Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EA going completely digital in the near future

This is a discussion on EA going completely digital in the near future within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; An increased reliance on digital distribution is inevitable, and if EA has its way it's coming sooner than later. Frank ...

Legendary...Nuff Said

EA going completely digital in the near future

An increased reliance on digital distribution is inevitable, and if EA has its way it's coming sooner than later. Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels, says a 100-percent digital strategy is in the company's near future."It's coming," Gibeau told GamesIndustry International. "We have a clear line of sight on it and we're excited about it. Retail is a great channel for us. We have great relationships with our partners there. At the same time, the ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer. If the gamer wants to get the game through a digital download and that's the best way for them to get it, that's what we're going to do. It has a lot of enhancements for our business. It allows us to keep more that we make. It allows us to do some really interesting things from a service level standpoint; we can be a lot more personalized with what we're doing,"Gibeau says that the digital future is broader than simply making its games available on platforms such as its Origin service. Facebook, mobile, and game streaming are all parts of the puzzle, at least as EA sees it.

Source: EA Labels President Says Company Will Eventually Go 100-Percent Digital - News - www.GameInformer.com

Just another reason to hate EA. What are your thoughts on going full-on digital versus retail?

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

They better release Mirror's Edge 2 on a disc. After that, I think I'll be done with EA.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

The Deathly Rhythm

BREAKING NEWS

EA is gonna die as a company in the near future!!

thats a bad move on EA part
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Lvl 5 - Silver

EA to customers: If u have a crappy internet line, you can go fuck yourself, we don't want your money..

Lvl 10 - Platinum

and their games wont be any cheaper either, classy move ea

That Southern B****

Quote Originally Posted by kratos06 View Post
    BREAKING NEWS

EA is gonna die as a company in the near future!!

thats a bad move on EA part
    I agree. There are places where people don't have the ability to download. Plus there are others, such as myself, who prefer disc to download anyways.
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm not happy about this in the slightest seeing as i'm a gamer that is building a collection of games and who hopes to keep doing so in the future.

Resident Deadhead

gay gay gay gay gay

expect games to never get any cheaper if they are all digital
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Up the Irons!

Quote Originally Posted by TRU-GAM3R View Post
    I'm not happy about this in the slightest seeing as i'm a gamer that is building a collection of games and who hopes to keep doing so in the future.
    Me too.

I'm definitely not happy with this move from EA.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

No Game No Life

Quote Originally Posted by S810666 View Post
    EA to customers: If u have a crappy internet line, you can go fuck yourself, we don't want your money..
    Exactly what I was thinking. There are people who don't have a very fast internet connection.

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

PRO Member

Not only will game prices never drop and our actual game collections soon be a thing of the past...
    But our hard drives will also get fucked over :'(
    Do you realize how much room a complete digital game takes up vs a disc one EA?

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Platinum Procrastinator

Another bad move on EA's part. No big surprise honestly.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

A plat a month!

I'm not happy about this.

I'm guessing if enough of the EA gaming community rants and complains about this, they'll delay the onset of going 100% digital.

PRO Member

They're going to completely lose my business. Sure, I'll miss out on a few good titles, but what I really love is the Battlefield series.. I've bought every one new at release. It's a shame, but I refuse to support this.
    YouTube: Sk3pT1kaL

Up the Irons!

Quote Originally Posted by Rune2303 View Post

Not only will game prices never drop and our actual game collections soon be a thing of the past...
    But our hard drives will also get fucked over :'(
    Do you realize how much room a complete digital game takes up vs a disc one EA?
    I was also thinking about hard drive space and game prices. It will be a long time before the prices on a game go down to a reasonable price unlike the physical copy. I usually wait for a price drop before buying a game (unless I really want it), so this will be thwarting me from buying many EA games.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

The only sane person here

This is just terrible on EA, at least the Dead space games are the only games I buy from them

Buy my book, Alteration

I'm done. My memory can not stand up to play all that. I can't even fit a Mass Effect digitally on my HDD, much less an EA library. Consider me done with EA.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Abracadaver ;[

sorry guys, but EA has truly broken my *****, if JackAttak had posted "EA going completely in dust in the near future"
    I would be happier,as far as I'm concerned they have never taken into consideration their customers..

Toggle Spoiler

Necromancer's holidays

Lvl 8 - Gold

They can say whatever they want but this won't work anytime soon. Not until high speed broadband connections become available AND affordable to everyone.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Sorry boys and gals, but the video game industry as a whole is suffering. Nearly every company is cutting losses left and right, and laying off people from jobs, and shrinking down production team sizes to cut overhead. Did you really think that digital releases weren't going to be the way things were heading? Time to seriously pull your head out of the ground and see what's going on around you.

Simplest way to maximize one's profit margin is to cut out the middle man, especially when it also entails eliminating almost all physical materials cost in the process. Digital distribution from it's onset was always going to the way things were heading, so to pretend like this news is something dire and completely unexpected is just showing how naive and ignorant you are to what was going on around you.

EA were the pioneers of the online pass, another feature that everybody said was stupid and doomed to fail, but sure enough, a lot of other developers followed suite (Sony included) and it has become a standard to raise capital and a practice that has been finding more and more individuals implying as a standard. If you think that going totally digital is going to be be an idea that only goes as far as EA - better open up your eyes and get with reality that when it happens, expect others to jump on board as well.

People want to romanticize gaming as if it some sort of art form and immersive experience that is akin to enjoying a piece of art, or a beautiful piece of music. Time to break it to you guys, that gaming is a business - and nearly everybody involved in it have the business part at the forefront of why they are doing it. You really think that these developers love doing what they are doing so much that they would do it for nothing? That there is some sort of bohemian idealism into the efforts of all parties creating these games, who do it for the passion of their craft and don't worry about the paycheck that comes with it? You need to grow up and stop believing in fairy tales. Seeing the hand full of companies recently shut down their doors, or cease making new project has had to of pushed this issue faster than originally intended - but even the greenest of people involved with the industry are getting the wake-up call that making a profit is the be all and end all of what they are making.

I'm sure there are going to be a plethora of people bashing EA and declaring them the bane of the industry; but if you were in their shoes do you not understand why the move makes so much business sense? I am sure that there will be some tweaking to pricing and balancing to make things work out to find the medium of maximizing sales and profitability - and I am sure that a multi-billion dollar company like EA has it's bean counters working the abacus to find that point. Time will tell what repercussions the trickle down effect will have on the gamer, but I would be shocked if there isn't some form of concession from their end in taking the physical copy away from the consumer. Who knows - perhaps with Origin there might even be a trade in system of sorts implemented somewhere down the line. So hold off on screaming your head off at the travesties being placed upon you before you hear what sort of changes and structure are set in place.

But as usual, I expect most people to not even bother thinking this through and just bitch and complain, because that's what seems to be the modus operandi of this gaming generation.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast