Why is my PS3 so terribly slow...?

This is a discussion on Why is my PS3 so terribly slow...? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey everybody, I have a problem with my PS3. When I play a game I sometimes get a message, and ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Why is my PS3 so terribly slow...?

Hey everybody,

I have a problem with my PS3. When I play a game I sometimes get a message, and want to reply to that. When I do that, my PS3 goes into a loading proces for about 1 minute just to load, the message itself, or to wright a message, or to go back to the game. It's insane and it hasn't been like this.

I've already tried to delete my music, movies, game data's and excesive save data's. But the problem still exists.

Do you have any idea's?

My PS3 is the 80GB and it age is about 3 years.

Thank you very much...

Greetings Gruntingbear

Gaming since 1985!

Are you pausing your game or just pushing the PS button when you see the message? My guess would be your PS3 is workin to hard to run the game AND check you XMB. I only seem to have this problem if I don't wait a second or two, pause the game and then press PS.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Thanks!! Trying right now!!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by jess1234567 View Post
    Are you pausing your game or just pushing the PS button when you see the message? My guess would be your PS3 is workin to hard to run the game AND check you XMB. I only seem to have this problem if I don't wait a second or two, pause the game and then press PS.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck
    Yeah I can imagine that. But I play WKC and you can't pause that. But I have it pretty frequent.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

it happens to me sometimes but it doesn't take that much time, maybe because I have a 250 GB slim and yours is a 80 GB fatty....

Lvl 6 - Silver

Mine sometimes 'stutters' and is almost like the animations are at about 10fps, and has an image burn to my tv (for example, I load a trophy screen, and it will still be visible in the background of the xmb when returning back to it), I just turn the ps3 and tv off for a couple of minutes, and restart. This has worked for me 100% of the time.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 9 - Gold

if you download a lot of stuff from the internet or from the playstation store, sometimes data can be corrupted, but happens more so when the download fails, stops by itself or is paused or cancelled by the PS3 user. there is a specific trick to deleting/reformatting all corrupted data for your PS3 without touching any saved data or game data or any other noncorrupted file. although i dont remember how exactly, i know you have to press the power button on the system itself a few times in a specific order. i would call sony and explain your problem and this message.
    their number is 1 800 345 SONY (1 800 345 7669)

Huge Gaming Backlog

This happens to me when my Internet slows down. It takes some time to load new messages.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

This happend to me religiously when i went back to AC:B mp for the plat.If i was in a chatroom i would communicate as little as possible due to the fact that if i did communicate in game it would cock everything else up for others.I was all over the net like a fly around crap trying to find a definitave solution but to no avail.I always keep my ps3 clutter free and rarely download anything but it kept on doing it.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Recon_1331 View Post
    This.

Static data, ie, data that isn't currently being accessed like Movies, Game Data, Game Saves, Music, Photos etc should have nothing to do with it. They're just 1's and 0's written to a HDD that aren't being accessed at the time.

It's the CPU-intensive stuff in current processes like playing a game, chatting, PM'ing, downloading, browsing etc that is likely causing the problem.

The only time my PS3 behaves badly is when it needs a defrag (database rebuild) which will repair references to corrupt data, or if a download locks up and won't complete.

Just a suggestion - if you're downloading from the PS Store at the same time as playing a game, pause it and resume after you've finished.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 07-15-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Forget I Was Ever Here

I have the FATTY 80g and a slim and they run @ the same speed...when i message people a lot back and fourth it pauses for like a minute nothing to serious, i also have music in mine but not movie.in my fatty i delete all the game data i can however

Threat

This has happened to me twice before. Both times because I was downloading a demo that I guess was just too big. I canceled the download and everything went back to normal.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Hmm... I didn't download anything. But I am moved a while ago, and I have wireless internet connection. I have no other internet using equipment on when I have my PS3 on. But I guess, I may try to get it wired. Would that help you think?

Tried the link before, but it didn't work out.

Threat

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntingbear View Post
    Hmm... I didn't download anything. But I am moved a while ago, and I have wireless internet connection. I have no other internet using equipment on when I have my PS3 on. But I guess, I may try to get it wired. Would that help you think?

Tried the link before, but it didn't work out.
    I don't think that would affect anything, I doubt it has to do with your connection.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Wow everybody, it was my darn connection. I've placed an ethernet cable right through the house on the floor.
    15 meters of uglyness, but it is gone completely!!

So, now I've got to find a way to work around that darn cable... Hmmm....