Spinning Disc

This is a discussion on Spinning Disc within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So, something I never knew about the PS3 is even if a game is not running, and has not been ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Spinning Disc

So, something I never knew about the PS3 is even if a game is not running, and has not been turned on, and the system is just idling on the XMB menu, the disc still spins. Well, I found that out the hard way when I accidentily knocked over my PS3 when it was vertical, and it gave off a sound like screeching tires. Out comes my FF13 disc and it looks like someone took sandpaper to it as some of the silver is literally gone from the edges, and there are nice gouge marks all over the remaining silver bottom.

I had the game a week, and just started playing it yesterday and now it's perma-fucked. It freezes the system every time it comes to the next cut scene after the save. Lesson learned. You win this round PS3...you win this round...

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Damn that's awfull. You have to check your inside of the PS3 too. Maybe some rests are still in there which damages other discs too!!!

Ice Cream Firefighter

damn that sucks bummer but I have to ask why were you close enough to knock it down, unless i'm changing the game i'm never near my system when I first bought Uncharted 3 the game never loaded past the new game screen where the spinning ring is luckily I was able to take mine back for another but I had a mate with a PS1 copy of SimCity with a 3cm ratio chuck taken out of the disk yet the game still worked perfectly the guy at the game store said it worked because the game data was stored closer to the middle of the disk. lucky bastard he was lol

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Legend...Nuff Said

I wouldn't even know how to crack it open.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Me neither, but there must be something like a cleaning disc or whatever.

Or you just try Assassin's Creed, no matter if that game scratches right?

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    damn that sucks bummer but I have to ask why were you close enough to knock it down, unless i'm changing the game i'm never near my system when I first bought Uncharted 3 the game never loaded past the new game screen where the spinning ring is luckily I was able to take mine back for another but I had a mate with a PS1 copy of SimCity with a 3cm ratio chuck taken out of the disk yet the game still worked perfectly the guy at the game store said it worked because the game data was stored closer to the middle of the disk. lucky bastard he was lol
    My room is not the biggest. The joys of apartment sizes in Korea. Leaving it on the floor was the only place I could put it where I had room. Why I had it upright I don't actually ever remember.

L

United Military Gamers

There are plenty videos on how to open a PS3 on youtube, check those out.....if I never opened mines I would've never seened the dust bunnies and dust buildup in it....

United Military Gamers - like us on Facebook

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    My room is not the biggest. The joys of apartment sizes in Korea. Leaving it on the floor was the only place I could put it where I had room. Why I had it upright I don't actually ever remember.
    ahh understandable I lived in a small appartment once my mate had lent me his xbox & I woke up 1 night got out of bed & put my foot through it but yeah standing on the floor what were you thinking but I also agree with GruntingBear maybe you should take it to a repair shop or at least enquire at one with your problem before playing another game you don't want to damage anymore of your collection

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Change is mediocre

Is it actually perma-fucked or could you just take it to a place that can fix the scratches and shit for you? That's what I would do.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Is it actually perma-fucked or could you just take it to a place that can fix the scratches and shit for you? That's what I would do.
    It's Korea, I don't think a place like that exists in my area. If I have to travel it'd just be cheaper to get another copy mailed from overseas.

@Daze: The system is not making any noises. It's still quiet. I think it was a one time thing, just a stupid one time thing. Horizontal it will stay.

L

The Stereotype Killer

Awwwww That's a bummer....

Lvl 8 - Gold

Sorry to hear that. I only had one disc go out on me and that was Red Dead Redemption, even though I have no idea how it happened. I hope your PS3 is OK.

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    It's Korea, I don't think a place like that exists in my area. If I have to travel it'd just be cheaper to get another copy mailed from overseas.

@Daze: The system is not making any noises. It's still quiet. I think it was a one time thing, just a stupid one time thing. Horizontal it will stay.
    Oh really? We have a shit-load here Costs like $10 as well. That's too bad.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Oh really? We have a shit-load here Costs like $10 as well. That's too bad.
    Yeah, Korea is not a console game country, its a PC gaming country. The number of PC repair shops are insane here. If I find a place though I'll try it out.

Anyone have a copy of FF13 they are willing to sell? LOL

L

Galaxy beauty pirate

That really sucks. :/

I would've sold you my copy if it didn't had a big scratch on it. First time I broke a game, but luckily I finished the last boss already when that happened. I think I took the disc out to early, it has a big scratch near the ring on the disc. Maybe that game brings bad luck.
    Sig by Ramon

Lvl 6 - Silver

Damn, that gotta hurt abit knowing that you gotta pay more money to finish the game

Atleast you learnt the lesson not to allow the playstation to fall over ;P well atleast when there is a disk inside it

Toggle Spoiler

Ice Cream Firefighter

I have decided I will get you a second hand copy & send it to you FOR FREE my store has a big sale on atm yes I manage a games shop & I like being generous I will have to get your details off you send them to me in a PM I will send it to you in about 4 days & you can believe what I say i'm being legit with this offer it will be a BLES copy

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles