PS3 games region locked?

This is a discussion on PS3 games region locked? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have an Australian friend here in Canada dat is moving back home in 2 months. She will be buying ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

PS3 games region locked?

I have an Australian friend here in Canada dat is moving back home in 2 months. She will be buying a PS3 when she gets home and was wondering if PS3 games purchased here in Canada will work on an Australian machine? Thanks.

illegal in 9 countries

PS3 games are region-free. Canadian discs will work in Aussie consoles and vise-versa.

DLC from the PS Store however is region-locked. Australian DLC and Canadian discs are not compatible. Using a US or Canadian PSN account with Canadian DLC and disc will be fine, simply match the DLC code with the region code on the box and you're good to go.

RPG Master

Almost every PS3 game is not region locked. So you can play a JP or EU game on a NA/US PS3. For example, Demon's Souls has a JP, EU, and NA version but they all can be played an any region PS3.
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

No Game No Life

As far as I know the only game that is region locked is Persona 4: Arena
    So any game aside from that shouldn't be a problem

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

Negator

No games (to my knowledge) are region-locked, however DLC and multiplayer (in some cases) are region-based.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    PS3 games are region-free. Canadian discs will work in Aussie consoles and vise-versa.

DLC from the PS Store however is region-locked. Australian DLC and Canadian discs are not compatible. Using a US or Canadian PSN account with Canadian DLC and disc will be fine, simply match the DLC code with the region code on the box and you're good to go.
    I think only the DLC codes are region locked, not the actual DLC. I have lots of Canadian/American DLC on my Korean system and it works fine, but I didn't use codes for them.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I think only the DLC codes are region locked, not the actual DLC. I have lots of Canadian/American DLC on my Korean system and it works fine, but I didn't use codes for them.
    Yeah that's right. The DLC itself will work on any PS3, but it's region-specific. eg Region 1 DLC works with Region 1 games, not Region 4 games.

The exception is Region 2 <> Region 4 compatibility between UK and AU - we're both considered Europe and most DLC will work.

The only anomaly I've found is some versions of the UK Uncharted 2 discs don't work with AU DLC. My UK Collector's Edition of Uncharted 2 worked, Kerwan's standard UK edition didn't.

There's usually a serial code published in the PS Store to tell you which discs are compatible.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Only PS3 game in the world thatīs locked is the Persona 4 fighting game. Thank you Atlus, you were my favourite company and bought 90% of all your games (10% of them are pure crap). Now Iīm gonna play your games for free.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box