Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

looking for an RPG that an rpg noob can handle and enjoy

This is a discussion on looking for an RPG that an rpg noob can handle and enjoy within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Oblivion, it does not have trophies but if you beat it you are automatically hooked to RPGs. Than move up ...

Check Those Corners

Oblivion, it does not have trophies but if you beat it you are automatically hooked to RPGs. Than move up to fallout new vegas, final fantasies, and skyrim.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Well RPG stands for Role Playing Game, and in Mario you do play the role of a plumber going to save a princess. I guess by that definition almost all games could be considered an RPG.
    Yes, but for an RPG to be an RPG the role that's being played needs to be inside a narrative, and there's hardly a narrative inside the Mario games.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Winter Is Coming

Like a few others i'd say try Skyrim or ff13, both excellent games. Ff13 was pretty much the first rpg i played and i got hooked instantly.
    Borderlands is well worth playing too, especially with number 2 coming out later in the year.
    I've heard Kingdoms Of Amalur is awesome too, i have it but haven't got round to playing it myself yet so i can't give my own opinion on it just yet

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Lvl 2 - Bronze

X-Edge and Resonance of Fate are the only RPG's that i played, X-Edge can be a lil hard

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Kingdoms of Amalur is a good choice. Even on the hardest difficulty it is manageable. The combat is fluid and there are a lot of quests to do. It's also an easy platinum.

PRO Member

I guess dragon age II easy game to handle and pretty fun with easy but time consuming trophies or fallout new vegas if you like fps type of rpg's

Avy: apokolypz Sig: djunglist Platbar: Thunder

Rangers F.C

Most RPG's start off easy till you level up a half dozen times , and if it has a difficulty setting put it to easy

Skyrim
    Oblivion
    Fallout Series

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jenkem_addict88 View Post
    download a naughty naughty snes emu and the earthbound rom

that is all
    You might aswell add Lufia 2 (SNES). It was my first RPG (if you don't include Pokemon Blue back for GameBoy) and 'til this day still one of my favourites. Simple and loads of fun.
    Although in the game they actually have something called "The Hardest Puzzle in the World"
    Lufia II (Spoiler) - "World's Most Difficult Trick" solution - YouTube (its hidden in the last mountain dungeon and it doesn't block your progress, don't be scared)

There's alot of great RPG's out there... but every RPG fan has their own favourites. Not every RPG is the same. You can't compare Dark Souls to Final Fantasy.. But I'm guessing since you have 3 CoD plats you will enjoy Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Borderlands. Even if you're in it just for the plat, the trophies are fairly straight forward and you won't even have to go out your way for most of 'em!

Someone recommended Resonance of Fate... bad idea for a RPG noob.

Either way, I recommend you check out some old RPG's to give you an idea of how different RPG's can be. Almost every SqaureSOFT (NOT ENIX) RPG is worth checking out. Chrono Trigger (SNES or PS1) is still easily one of the best RPG's of all time. Also as jenkem said, EarthBound (SNES) is worth checking out.
    Parasite Eve (PS1), Vagrant Story (PS1), Breath of Fire series (1 and 2 SNES, 3 and 4 PS1, 5 PS2)... I could go on for awhile but as I said, most are different. When you find the type you like, picking out games will be easy!
    I would also recommend Final Fantay Tactics (PS1) and Disgaea (PS2) but they are Strategy RPG's.. so they might not tickle your pickle in a way which floats your boat.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-murderer234 View Post
    Hmm try borderlands its very much like fallout but i found it much easier. Not really that grindly but your are allowed to have up to 3 friends with you so thats loads of fun. Its a unique FPS, RPG, with 4 co-op and a easy plat to boot whats not to love? In all honestly thought almost all western rpgs are easier than there Jrpg counter parts so avoid rpgs like tales,disgaea, and final fantasy if your not a hardcore rpg fan.
    borderlands sounds like an nice fit, i have one or two friends that will play with me

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Kingdoms of Amalur is a good choice. Even on the hardest difficulty it is manageable. The combat is fluid and there are a lot of quests to do. It's also an easy platinum.
    ill check that out as well, i heard about the studio closing down and would love to help them out but i use gamefly for all my games

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Oblivion, it does not have trophies but if you beat it you are automatically hooked to RPGs. Than move up to fallout new vegas, final fantasies, and skyrim.
    that was the second or third ps3 game i bought, i liked it very strongly

Lvl 1 - Bronze

thanks everyone for the help, i heard some great choices and know ill be gaming happy till November when my favorite games comes out

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Dark Souls....jk But it's a super awesome game that will make you completely addicted to it if you don't mind the challenge

Huge Gaming Backlog

Quote Originally Posted by TheFluke View Post
    Dark Souls....jk But it's a super awesome game that will make you completely addicted to it if you don't mind the challenge
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    This is true. Exactly what happened to me. Except for Final Fantasy.

There are still many old school RPG's that can be fun. The Monkey Island series is great and probably harder than you think, plus they have trophies. One of my favorite RPG's of all time is Grim Fandango. It was for PC and would not look out of place in today's market.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Abracadaver ;[

Yakuza series has all you want ,but the setting can be hostile if you're not used. Also Amalur or Dragons dogma are great,dragon ages are very linear and easy plat, hyperdimension neptune/mk2 are funny and not too hard. I just ended Nier and is very beatiful old style masterpiece,but a bit of grind.and Resonance of fate is one of the best ps3 rpg in my opinion.

Toggle Spoiler

Necromancer's holidays

Lvl 9 - Gold

Red Dead Redemption

Lvl 1 - Bronze

One word: SKYRIM !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    Red Dead Redemption
    RDR is TPS (Third Person Shooter)

My Own Worst Enemy

I'm gonna suggest Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This game has RPG elements like leveling and shooter elements.
    Not to mention its a ton of fun. Don't take my word for it though youtube it.(Melee kills)
    Last edited by Self_Saboteur-; 07-24-2012 at 02:01 AM.

(Props to dsluckay for the sig/avy) (Trophy bar by:Thunder)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeOxygen View Post
    RDR is TPS (Third Person Shooter)
    think harder about the characteristics of a RPG, youll see RDR fits in there, even if it doesnt look like an RPG

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    ive played some RPGs before but never liked them to the fullest. the ony ones that i beat our the kingdom hearts games and an little of the mass effect and fallout series.

so can someone help me find an Ps3 game thats got action, adventure, not that much grinding ,micromanagement and trophies would be great
    Kingdoms Of Amalur is awesome.
    Play it as soon as you can.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast