No Way!!!

This is a discussion on No Way!!! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Square Enix announces that Final Fantasy XI was the most profitable game in the series. (I thought it was a ...

Ice Cream Firefighter

No Way!!!

Square Enix announces that Final Fantasy XI was the most profitable game in the series. (I thought it was a their mistake in the series)

I cant believe this to me VII by far would have been their biggest money maker & if they done a HD remake it would just line their pockets with more gold

to me my favourites are
    1. VII
    2. VIII
    3. XII
    4. XIII-2
    5. IX

Post your own top 5 Final Fantasies & your thoughts on this absurd statement

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Tbh I didn't like VII that much, way too overrated IMO, still a great game tho.

1) Final Fantasy VIII
    2) Final Fantasy XII
    3) Final Fantasy X
    4) Final Fantasy XIII
    5) Final Fantasy IX
    Surgeon Of Death

Noob Member

Yey! Favorite Final Fantasy thread!

here's mine:
    1. IX
    2. VII - Crisis Core
    3. X
    4. XIII
    5. (probably XIII-2 after I play. My copy is still factory sealed :/ )

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post

Square Enix announces that Final Fantasy XI was the most profitable game in the series. (I thought it was a their mistake in the series)

I cant believe this to me VII by far would have been their biggest money maker & if they done a HD remake it would just line their pockets with more gold

to me my favourites are
    1. VII
    2. VIII
    3. XII
    4. XIII-2
    5. IX

Its not an absurd statement and is actually true. Many people never liked the idea of a MMO FF game. However, that doesn't mean it never made money for them. If it wasn't a success then they wouldn't have tried to make FF14 and continue to support it even after its already shown to be a big failure.

Just look at World of Warcraft. Even with the loss of millions of players since its peak, its still a cash cow and Blizzard are still making new stuff for it. When people buy a game like FFVII for example, they spend money on it and that's it. Square Enix doesn't see another penny from them and even then they don't get a real large cut from the $60 or so people paid for it originally. Now take a MMO game like FF11. People pay monthly fee's to continue playing it, not to mention often times on MMO games they introduce special or premium items that people can buy. A big percentage of the players buy these items and it costs little or nothing for Square Enix to make or add new items to the game because they're all digital items and they can add or remove as many as they want. Hence why FF11 was their biggest financial success to date.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Sounds like somebody never even played Final Fantasy XI, and is making a prejudice statement about it's value to the series, and going off on a fan boy flame because he somehow doesn't seem to realize that "profitable" doesn't equate to "most loved", but alas - rational thinking is in such short supply these days.

I played Final Fantasy XI for about seven years, until one day I just decided that the 5-10 (sometimes more) hours a day I was devoting to that game were killing my ability to do anything else, so I just decided to give everything away and delete my ability to ever play again and quit cold turkey. That doesn't mean that the game isn't engaging, fun, and gives you some of the most epic highs you can feel in gaming when you kill some huge monster with a full alliance of people working off like a well-oiled machine, or when your hard work and efforts equate into you getting yourself that piece of gear you've drooled over for years - there are just long periods of waiting, camping, disappointment, and mild frustration that can some times escalate into full on rage mode.

Final Fantasy XI still has a fairly strong user base, and is having a new expansion come out next year - and thanks to the game I have made friends for life and met some of the coolest people I would have never met otherwise, and got to exchange stories, passions, and learned quite a lot of things about the world that I would have never discovered if I had not played the game - so there is a lot of good that came out of my 7-year tenure. If people love the game, and still have a passion to pay and play the game about a decade after it's initial release what does it matter to you if you didn't like it or think it's "crap"?

We don't need another listing from people of what their favorite Final Fantasy title is every time the media mentions the game (which is at the minimum once a week). I can almost predict who is going to write what by this point because it's one of the most over-asked questions out there. What exactly people's favorite titles in the series contributes to a discussion about the most profitable title in the series is just a redundant way to bring back the question that has probably been asked on more video game forums than any other, yet again.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post

to me my favourites are
    1. VII
    2. VIII
    3. XII
    4. XIII-2
    5. IX

Link please?

Also, remember Japanese sales change everything. It might have sold poorly in NA, but probably sold like hot cakes in Japan, which changes everything.

For example, did you know in 2009 the top 3 games by sales were 1) FF13, 2) Yakuza 3, and 3) Resident Evil 5? Yep, mega seller was only 3rd place behind Yakuza, a game which doesn't get as much attention in NA as RE ever gets. Also, FF13 was the best selling game in the history of the console in Japan, back in 2009. I don't know if it changed, I never looked it up.

The point I'm trying to make with that is we need to stop and think for a moment "How did it do in Japan?" because they are as big a market as NA, and hold just as much weight.

So for all the FFVII fanboys/girls, maybe Square is not hot on the idea of a remake because it was not as popular in Japan as it was in NA. Square is a Japanese company and will always make games for Japan first, as it should be.

I asked for links so here are mine below

The top 10 best-selling games of 2009 thus far in Japan | Nintendo Everything (2009 Japan sales)

Final Fantasy XIII: One Million Served - PlayStation 3 News at IGN (FF13 sales)

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Link please?

Also, remember Japanese sales change everything. It might have sold poorly in NA, but probably sold like hot cakes in Japan, which changes everything.

For example, did you know in 2009 the top 3 games by sales were 1) FF13, 2) Yakuza 3, and 3) Resident Evil 5? Yep, mega seller was only 3rd place behind Yakuza, a game which doesn't get as much attention in NA as RE ever gets. Also, FF13 was the best selling game in the history of the console in Japan, back in 2009. I don't know if it changed, I never looked it up.

The point I'm trying to make with that is we need to stop and think for a moment "How did it do in Japan?" because they are as big a market as NA, and hold just as much weight.

So for all the FFVII fanboys/girls, maybe Square is not hot on the idea of a remake because it was not as popular in Japan as it was in NA. Square is a Japanese company and will always make games for Japan first, as it should be.

I asked for links so here are mine below

The top 10 best-selling games of 2009 thus far in Japan | Nintendo Everything (2009 Japan sales)

Final Fantasy XIII: One Million Served - PlayStation 3 News at IGN (FF13 sales)
    Final Fantasy XI has a monthly subscription fee, just me alone between those fees with my mules and the expansions dropped about $1,000 USD on it. Now there are still about 200,000 people playing today, multiply that from $13-27 per a person per a month, and you'll see why no other title in Square Enix's arsenal has driven home more money.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Stay golden, Ponyboy

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Final Fantasy XI has a monthly subscription fee, just me alone between those fees with my mules and the expansions dropped about $1,000 USD on it. Now there are still about 200,000 people playing today, multiply that from $13-27 per a person per a month, and you'll see why no other title in Square Enix's arsenal has driven home more money.
    This right here is the answer to the entire thread.

I've never played a FF game (go ahead flame me) but I was talking to a irl friend about it and he loves XI. He pretty told me everything Rubicant said in his first post. MMO's generate money through monthly fees, DLC-like items, and expansions. So it doesn't have to be the top selling FF..
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you that FFXI has made a crap ton of money for Square. I was just expanding on everything because I felt the OP didn't know anything about the Japanese market.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

seeing as how its an subscription-based mmo im not surprised.

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 7 - Gold

You only paid for FF7 once. You paid monthly to use FF11 AFTER paying to own it. It makes a lot of sense that it grossed more money. If it were based simply on copies of the game sold, VII might have the edge.

Top Final Fantasies in my opinion :
    1. VII
    2. VIII
    3. VI
    4. X
    5. IX

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Seriously though:

1.VII
    2.VI
    3.VIII
    4.IV
    5.Dissidia/012

Although VII is my favorite, i would prefer a remake of VI first.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid."

"The road to success is always under construction."

List of PLAYSTATION 3 Games without Trophy Support.

Avatar, Signature and Profile header by In2

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Must be a mistake from SE although XI wasnt there best.

For me though:

1. VIII
    2. X
    3. VII
    4. VI (remake perhaps would be great)
    5. IX

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hi. I agree with Great Gaze. I couldn't get enough of VII that I download it for my PSP and enjoyed it for another great and well spend 60 hours +. love that shit. YEAH.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'm surprised so many people like FF VIII, which is my favorite as well. Anyway, I never played XI so I don't know how good or bad the game is, but it is an MMO so monthly subscription will drive the profit for the game up.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

1 ff7
    2 ff8
    3 ff x-2
    4 ff 11
    5 ff 13
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 2 - Bronze

For me it's

1- VII
    2- XII
    3- IX
    4- V
    5- VIII

Never played XI but seeing as how XIV was an MMO then it must have been a success as if they failed to generate any type of profit then they wouldn't have touched the MMO market again so soon.
    The Twilight Saga: A tale of a girl torn between beastiality and necrophilia.

♚ Overlord ♔

My fav list
    1-FFX
    2FFVII
    3-FFVIII
    4-FFVII Crisis Core
    5-FFXIII
    As for the XI its like a monthly payment thing I guess so as well as paying for the game itself you gonna paid monthly for an account as to other FF games you gonna pay only once. Not that it really matters, if that's there most profitable game thats cool. Now if people voted if thats the best FF game then that's different.