Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lasombra Files Episode 12: No Time for Love, Dr. Jones

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files Episode 12: No Time for Love, Dr. Jones within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; After the wonderfully hospitalizing meal served to me in the last episode, I knew someone in this dark, rainy, country ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files Episode 12: No Time for Love, Dr. Jones

After the wonderfully hospitalizing meal served to me in the last episode, I knew someone in this dark, rainy, country called the UK was trying to silence me. Why, I have no clue, but apparently this reporter stumbled upon something he should not have. To make sure I wasn’t bugged, or booby trapped with some nefarious device I took the next concord home to Canada to get a check-up from a real professional, not those fake UK ones. But to my surprise I was waiting a long time for the concord. Apparently I’m still feeling the effects of whatever white powder I sniffed up a few weeks ago, cause I thought it was still the 1980s. Getting on a real plane, and not some made up imaginary fantasy contraption from a cocaine induced hallucination during a joyride in a plutonium leaking DeLorean, I’ll be meeting the doctor to the stars when I land in Episode 12: No time for love, Dr. Jones. I heard he makes a mean coffee. I can’t wait to try it.

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Name:
    Sean (Dr. Mayus)

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

Doc: When I was 4 I was sick with the Chicken Pox so my neighbour lent us his Colecovision. I remember playing Q*Bert and Roc 'N Rope quite a lot.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

Doc: In Jr. High I was trying to come up with something for my first email address. My friend was singing the song Dr. Zaius from Simpsons but then started to sing Dr. Mayus (combining my last name with Zaius) and it has stuck ever since.

Lasombra: What motivated you to become a trophy hunter? What was your initial spark?

Doc: I was running a game night with one of my stores when one of the employees started looking at my trophy score. I was level 4 at the time (and no platinums) and he thought it was funny that my job revolved around games and yet my score was so low. I made it my goal to beat his score and while I was doing that I just started enjoying completing games and continued.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

Doc: I'm an obscure hunter. I enjoy platting games that barely anyone goes for (Tony Hawk Ride/Shred, We Dare, Ea Sports Active 2 etc.). I do also enjoy platting sets of games. I have all the games made by Suckerpunch, all the GOWs, both Ratchets etc.

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

Doc: This really depends. Sometimes I will go for a couple of days not playing anything and then sometimes I will play 8 hours a day. It really just depends on my mood.

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

Doc: I am not going to let the game beat me. It is weird, if it is a game I like, like Uncharted 2, I am more than happy to beat it and move on knowing I will be back one day to finish off the platinum. If it is a game like Tony Hawk: Ride...well that game can go fuck itself, I don't care how many times I have to do the Barcelona Challenge I am getting that platinum and that is all there is too it.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

Doc: The only one I can think of was We Dare. I tried and tried to get the last challenge but the stupid game has such bad motion controls (it is a Wii Port) that I just threw my Move down in anger and left that game for a long time. Finally 3 months later I decided to go for it again and got the challenge on my second try.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

Doc: EA Sports Active 2, Tony Hawk: Ride and Tony Hawk: Shred just for how rare they are, but my actual proudest platinum is my Katamari Forever platinum. To earn it you not only need good scores in all the levels but you need to collect every single item in the game. When I finally got the COWBEAR it was such a huge sense of relief.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

Doc: I want to obtain 100 platinum trophies. I calculated it out and that would require me getting 5 platinums a month. So far it has been going good but some months I will be concentrating on tougher games so that will make it harder to obtain my goal.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

Doc: I guess, but only if they don't brag about their score, same goes for hacked plats. I hate going to the Post Your Newest Platinum thread and seeing people you know hack plats talking about their latest platinum trophy.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info for all to see? Why or why not?

Doc: I don't see why this hasn't been done already. I hate the fact that every leaderboard I am on doesn't reflect every gamer out there.

Lasombra: What tips do you have for someone trying to reach the next level and going after a difficult platinum?

Doc: Some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad, other things just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle; don't grumble, give a whistle and this'll help things turn out for the best. Always look on the bright side of life...

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

Doc: Final Fantasy 6 is the first game to come to mind. I was so excited when it came to PSN and was very disappointed to learn there weren't any trophies. This is my favourite game of all time and I even created my own trophy list for the game in gyrocop's thread (which can be found here Final Fantasy VI Trophy List) Some other games would be all the Ratchet & Clank games without trophy support, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Base Wars.

Lasombra: Being a merchandising rep for Sony, have you had any business talks with your superiors about how the 'business' side of gaming looks at trophy hunting? What do they think about it?

Doc: Never about Trophies but last year I did talk to our head of marketing about how cool it would it be if Playstation had a Smash Bros type game. I started listing off all the great match ups: Drake vs. Cole, Kratos vs. Sackboy, GT Car vs. Chimera. He agreed that it would be awesome and we left it at that. Then what do we see coming out this year Playstation All-Star Battle Arena. Am I responsible for this game being made, you be the judge.

Lasombra: What is your favourite flavour of Saturn Coffee that keeps you awake all night grinding such rare platinums?

Doc: In my medical opinion you should never drink Saturn Coffee while attempting a hardcore gaming session. Saturn Coffee will knock you into a trance from which you may never wake up. You will see things that no man should ever see and witness events happening in the past, present and future all at the same time. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria! That being said the Hawaiian Roast is delicious.

Lasombra: Working for Sony, can you fill the fans in on some of the day-to-day life of a Sony employee for those who are interested in working for the company, or a gaming company, in any capacity.

Doc: Well my job is that of a merchandising rep, so it is a little different than someone who actually works on games. I have a list of retailers that I need to visit in Winnipeg (and the surrounding cities) and I make sure that the staff are trained, the shelves are neat and tidy and stocked with the latest product, I set up marketing displays, run demos, fix interactives etc. Basically I do everything that is needed to make sure Playstation is shown off in the best light.

Lasombra: Have you met any superstar developers or voice actors while you’ve been working for Sony?

Doc: No...but that will change in August when we go to the conference in Vegas.

I have, on the other hand, met some actors while working for Blockbuster. Robin Williams came into my store, while filming the Big White, and rented some 360 games for some of the people on set (he supposedly was bored and volunteered to go). He was awesome and had no problem joking around with the staff and customers.

Jamie King (of Sin City fame) came into my store and rented a whole bunch of foreign and independent films. What was funny was I like to decorate my store with posters and standees and we had a Sin City standee set up (well after the film came out). She happily signed the standee and we later auctioned it off for our charity drive.

Finally J.K. Simmons came in and bought Blade Runner. What was funny about that story was the next day a customer came in who looked exactly like Don Cheadle. So I went up to him and told him how much I loved his performance in Hotel Rwanda. He gave me this odd look and asked what I was talking about. I said "I'm sorry J.K. Simmons was in yesterday and I thought you might be Don Cheadle." His response was "I guess we all look alike to you, don't we!" Well vindication was mine, because the next time he was in the store I asked Troy (who is African American) who that guy looked like and Troy said Don Cheadle...so there.

Lasombra: Having worked in the gaming industry myself, you’ve probably had to have signed a non-disclosure agreement for things you’re shown before release date. Is it hard seeing exciting things behind the scenes, or is it pretty routine now?

Doc: Honestly the stuff we can't talk about is pretty boring, it is mostly just deals that are coming up. As far as seeing or getting things early...well I made a fucking thread about it. Look what my work just sent me-Jealous

Dude, what’s with my hands? They are so psychedelic. They are all stretchy and changing colours. I’m the new Stretch Armstrong. I can beat out Super Dave. See, I told you that ticket clerk was on drugs, Richard. There is a concord parked in the parking lot for us. It’s not a made up plane. Wait, why are there ninja’s coming out of the frame? Assassins! I knew I stumbled upon something earth shaking. To the Batmobile to escape them! We’ll see you all next week in episode 13: The Dog House. Quick Richard, don’t drop the camera. Whoa, why can’t I walk straight, and why is there an invisible wall stopping me from moving forward? It’s changing colours too. What was in that coffee?

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:14 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Beast Incarnate

Another great interview. A lot of people guessed Mayus but I really didn't have a clue.

Closing this account

Very good read. I never pegged you as a Sean, more of a Mike or Jim type. You and that dang Tony Hawk, gald to see your not one of those loony types about 's

Roo Commander

Excellent interview and I'm pretty sure the Doctor lied about his age

Change is good

That was a great interview How long ago did you work at Blockbuster? Was it in Winnipeg? Because I frequented 2 or so Blockbusters before they bit the dust

Next one, eturnalunderdog?

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post

This is Aqua, and their song "Dr Jones". One of my favorite songs. Just FYI

Galaxy beauty pirate

O, I'm jelly of your Katamari platinum. Cowbear drives me insane (only 1 trophy left).

Nice interview and I think you have a nice job!

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    This is Aqua, and their song "Dr Jones". One of my favorite songs. Just FYI
    I'm glad someone knew it was Aqua.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.

A plat a month!

Nice to get a glimpse of the persona known as Dr Mayus!

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Another wonderful interview, and holy, you really met quite a few actors and actresses at work, especially Robin Williams! I have no idea who the next one will be, but let's wait and find out, shall we?
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

I'm the Oogie Boogie Man

Nice interview. I must mow credit you with Playstation All-Stars oh grand master.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!

.. Solar Fields ..

Another great interview. Always an intresting read Lasombra!

Nope, nothing

The part at the beginning about the UK is pretty confusing but oh well...

I was right And the first to guess correctly again

Nice read Mayus Thanks

As for the next one, I'm with Luck, I also think it will be eternalunderdog.

PRO Member

Great interview. Mayus is always a lucky bastard getting games free from sony and before thier release date and now they are taking him to vegas.....vegas!!!!!!

THIS AWESOME AVY BY THE ONE AND ONLY KID420247
    THE EPIC SIG CREATED BY APOKOLYPZ

Mr. 70 Plats

An interview with the good doc!? Awesome!! Great job to you both!

Platinum Procrastinator

Great interview, although I thought for sure it was going to be Dr_Doom this time around so you threw me off lol. Like Chambers, I too agree with dsluckay and think the next one is definitely going to be eternalunderdog. Hope he makes some sort of reference to the misery of watching TNA.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Resident PHD

Thanks everyone...but Lasombra you left out all my smileys

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    That was a great interview How long ago did you work at Blockbuster? Was it in Winnipeg? Because I frequented 2 or so Blockbusters before they bit the dust

Next one, eturnalunderdog?
    I was at Blockbuster from 2001 to 2009. I was at Henderson for 5 years, then I opened the Lagimodiere store (and worked there for 3 years) and finally they transferred me to Kenaston for 3 months and I finished off my time as the store manager of Osbourne (such good times ).

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

I was at Blockbuster from 2001 to 2009. I was at Henderson for 5 years, then I opened the Lagimodiere store (and worked there for 3 years) and finally they transferred me to Kenaston for 3 months and I finished off my time as the store manager of Osbourne (such good times ).
    I went to the one on Regent and the one near a Sobeys, the others were farther so we never went to others to rent things, which was why we loved Blockbuster. That's interesting though, I didn't know Winnipeg got so many celebrity visits

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

If you've noticed, no one had their smilies. They never work for some reason. LOL

L

Step closer to the big 50

Great interview... He has a great sense of humor I talked to him a lot... best person ever!

Avatar & Signature made by dsluckay / GDT bar by djunglist / PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast