Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

According to the co-founder of Codemasters, next gen will fail unless it's digital-only

This is a discussion on According to the co-founder of Codemasters, next gen will fail unless it's digital-only within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Next-gen will fail if not digital-only, says Codemasters cofounder - GameSpot.com Codemasters cofounder David Darling believes consoles must embrace a ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

According to the co-founder of Codemasters, next gen will fail unless it's digital-only

Next-gen will fail if not digital-only, says Codemasters cofounder - GameSpot.com

Codemasters cofounder David Darling believes consoles must embrace a digital-only future or face extinction. Now heading up British mobile gaming firm Kwalee, Darling posted a blog entry to the company's site, offering a prediction of where the industry will stand in the future.

"Sony and Microsoft cannot let the retailers dictate game prices going forwards if they want to break free from the current over-priced model," he said. "Their next consoles, PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720, need to be digital only, or they will fail."

Darling sung the praises of digital distribution, saying this delivery model gives publishers access to a "worldwide marketplace," while removing what can be an "expensive chain of production and distribution" that is required for boxed games.
    "If hardware manufacturers such as Sony and Microsoft do not manage this transition soon, they will be overtaken and left behind by companies who are embracing digital distribution wholly and completely," he said. "Companies like Apple and Google are not tied to brick and mortar retailers with shackles and are not being held back by them."

Later in his blog post, Darling compared consoles to dinosaurs, saying these systems are "heading for extinction as their natural habitat begins to change." He called consoles "ancient beasts" and praised the work of Facebook, Steam, and Apple's App store as places where innovative properties can thrive.
    "There is an immense amount of innovation on the App Store compared to recent console games," he said. "Big sellers on console like FIFA and Call of Duty change very little each year, whereas many apps are exploring entirely new realms of gameplay."

Lastly, Darling said another advantage that comes with digital distribution is that games become a service rather than a product. He explained that after a digitally distributed game has launched, the developer has immediate access to player feedback, which can be used to make "improvements."
    "On the current consoles this process is slowed by the need for hardware manufacturers to approve each game and they also charge developers a fee for each update they create," he said.

I'm tired of hearing this from these "experts" and I can't be bothered posting what I posted many times before, regarding this topic. Comment away....

EDIT: I apologize for posting this in the wrong section. I'd appreciate it if mods could move it.
    Last edited by Silent Assassin; 07-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Digital on consoles, never. (I must have my physical retail copies, they have more value IMO).
    Digital on PC's. Acceptable. (Steams) working great / making me feel welcomed so far, digital on consoles don't know what the fuck they are doing, I go on PSN store & seriously see crap like MW2 for $39.99. I also don't want my games stuck in some box. (the console). ON disc, I can take them to a friends house etc.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Nope, nothing

Who gives a crap what they say? I like having a disc and I always will, if it's all digital only I really wont like it

I mean, what if your HDD busted? You have to download EVERYTHING again

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

There seems to be a little bit more talk of this digital buisness these days and i like others prefer the disc any day of the week and like Chaotic says,some of the stuff is astronimically priced and then you look on websites and stuff for the disc itself and you think "WTF!!".

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

PRO Member

I hope that it never goes digital only. I enjoy having the sense of ownership that a disc gives you. Also the box arts can be pretty awesome sometimes. If it goes all digital than what happens to special editions of games. I guess we can all say goodbye to all of the cool videogame memorabilia that you can get from spending a little extra cash.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 5 - Silver

Some of the games this gen have been like 20 gb...How's next gen gonna be?
    Are we going to download 40-50gigs every time a new game comes out?
    Or are they forcing streaming like onlive on us?

Game on....

If purchasing games on consoles become solely digital, i will give up gaming completely.

Lvl 4 - Silver

These guys are idiots if they make it digital only then i will quit gaming especially because some contries actually have bandwidth and is damn expensive to download so big files also i don't like digital titles i have always liked real cases also i like browsing the store for titles to buy, Now EA,Codemasters are going to my hate list if they try this and we all know what happens if EA does this it will spread like a virus just like the online passes. also if Crytek is serious about Free to play then we are going to have to start shitting money

Commander McBadass

I'm sure one day console will be digital only, but in like 15 years maybe, when internet costs will be much cheaper and much faster. But come on, i'm sure those who makes these crappy predictions are the same who predicted that the Kinect/Move/Wii would be a revolution that would change the world of gaming

My gaming rig : i5 3570k 4 x 4.8ghz
    Asus Maximus V gene z77
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC + Asus GTX 670 DCU II OC
    Corsair Force GS 360gb ssd
    Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4gb 1600mhz RAM

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Everyone's points about these guys being idiots are completely true , but if they want to go along with their attempt in a money grabbing scheme , they can try , but ultimately they will fail and revert back to the current state of things with the option for both digital & physical releases.
    Moving towards "Digital Only" is how much digital will be of an impact to gaming - It will increase to the point that it is more importantly than the physical release and more upto-date than it is at the current state but at the end of the day there are so many issues against digital only that it wouldn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel_King View Post
    I'm sure one day console will be digital only, but in like 15 years maybe, when internet costs will be much cheaper and much faster. But come on, i'm sure those who makes these crappy predictions are the same who predicted that the Kinect/Move/Wii would be a revolution that would change the world of gaming
    Maybe this could be true? But then think about how many gamers will be outdated - At the current state it is said that locations have high-speed internet connection (for example, In england it is said the connection from Virgin is 5 or so times faster than the national average but in my location it is incrediably slow, and my connection compared to locations around the world is incredably good) but thats in the occasional place. Until abslutely everywhere has connection capable of a good level, "Digital only" will be a dream for video game developers

illegal in 9 countries

While I agree that retail launch prices are too expensive in Australia, they tend to be even higher on the PS Store. If that's industry pressure to walk into a store to pick it up, digital has already failed.

That pressure however works both ways. In a digital-only world, price competitiveness is slower to react to market forces. Retail prices tend to drop faster and by larger amounts than digital counterparts due to competition. If there's no competition on XBL and PSN, prices will remain higher longer.

That said, better control over pricing has worked for Steam, App Store and Google Play where pricing competition is between titles rather than distributors or publishers. So I have no problem with digital-only PC, Mac and iOS and would happily buy a Steam Box PC console with no disc drive.

I'm not ready to embrace digital-only for MS, Sony & Nintendo consoles, primarily because I want backwards-compatibility for my existing disc library. But as a business model, I'd say it's inevitable unless retail pressure forces prices down rather than up and the major players refuse to stock hardware. I'll buy my consoles online as I do most other goods, but for many there's a fear factor at play when purchasing electrical goods online in regards to warranty and quality control. You never quite know what you're getting unless you can physically see and touch it first.

Regional Manager of War

Didn't Codemasters themselves bust.....If than I will pass on there "expert" advice

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Awesome91 View Post
    Didn't Codemasters themselves bust.....If than I will pass on there "expert" advice
    No they shifted focus back to their core competency - making car games. Everything else they did was a bust.

As far as "expert" advice, consider his view as the flip side of the coin to what gamers want. All publishers are looking at digital channels as a primary means of distribution because it's more profitable. If they don't earn profits, and most don't, then we don't get games to play.

Digital, freemium, smaller, cheaper games are the future and it can't be ignored. Look at all of the free-to-play crap cluttering Steam, iOS and Android - it's mostly competitive multiplayer on a handful of maps, shallow MMO or light RPG elements (character customisation...Kaching!), and no or limited single player.

It's the same shit Counter-Strike and Team Fortress (both originally mods) have been peddling for over a decade because it's cheaper and faster to make without single player campaigns, scripted events and smart AI. Expect that from Dust 514, Hawken, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Crysis etc in the future where we won't have deep single player, get a few maps out of the box and pay through the arse for weapons and map packs.

That's fucked compared to gems like The Last of Us, Dishonored, Beyond: Two Souls and a dozen other games featured at E3. Gaming as art is under threat simply because casual and digital is more profitable. You do see artistic innovation on mobile devices thanks to touch controls, but it's still a very shallow experience, the controls don't translate to console and it's not worth more than the $1-3 asking price.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 07-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Harvester of Souls

I'll only be gaming as long as I still have my Disc copy of games. Don't like that chance of system dying or losing account to lose all I had.. Least with discs, I get a cool collection and can buy the digital copy or own it for whatever I want too. I don't see what's wrong with the mixed economy here. Use it for the ones that want it.. but keep other ways for the ones that like way things are.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Gaming since 1985!

I really hope this will never happen. I love having my games "on display", if only for my entertainment alone. Really though, to have a real large collection, let's say 50 games or so, around 6-7GB each, shit, the memory space on consoles will have to be HUGE. I like that I can pick up a game and bring it to a buddy's house, or lend it to someone, or return it in 30 minutes if it's shit. While some games are nice to have as DL's, not all should be this way. Viva la discs!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by S810666 View Post
    Some of the games this gen have been like 20 gb...How's next gen gonna be?
    Are we going to download 40-50gigs every time a new game comes out?
    Or are they forcing streaming like onlive on us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    If purchasing games on consoles become solely digital, i will give up gaming completely.
    THESE it would be total bs.....

Chuck Norris Approved.

Funny how the expert says digital to lower prices. I guess he has never been on the psn and seen the diigital prices for new games are the same as retail box prices in the states. Only way I could even get behind the digital idea is if the price is a major change.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Hero of Kvatch

Developers only want digital-only as they can fix the price stupidly high, like it is now on PSN. All we are seen as are cash cows.

"War, war never changes."

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_TKO View Post
    Developers only want digital-only as they can fix the price stupidly high, like it is now on PSN. All we are seen as are cash cows.
    That is true but people aren't stupid. Nobody will pay over inflated prices even if digital is the only way to purchase games in the future.

F**K AUTHORITY

How is xbox and playstation going digital only gonna fix the problem of overpriced games?All publishers are overpricing games and going digital download only isn't going to fix the problem its just going to create more problems.
    Arguing online is like masturbating at McDonalds sure it's fun but do you really wanna be known as that guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast