Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

How to avoid the YLOD?

This is a discussion on How to avoid the YLOD? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I know there are a lot of threads where people share their YLOD, but I couldn't find one on how ...

  1. #1
    Synthwave <3
    bnecker717's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In a Goldilocks Zone ...
    Posts
    1,718
    Reputation
    180

    How to avoid the YLOD?

    I know there are a lot of threads where people share their YLOD, but I couldn't find one on how to avoid it.

    One of our PS3's has frozen several times today, but only for Black Ops multiplayer. Whenever my husband got to the loading screen for a MP game it would just freeze. This got me worried and paranoid about the dreaded YLOD. I plan to back up everything I can't fit into online storage onto a USB stick asap.

    My question is how do you avoid a YLOD? I want to prolong our PS3's life as much as possible ... it's still so young, only 1.5 years.






    Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

    My trophy checklist

    Latest :

    The Last of Us

  2. #2
    Nope, nothing
    Chambers35's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,674
    Reputation
    462

    I don't know how to avoid it because I haven't had it...but does that mean I do?

    Anyway I keep my PS3 out in the open so it gets plenty of air and doesn't heat up more than it does by being on. I also vacuum the vents every couple of weeks to clear out any dust that may have gathered, just make sure to turn it off when you do that.

    Other than that I don't know

  3. #3
    Lvl 10 - Platinum
    ferretbusiness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hovering pattern
    Posts
    1,860
    Reputation
    31

    clean out the dust and dont play for more than a few hours at a time, my original lasted for about 5 years before it kicked the bucket last year, didnt act funny or anything beforehand, it just decided to break one day after i finished demons souls platinum, my new slim runs like a dream, a totally silent dream

  4. #4
    Kid, not loser
    Kid_Loser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,495
    Reputation
    81

    Like all said, clean out the dust ever so often.
    Whenever you turn off your PS3, quit to the xmb first and give it a couple minutes till fully turning it off, this is actually important.
    Whenever you unplug or shut off the power completely(back button) take out any disc before hand. This is better for the disc drive.

    Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

  5. #5
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Like all said, clean out the dust ever so often.
    Whenever you turn off your PS3, quit to the xmb first and give it a couple minutes till fully turning it off, this is actually important.
    Whenever you unplug or shut off the power completely(back button) take out any disc before hand. This is better for the disc drive.
    Cleaning the dust off the PS3 is important. I have a LED PS3 cooling stand and it does seem to keep the PS3 cool. I never hear the fan kick in, even after long durations of play.

    I don't wait a few minutes when i quit a game to turn the PS3 off but i understand why you think that would help. The blu-ray drive produces lots of heat and after exiting a game, the temps should lower because the fan is still running. However if you power off the console immediately after exiting a game, the fan won't be able to cool the system. Personally i am not sure about this one?

    Taking the disc out when the PS3 is unplugged is a must.

  6. #6
    Synthwave <3
    bnecker717's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In a Goldilocks Zone ...
    Posts
    1,718
    Reputation
    180

    Thx for all the great tips so far guys! I never thought to vacuum the PS3 or take the disc out when it's off. A cooling fan is a great idea too ... for those of you on our friends list you probably already know how much we are playing games so it'd be good to keep it cool.






    Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

    My trophy checklist

    Latest :

    The Last of Us

  7. #7
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    MrFudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    287
    Reputation
    21

    Listen to all of the above. As I keep mine on a wooden surface, I move the PS3 to a different part of the table every, say, 40 minutes. I find this prevents the wood underneath from overheating and therefore adding to the PS3 heat.

    What K_L said about taking out the disc before turning off at the back is 100% true, as sadly that's how I killed my 60gig (I used to turn off the PS3 like that every single time).


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

    THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

  8. #8
    Lvl 6 - Silver


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hobart, Australia
    Posts
    436
    Reputation
    2

    I have never had it happened to me but i reckon you should always quit to xmb then always take disc out and log out of account and turn of system and as i always do turn of your PS3 at the power point after a days gaming.

    And remember to every 2 weeks to blow/vacum out the dust of the machine

    This works for me so do this and i have a original 60GB PS3 and have had it for 3years

  9. #9
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    The Killer Wolf's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    40
    Reputation
    0

    I never had the YLOD my ps3 will be 2 years old next month ummm all I do is make sure that it does not over heat, I never switch the system off before I take out the disc.
    Actually I've never heard of (vaccuming the ps3) but sounds like a good idea, could somebody plz tell me how to vaccum it? cuz I'm afraid that I'll do something wrong and mess up the whole thing lol

  10. #10
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    If you still have a Fatty PS3, YLoD is often unavoidable and inevitable, no matter the precautions.

    Dust and overuse can exacerbate the situation and shorten the console's life. However, if and when it happens is completely random, regardless of how stringent your preventative measures.

    I'm typically anal-retentive about looking after my gear and only play 1-2 hours a day, yet I still got the YLoD on my launch Fat 60 after 2.5 years.

    My other Fat 80 (the one I flog and don't care about) is 5 years old, I've never cleaned the thing other than occasionally dusting the exterior, I don't have a voodoo power-down ritual, it sits next to a hot PC on the floor with restricted airflow and it's still going strong.

    Dust-free, smoke-free, good airflow and a cool environment is good advice, but seriously, it's a crapshoot and not worth worrying about. Most of the above advice is superstition and will do nothing to prevent YLoD.

    The best protection is a Slim PS3 and PS+, you can't do better than that. The Slim uses a better solder compound (the cause of YLoD is cracked connections between components) and PS+ is the ONLY way to backup ALL save files. Save games are the only thing you really need to restore in case of hardware failure, so create regular backups and you'll be fine.

    A cooling stand is the worst thing you can do, other than put your PS3 in a closed cabinet. It interrupts the designed airflow through the console and can actually reverse the process, leading to greater heat generation. Don't do it, just don't...if a PS3 needed more heat dissipation, it would be part of the hardware design.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 07-06-2012 at 01:50 AM.

  11. #11
    Huge Skip Bayless fan.
    El Jefe's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Set of ESPN: First Take
    Posts
    3,357
    Reputation
    99

    clean the ports, with a vacuum and play in a cool room

    Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser


  12. #12
    Send A Friend Request!
    TheMarine's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    102
    Reputation
    3

    Besides cleaning it, don't overdo it. What I mean is not sending a message while waiting for the multiplayer to load. It's even worst if you type a message in a text chat because then you have a better chance of your PS3 freezing. It happened to my old PS3.


  13. #13
    Galaxy beauty pirate
    Artemis's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,464
    Reputation
    216

    In december my PS3 fatty will be 4 years old and I'm also worried/paranoid like you said for a year now. I even find myself looking to the light from time to time when playing a game, praying that there won't be yellow. It still works fine, but you never know.. All those stories about ylod scared me, so I have always a USB stick in my PS3 (don't have PS+) where I save the most important games (mostly the 80+ hours games).

    I can't say I clean my PS3 a lot though like Chambers mentions in his post. I do often clean my house though (bit of a clean freak sometimes), so there won't be too much dust.
    Sig by Ramon

  14. #14
    Kid, not loser
    Kid_Loser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,495
    Reputation
    81

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Cleaning the dust off the PS3 is important. I have a LED PS3 cooling stand and it does seem to keep the PS3 cool. I never hear the fan kick in, even after long durations of play.

    I don't wait a few minutes when i quit a game to turn the PS3 off but i understand why you think that would help. The blu-ray drive produces lots of heat and after exiting a game, the temps should lower because the fan is still running. However if you power off the console immediately after exiting a game, the fan won't be able to cool the system. Personally i am not sure about this one?

    Taking the disc out when the PS3 is unplugged is a must.
    Yeah, that is actually probably more true, I actually just heard this from my brother, when we were worried his phat would die, he read an article about doing it. It may not matter how long you wait to turn it off, or you need to do it immediately but I think the article talked about having to still quit to the xmb, cause cutting off the power unsuspectingly while the game is still running was bad for it. Don't take my word for it, I still do it however, just in case

    Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

  15. #15
    R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(
    john3007's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Theatre of Dreams
    Posts
    3,015
    Reputation
    237

    Ive got to say,if it is getting YLOD,1.5 years is a very short space of time.Probably the shortest ive heard of actually,unless you guys absolutely hammer it all day every day lol.Like some of the others have said,keep it in as open a space as possible and give it a once over with the hoover.I sometimes take mine to work and get my airblower and give it a good blasting from a little distance as the compressor we have at work is pretty powerful.My previous ps3 lasted about 4 years ish through an average amount of gaming.

    Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

  16. #16
    Chuck Norris Approved.
    Wargazsem's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    969
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If you still have a Fatty PS3, it is random, unavoidable and inevitable, no matter the precautions. Dust and overuse can exacerbate the situation and shorten the console's life. However, if and when it happens is completely random, regardless of how stringent your preventative measures. I'm anal-retentive about looking after my gear and only play 1-2 hours a day, yet I still got the YLoD on my launch Fatty after 2.5 years. My other Fatty is 5 years old, I've never cleaned the thing other than occasionally dusting the exterior, I don't have a voodoo power-down ritual, it sits next to a hot PC on the floor with restricted airflow and it's still going strong. Dust-free, smoke-free, good airflow and a cool environment is good advice, but seriously, it's a crapshoot and not worth worrying about. Most of the above advice is superstition and will do nothing to prevent YLoD. The best protection is a Slim PS3 and PS+, you can't do better than that. The Slim uses a better solder compound (the cause of YLoD is cracked connections between components) and PS+ is the ONLY way to backup ALL save files. Save games are the only thing you really need to restore in case of hardware failure, so create regular backups and you'll be fine. A cooling stand is the worst thing you can do, other than put your PS3 in a closed cabinet. It interrupts the designed airflow through the console and can actually reverse the process, leading to greater heat generation. Don't do it, just don't...if a PS3 needed more heat dissipation, it would be part of the hardware design.
    I agree, the ideas may work who knows. My original 60 gb fatty lasted over 5 years. I used to smoke non stop in the game room never cleaned it and have never taken a disc out before turning it off. Could be luck, main thing is the overheating aspect that is the issue to focus on.


    Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay






  17. #17
    Check Those Corners
    CallmeNasty's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,541
    Reputation
    45

    put 4 bottle caps under it and even it out. lets the air go under it and prevent over heating


  18. #18
    ☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆
    Kupo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Eorzea
    Posts
    211
    Reputation
    10

    If you have had a PS3 slim (idk about the phat version) for a long time and the warranty is gone do one better than just use a vacuum to clean it out, just take the top part of the case off (really easy to do, just need a torx screwdriver or a really small flat head screwdriver to remove the security screws right underneath where the power/eject switch is) and just clean the fan directly.

    I did the whole vacuum thing and when I took off the top of the case after a year of use I had a layer of dust building up on the blades of the fan and I made sure there was enough space around the PS3 for good airflow, so vacuuming the vents only really cleaned out the PSU thoroughly since that was clean when I looked it over, so it didn't really touch up on the fan itself which probably is a good indicator for slim's that dust will get stuck in it that a vacuum wont be able to get to.

    Guess that's something for slim owners to ponder on if they have had it for a good while.

    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    put 4 bottle caps under it and even it out. lets the air go under it and prevent over heating
    Pretty much this as well, or you could use books or whatever else to lift it up from the corners. This is also actually better than getting a cooling pad since the airflow can freely move all around the console with nothing blocking it underneath so it won't generate extra heat from the surface it's on. Kinda mundane for a slim since it's revised hardware and it has a better cooling system, but again something else to add to things you can do to help.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

  19. #19
    Synthwave <3
    bnecker717's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In a Goldilocks Zone ...
    Posts
    1,718
    Reputation
    180

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If you still have a Fatty PS3, YLoD is often unavoidable and inevitable, no matter the precautions.

    Dust and overuse can exacerbate the situation and shorten the console's life. However, if and when it happens is completely random, regardless of how stringent your preventative measures.

    I'm typically anal-retentive about looking after my gear and only play 1-2 hours a day, yet I still got the YLoD on my launch Fat 60 after 2.5 years.

    My other Fat 80 (the one I flog and don't care about) is 5 years old, I've never cleaned the thing other than occasionally dusting the exterior, I don't have a voodoo power-down ritual, it sits next to a hot PC on the floor with restricted airflow and it's still going strong.

    Dust-free, smoke-free, good airflow and a cool environment is good advice, but seriously, it's a crapshoot and not worth worrying about. Most of the above advice is superstition and will do nothing to prevent YLoD.

    The best protection is a Slim PS3 and PS+, you can't do better than that. The Slim uses a better solder compound (the cause of YLoD is cracked connections between components) and PS+ is the ONLY way to backup ALL save files. Save games are the only thing you really need to restore in case of hardware failure, so create regular backups and you'll be fine.

    A cooling stand is the worst thing you can do, other than put your PS3 in a closed cabinet. It interrupts the designed airflow through the console and can actually reverse the process, leading to greater heat generation. Don't do it, just don't...if a PS3 needed more heat dissipation, it would be part of the hardware design.
    Okay thanks for the tips. Maybe we'll be okay as it sounds like the Fatty is more prone to the YLOD than the Slim. Both of our PS3's are Slim's so hopefully our PS3 is okay and just not getting along with Black Ops or a new update. I didn't know that a cooling stand is worse for your PS3 so I'll avoid that. We do sit our PS3's upright and there is plenty of airflow behind them so that should help.

    Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    Ive got to say,if it is getting YLOD,1.5 years is a very short space of time.Probably the shortest ive heard of actually,unless you guys absolutely hammer it all day every day lol.Like some of the others have said,keep it in as open a space as possible and give it a once over with the hoover.I sometimes take mine to work and get my airblower and give it a good blasting from a little distance as the compressor we have at work is pretty powerful.My previous ps3 lasted about 4 years ish through an average amount of gaming.
    Yeah, I'm hoping that it's a false alarm but with hearing lots of YLOD stories later I started getting paranoid. We do use them a lot, one more than the other. We keep them on all day everyday as they're pretty much our entertainment system. We work from home and don't watch much tv so our gaming might add up to 8 or more hours each day. Plus, we listen to music and watch some things on Hulu and Vudu on our PS3's too. I'm definitely gonna give them a good vacuum though now every few weeks to give them some love. Thanks for the tips and that is a clever idea using an airblower!

    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    put 4 bottle caps under it and even it out. lets the air go under it and prevent over heating
    That's a good idea. I'm not sure if we would need to do that since they sit upright though and get a lot of airflow from the back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
    If you have had a PS3 slim (idk about the phat version) for a long time and the warranty is gone do one better than just use a vacuum to clean it out, just take the top part of the case off (really easy to do, just need a torx screwdriver or a really small flat head screwdriver to remove the security screws right underneath where the power/eject switch is) and just clean the fan directly.

    I did the whole vacuum thing and when I took off the top of the case after a year of use I had a layer of dust building up on the blades of the fan and I made sure there was enough space around the PS3 for good airflow, so vacuuming the vents only really cleaned out the PSU thoroughly since that was clean when I looked it over, so it didn't really touch up on the fan itself which probably is a good indicator for slim's that dust will get stuck in it that a vacuum wont be able to get to.

    Guess that's something for slim owners to ponder on if they have had it for a good while.

    Pretty much this as well, or you could use books or whatever else to lift it up from the corners. This is also actually better than getting a cooling pad since the airflow can freely move all around the console with nothing blocking it underneath so it won't generate extra heat from the surface it's on. Kinda mundane for a slim since it's revised hardware and it has a better cooling system, but again something else to add to things you can do to help.
    That's a good idea opening it up to clean. I'm a little nervous about doing that, but it will be interesting to see how much dust is inside.






    Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

    My trophy checklist

    Latest :

    The Last of Us

  20. #20
    Death is Awaiting....
    Schism's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Mary's Hospital
    Posts
    1,880
    Reputation
    119

    All I do is vacuum the vents out almost every month. Then do the hard drive thing from the boot menu every once in a while, but other than that, that's all I do
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Sig by Achantion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO