Final Fantasy XIII Veterans - I Need Help!

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy XIII Veterans - I Need Help! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hello Vets! I titled this thread appropriately because there are sure to be spoilers in here. I've just picked this ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Final Fantasy XIII Veterans - I Need Help!

Hello Vets!

I titled this thread appropriately because there are sure to be spoilers in here. I've just picked this game back up after a year of putting it down and I've really gotten into it. I've hammered through chapters 5 - 11 (I just got to chapter 11 *BANKRUPT* :p) in the last few days. I've finished the first hunt but before I proceed any further, there are several things I'm concerned/confused about. First and foremost is that blasted Treasure Hunter trophy that I've been reading so much about. I've found a list here on the forums and when I get a chance to print it out, I'll start checking stuff off. I've read that once you reach a certain point in the game, you won't be able to acquire any possible items on that list that you don't have. I NEED TO AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS. This is a fun game and I'm enjoying it immensely but I don't think I'm going to want to play through it again if I miss the Treasure Hunter trophy on the first play through.

The second part is upgrading. I don't know how it works. I don't understand how it's done. I vaguely understand that you use items to upgrade to the next level and that EXP is involved somehow. Beyond that, I got nothing. I don't want to waste time, money, and items on trial and error to get the top tier accessories or each characters Ultima Weapons. I've looked all over but I haven't found a solid guide on upgrading and how to do it from start to finish.

If anyone has any information or could point me to a guide or a thread that idiot-proofs either of these topics, it would be a tremendous help. I don't wanna stop playing but I want to make sure I get everything done on the first try more.

Thanks for reading this post!

PRO Member

In regards to the items, make a list and check it twice. Mark down items that you know for a fact you upgraded.

For upgrading, I found the guides on gamefaqs helpful. It's pretty complicated, but there are only a few materials that you will need. (sturdy bones for example)

Best of luck with the grind!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

No Game No Life

You should have posted on the FF XIII subforum.

Anyway. Most people have trouble on the Treasure Hunter trophy because of the accessories, mainly the elemental rings. You should have no problem with this rings if you always pick up the treasure chests scattered around. In case you have missed it, I think there's still a way, can't remember though, I think you have to fully upgrade this certain accessory then dismantle it.

Refer to my post here. You can find images there from the official guide book of FF XIII. The images are about the weapons and accessories. There's also the FF XIII trophy guide

Second question, for the upgrading, there are two types of items there that you can use for upgrading. Need to refresh my memory here. Can someone else explain how this works?

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by RaveNScythE18 View Post
    You should have posted on the FF XIII subforum.
    I didn't realize there was one. I'm pretty new to the site and this place is *HUGE*. I'm sorry about that. If you or an admin wants to move it for neatness sake, please go ahead.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by iTriple View Post
    Hello Vets!

I titled this thread appropriately because there are sure to be spoilers in here. I've just picked this game back up after a year of putting it down and I've really gotten into it. I've hammered through chapters 5 - 11 (I just got to chapter 11 *BANKRUPT* :p) in the last few days. I've finished the first hunt but before I proceed any further, there are several things I'm concerned/confused about. First and foremost is that blasted Treasure Hunter trophy that I've been reading so much about. I've found a list here on the forums and when I get a chance to print it out, I'll start checking stuff off. I've read that once you reach a certain point in the game, you won't be able to acquire any possible items on that list that you don't have. I NEED TO AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS. This is a fun game and I'm enjoying it immensely but I don't think I'm going to want to play through it again if I miss the Treasure Hunter trophy on the first play through.

The second part is upgrading. I don't know how it works. I don't understand how it's done. I vaguely understand that you use items to upgrade to the next level and that EXP is involved somehow. Beyond that, I got nothing. I don't want to waste time, money, and items on trial and error to get the top tier accessories or each characters Ultima Weapons. I've looked all over but I haven't found a solid guide on upgrading and how to do it from start to finish.

If anyone has any information or could point me to a guide or a thread that idiot-proofs either of these topics, it would be a tremendous help. I don't wanna stop playing but I want to make sure I get everything done on the first try more.

Thanks for reading this post!
    I dont consider myself an expert, but the way you talk, its obvious your a noob.

First off, you dont need to spend money on anything prior to chapter 11 (and even then, dont need to purchase much till the end of the game)

Next, each chapter prior to chapter 11 has treasure, many of which you wont have a chance to go back and get. So if your only worried about treasure hunter trophy now, you should worry about how thorough you was a chapter or two ago.

So now onto upgrading. There are many guides, which have different information. I recommend you look up a upgrading guide so you know how much you need for a certain item, and a different guide if your worried about which weapons to upgrade (i found many guides, and combining the info you get, you can really make good decisions.

As a side note, buy 30 sturdy bones (cheap) and use them. That will make the multiplayer X3 (the max), then use what items you need to hit the maximum level. Save before so you can undo any mistakes you do.

I could send you the guide links, but i am sure you will be fine. There are so many users on this forum, that they will give you the links you need. If not you can google "final fantasy 13 upgrade guide" and get good results.

dont be lazy

Fight Off Your Demons

I pretty much know what I'm talking about, as I've played this game 7 times and am currently on my 4th plat run. You can call me a little obsessed . I do agree that there's no need to be upgrading things until after you beat the game though, as you get many more materials to do so through the game and the missions.

First off, treasure hunter- The only things that can't be gained again once you sell them are elemental rings, and you can find at least one of every type in chapter 11, so you're not out of it you missed something in the earlier chapters. Before you do any upgrading/dismantling, print out a checklist and mark everything off once you have it in your inventory for the first time, it'll save you a lot of headache later.

Upgrading- It's pretty easy once you know what you're doing. There are two types of component, organic and mechanical. You can organize your components by hitting square, then choose categorize. This will put all the organic components first, and mechanical ones last. You can tell the difference by the icons. Some materials are meant to be sold (like credit chips) and will say "can be sold for a premium" in their description. There are a few that don't say this that should be sold as well, and you can usually tell because they will sell for at least 1000 gil and are organic materials. The last type of materials are transforming materials, which are meant to be used once a item is at * level to turn it into another item, and can't be used in other other way.

Organic components are mainly used for upgrading the multiplier as much as x3. Then you want to put in enough of the same mechanical material all at once to get the most out of that x3 multiplier. You can use organic materials as they drop, if you need more you can buy Sturdy Bones or Vibrant Ooze from the Creature Comforts store. Exactly 36 of either of these will give you a x3 multiplier. Most things you'll upgrade using Superconductors that you can buy from Lenora's Garage, except for some tier 2 weapons and basically all tier 3 weapons. To save you some time with weapons, you can use this site and it'll calculate how much of a particular item you need to upgrade it max. It's not perfect and has some errors, but it's better than doing the calculations by hand imo. As for accessories, most are pretty easy, so you shouldn't worry about wasting too much gil as they don't take a lot to upgrade.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm pretty sure I've picked up everything along the way so far. The only "treasure orb" I missed was with Vanille and Sazh during the chapter where you can change the weather from sunny to rainy and vice versa (I hope there was nothing important in it). Aside from that, I haven't sold anything I've acquired. Also, there are a bunch of treasure orbs that I missed along the Archlyte Steppe but that's due to my characters being too weak. I'm a lot stronger now and I could probably go back to the Steppe and knock out a few of the Hunts or just grind out CP. I got to the end of Oerba last night but got careless and wiped to Bathandelus at about 30%-ish.

Beam since this is your fourth run though, what would you suggest? Go back to the Steppe and grind out CP to max out the Crystalarium or finish Chapter 11 and keep the story moving to complete the game?

Thank you for your input.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Heres just a small tip, if your worried about screwing up the trophy just do not dismantle or sell any accessories. Good luck on that long money grind

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by industry18 View Post
    Heres just a small tip, if your worried about screwing up the trophy just do not dismantle or sell any accessories. Good luck on that long money grind
    I haven't sold anything and the only thing I've dismantled so far was a Tetradic Tiara* that I upgraded from a Tetradic Crown since I had FOUR of them. :p The only reason I did that was for a second pair of Sprint Shoes. Thanks for the well wishes, tetrazehedrons SUCK!!! >.<