Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

looking for an RPG that an rpg noob can handle and enjoy

This is a discussion on looking for an RPG that an rpg noob can handle and enjoy within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; ive played some RPGs before but never liked them to the fullest. the ony ones that i beat our the ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

looking for an RPG that an rpg noob can handle and enjoy

ive played some RPGs before but never liked them to the fullest. the ony ones that i beat our the kingdom hearts games and an little of the mass effect and fallout series.

so can someone help me find an Ps3 game thats got action, adventure, not that much grinding ,micromanagement and trophies would be great

Level 5 Esper

Try FF13 ~ it's a bit linear, but the story is pretty good. Battle system is easy to handle and not much grinding unless you want to plat it. FF13-2 is also good with less grinding, but if you don't play FF13, you won't like it as much.
    >>>>> New Trophy Case <<<<<

Multiplayer/Old PSN

Currently Playing
    FFX-2 HD Remake (PS3) || Killzone Mercenary (PSV) || Hearthstone (PC)

My Guides

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
    Generator Rex: Agent of Providence

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Frost425 View Post
    Try FF13 ~ it's a bit linear, but the story is pretty good. Battle system is easy to handle and not much grinding unless you want to plat it. FF13-2 is also good with less grinding, but if you don't play FF13, you won't like it as much.
    the last FF i played was ten and i made it half way till i couldn't solve an puzzle. ever since then ive never enjoyed the series
    maybe im missing out

if im down with the game and enjoying it then i will go for the platinum

Legend...Nuff Said

Yakuza 3 and 4 but their trophies are pretty hard, but it's the least grindable RPG out there for the PS3.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Resident PHD

Costume Quest is cheap and a ton of fun.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

#cutformesa

If you can go the Xbox and/or PC route at all, I'd definitely recommend the Fable games. Very fun games without all the exhaustive stats and bonuses and loot of more serious RPGs.

Oblivion and Skyrim are also great; they can be as serious as you want to make them. If you're going for platinum you might have to get into the grind and stat-based mindset, but most of the trophies are fairly straightforward and you can definitely just enjoy playing the game doing whatever you want.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Closing this account

If you can handle Dragon Quest 8 on the PS 2, then go the route of Dragon Age: Orgins or Final Fantasy 13. I had never played an RPG before Dragon Quest 8 but if you count Super Mario Bro's on the NES as a RPG. The games I mention were kinda hare at first but I got the hang of it about multiples trys with trail and error.

♚ Overlord ♔

Hmm try borderlands its very much like fallout but i found it much easier. Not really that grindly but your are allowed to have up to 3 friends with you so thats loads of fun. Its a unique FPS, RPG, with 4 co-op and a easy plat to boot whats not to love? In all honestly thought almost all western rpgs are easier than there Jrpg counter parts so avoid rpgs like tales,disgaea, and final fantasy if your not a hardcore rpg fan.

Kiwi Defender

Try any Elder Scrolls game. If you liked Fallout 3, it'll be right up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_hawk View Post
    If you can handle Dragon Quest 8 on the PS 2, then go the route of Dragon Age: Orgins or Final Fantasy 13. I had never played an RPG before Dragon Quest 8 but if you count Super Mario Bro's on the NES as a RPG. The games I mention were kinda hare at first but I got the hang of it about multiples trys with trail and error.
    Mario is in no shape or form an RPG, though.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

♚ Overlord ♔

Quote Originally Posted by jay_hawk View Post
    Yes get DQ8 thats very easy but very meh for story though
    Super mario bro is more platformer than anything else but PAPER mario is where its at.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

There is this game called Nier, i havent played it myself but i heard it's a beginners RPG.

PRO Member

I don't really play super in depth RPGs at all. But, I really enjoy Kingdoms of Amalur
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 9 - Gold

i dont like rpg either but borderlands was awesome

Stay golden, Ponyboy

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-murderer234 View Post
    Hmm try borderlands its very much like fallout but i found it much easier. Not really that grindly but your are allowed to have up to 3 friends with you so thats loads of fun. Its a unique FPS, RPG, with 4 co-op and a easy plat to boot whats not to love? In all honestly thought almost all western rpgs are easier than there Jrpg counter parts so avoid rpgs like tales,disgaea, and final fantasy if your not a hardcore rpg fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    i dont like rpg either but borderlands was awesome
    I'll also suggest Borderlands
    If you like FPS then this is a fun and easy RPG (not that I've played even half of it but what I have played has been awesome.)
    And the GOTY edition with all of the DLC is only like $25 on Amazon
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

♚ Overlord ♔

Quote Originally Posted by C_34_M View Post
    I'll also suggest Borderlands
    If you like FPS then this is a fun and easy RPG (not that I've played even half of it but what I have played has been awesome.)
    And the GOTY edition with all of the DLC is only like $25 on Amazon
    You should really check it out perfect time cause once borderlands 2 comes out alot less people will be on this one.

PRO Member

If you played and enjoyed the tales series on previous consoles. I would say Tales of graces f. If you played both Ar tonelico on playstation 2. Theres Ar tonelico Qogaknell. Star Ocean: the last hope international if you can find a used copy. I enjoyed it on the xbox 360 but haven't fully played it on ps3.
    Red dead redemption cross between rpg and a shooter.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Mario is in no shape or form an RPG, though.
    Well RPG stands for Role Playing Game, and in Mario you do play the role of a plumber going to save a princess. I guess by that definition almost all games could be considered an RPG.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-murderer234 View Post
    Yes get DQ8 thats very easy but very meh for story though
    Super mario bro is more platformer than anything else but PAPER mario is where its at.
    DQVIII is not a very easy game for someone who does not really play RPGs. There is alot of bosses that would kill him in a second if not prepared properly.

Most RPGs usually are only as hard as you make them, take advantage of all buffs and debuffs. I find most RPGs really easy and enjoyable. I just wish there was better ones on the PS3, I miss the good old days of gaming.

Resident Deadhead

download a naughty naughty snes emu and the earthbound rom

that is all
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Costume Quest is cheap and a ton of fun.
    ^ This. Since it seems you're not dedicated to the typical drawn out grinding of most RPGs, smaller versions like Costume Quest, Dungeon Hunter: Alliance or the new Rainbow Moon could be the right fit. As for retail games, it seems Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 and the Dragon Age series both cater to casual RPG gamers, but if you prefer intense real-time action I'd have to recomment Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast