consumers on the console market than on the PC one (unlike Steam), so they'll have different focuses with their digital distribution services.

Toggle Spoiler

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    Digital-only may be in the future, but it's not during this generation, at a bare minimum.
    Agreed. In 5 years maybe EA will be digital-only, but not yet.

There's already a massive shift to online shopping with major retail chains and shopping centres under threat. Storefronts are a relic, shipping direct from a factory or warehouse is significantly more cost-effective.

It's a natural extension of that where if packaging can be removed, it will be removed. Movies, music, apps and games are the obvious candidates for a move to a completely digital world. That might not happen for a decade or two, but it will happen.

Publishers will die and the indies/digital distributions will take over because of major cost efficiency in terms of shipping and distribution (AKA absolutely everywhere for almost no cost)

it's how it works.
    Thanks again for your insight Captain Obvious. That's exactly why EA is doing it. They can eliminate the middle-men in the distribution chain, control pricing, mitigate piracy and destroy second-hand sales. It's a sensible business strategy.

If the major publishers die, where are game developers going to fund their $50-100 million projects? Where do you think that money comes from?

If publishers die, so does core gaming. Not all of us want to play shitty indie mini and mobile games, nor will the market be satisfied with a recession back to those days. Bigger and better is still the way forward, publishers provide the money to make that happen.

we are going to be seeing new iD softwares and new Valves popup all of the sudden.
    No, we won't see new Valve's, id's and Epic's pop up all of a sudden. They all got in at the ground floor and make a good deal of their money selling their engines and in Valve's case, distributing other people's software. Steam has a lock on PC DD - no-one's going to replace let alone compete with them, EA Origin included.

We'll see Zynga's and Gameloft's and Chillingo's instead flogging mobile and social games and making a killing from it. They'll be the new venture capitalists for core gaming, but it will come at a price with simpler, cheaper, shallower, shittier games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Interesting, but my other point still stands: EA has more consumers on the console market than on the PC one (unlike Steam), so they'll have different focuses with their digital distribution services.
    Agreed. Consoles are still where publishers make their money. With a PC gaming industry piracy rate of 90%, publishers are never going to focus on PC as their primary market until they have full control of the distribution chain. To do that effectively you end up with digital-distribution only and/or crippling server-based DRM like Diablo III's disgraceful implementation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123