Xim Edge - PS3 / 360 Mouse and Keyboard Adapter for ANY game...

This is a discussion on Xim Edge - PS3 / 360 Mouse and Keyboard Adapter for ANY game... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The Xim Edge PS3 / 360 Mouse and Keyboard adapter has just hit public release. If you're a PC to ...

illegal in 9 countries

Xim Edge - PS3 / 360 Mouse and Keyboard Adapter for ANY game...

The Xim Edge PS3 / 360 Mouse and Keyboard adapter has just hit public release. If you're a PC to console convert like me and can't aim for shit with a DualShock, you need this bit of kit. It will make a WORLD of difference to your PS3 or 360 gaming experience.

The Xim Edge allows you to use PC gaming mice and keyboards to play PS3 games. Not just games with native PS3 kb/m support like Unreal Tournament 3, ANY PS3 game.

The Edge also supports the Logitech G13 gameboard and the Move Navigator if you prefer not to use a keyboard at all. The DualShock is plugged into the Edge alongside the kb/m so you can swap between mouse and gamepad in an instant to drive vehicles in Bad Company, or perform platforming sections in Uncharted, or use 6-axis motions for the few games that support it, like Killzone 2 and 3.

No other console kb/m emulator on the market comes remotely close - I bought them all including the XFPS, SplitFish FragFX (wired & wireless), Frag'N'Stein and EagleEye before finding the Xim. Everything except the Xim blows and blows hard.

Enough talk, see it in action...

I already own the Edge's predecessor, the Xim 3 (a 360-only device that could be manipulated into working on PS3 via a 360 to PS3 USB adapter) and used it to Plat Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Jurassic The Hunted, Borderlands, Terminator Salvation, inFamous and Fallout 3. I've also completed the single-player campaigns for Unreal Tournament 3, Killzone 2, Crysis, Portal 2, Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company, The Darkness 2 and Red Dead Redemption on PS3 and Mass Effect on 360 using the device. In short, I know Xim products do the job and do it brilliantly.

I've ordered an Edge because of the new native support for Smart Translators on PS3. Smart Translators will smooth out any rough edges in PS3 gameplay for exclusives, most notably in Killzone 2 which feels really heavy on both DS and kb/m. Smart Translators are frequently updated so we should see all PS3 exclusives on the list sooner or later.

Learn more about Smart Translators here - XIM3.com (scroll down to The Technology of Xim) or watch the intro video above. View the list of currently supported games here - XIM Edge Official Game Support List. You can also make your own configs if a game isn't on the list - I did that for PS3 exclusives and used Smart Translators for cross-platform games.

There are some differences between the Xim Edge and the Xim 3 to make the device cheaper and therefore more accessible to gamers at large. The most significant change is the loss of the LCD screen which was used for any number of minute tweaks on-the-fly, but dropping the screen also makes the Edge significantly cheaper. Most customisation is done via PC using the Xim Manager software. LEDs on the Edge serve the same role as the LCD screen to indicate configuration changes, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Given I own both devices, I'll be in a good position to compare and contrast the Xim Edge and Xim 3 and will update this thread when my Edge arrives in about a week.

Xim Edge is available for $89.99 plus shipping while stock lasts at www.xim3.com. At that price, it's a steal for the performance gained using a mouse and keyboard over a DualShock. You'll also be supporting indie hardware development that bitch-slaps commercial alternatives.

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in Xim as a product nor any commercial or personal relationship with the developers. I'm just a very satisfied customer and console mouser spreading the word about a shit-hot and now affordable, fully PS3-compatible kb/m device. As a mouser, buying a Xim is easily the best investment I've made in my PS3 gaming.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 07-10-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar...the usual stuff.

INTJ

so what is exactly is a improvement that isn't ps3 support.

don't feel like abandoning my xim 3 for this because im forced to use my computer to change stuff unlike the xim 3 where i can just do it on the device.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    so what is exactly is a improvement that isn't ps3 support.

don't feel like abandoning my xim 3 for this because im forced to use my computer to change stuff unlike the xim 3 where i can just do it on the device.
    If you've got a Xim 3, you should be used to upgrading the firmware every time a new batch of Smart Translators is released. I don't see having to use the PC to do the heavy lifting for configuring the device to be problematic. The on-device Xim 3 stuff is mostly to map keys, tweak acceleration or to swap profiles. The rest of the settings and can easily be set in stone in a couple of minutes without issue on PC.

The biggest change with the Edge is the direct support for Smart Translators in PS3 titles. Play Unreal Tournament 3 without a ST, then try it with the ST - the difference is monumental. With the ST, UT3 feels like a pixel-precise PC game. Without it, UT3 feels like you're playing MechWarrior instead of a twitch shooter.

To date we've either used 360 ST's in PS3 exclusives with variable results or hacked together custom configurations. That's kind of messy in games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 for working out size & shape of deadzones and acceleration so you can perform hard 180's or shoot accurately & quickly at objects on the other side of the screen. I think I used either the Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect ST in Uncharted with tweaked deadzone, acceleration and X-Y ratio. While serviceable and much better than the Dualshock, it wasn't perfect.

Allowing DualShocks to be plugged into the Xim Edge instead of forcing us to use a 360 controller opens up the 6-axis controls, which were a pain in the arse to deal with in Killzone 2. I'd hit the button, swap the controller assignments between the Xim and the DualShock, plant the charge or turn the wheel, then hit the again to reverse the process. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless.

Discarding the need for a 360 to PS3 USB adapter removes a source of lag. A lot of users reported slow response times to mouse movement or zig-zag movements. I had the same problem using the Cross Battle Adapter, but no issue with a GTMax.

The Smart Translator engine has been upgraded and there's a new ballistics curve editor to customise when to step up acceleration...if you're that anal-retentive about it.

In a nutshell, the Edge is smoother and faster to use than the Xim 3, but I'm assuming that's only if you count time in the MS. Mere mortals who can't hit the side of a barn with a gamepad won't care.

Honestly, if you've got a Xim 3, you'll survive without the Edge. I'm a gadget freak so I'll buy it regardless of necessity and I wanted a backup option in case my Xim 3 died. I'm bummed about the loss of the LCD screen, but I understand the move to ship more units to the many skeptics out there sitting on the fence.

When I get some free time, I'll capture my awful gameplay with the Dualshock in UT3 and Uncharted and compare it with the Xim 3. While I'm no competitive gamer (the old grey mare she ain't what she used to be...), the difference for me is night and day.