Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

G4's Top 100 Games

This is a discussion on G4's Top 100 Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; G4TV And for those of you who can't be arsed to go through the list one by one (like me), ...

Kiwi Defender

G4's Top 100 Games

G4TV

And for those of you who can't be arsed to go through the list one by one (like me), here's a list:

100. Pong
    99. Words With Friends
    98. Pitfall
    97. NBA 2K11
    96. Guitar Hero II
    95. Burger Time
    94. Braid
    93. Star Wars: Tie Fighter
    92. Galaga
    91. The Sims
    90. Baldur's Gate II
    89. Left 4 Dead
    88. Double Dribble
    87. Mass Effect 2
    86. Out Run
    85. Silent Hill 2
    84. Wii Sports
    83. Ninja Gaiden
    82. Super Smash Bros. Melee
    81. Resident Evil
    80. Gears Of War 3
    79. PsychoNauts
    78. Spy Hunter
    77. Excitebike
    76. Blades Of Steel
    75. Fallout 3
    74. Starfox 64
    73. Mega Man II
    72. Mortal Kombat
    71. Wing Commander II
    70. Star Wars
    69. Double Dragon
    68. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    67. Minecraft
    66. Assassin's Creed II
    65. Unreal Tournament
    64. NBA Jam
    63. Wolfenstein 3D
    62. Civilization II
    61. God Of War III
    60. Contra
    59. Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tenacle
    58. Ultimata Online
    57. Pokemon Red/Blue
    56. Super Street Fighter IV
    55. Kingdom Hearts
    54. Gauntlet
    53. Deus Ex
    52. Rock Band 3
    51. Ratchet & Clank Going Commando
    50. Sonic The Hedgehog
    49. Angry Birds
    48. Tecmo Bowl
    47. Must
    46. Red Dead Redemption
    45. Metal Gear Solid
    44. Grand Theft Auto IV
    43. Quake III: Arena
    42. Ghosts 'N Goblins
    41. Super Mario 64
    40. Space Invaders
    39. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    38. Super Metroid
    37. Halo
    36. Batman: Arkham City
    35. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    34. Counter Strike
    33. Final Fantasy VII
    32. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
    31. Skyrim
    30. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    29. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    28. Super Mario Kart
    27. Chrono Trigger
    26. Ico
    25. Grand Theft Auto III
    24. Madden 2005
    23. Halo 3
    22. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    21. Resident Evil IV
    20. Call of Duty 4
    19. Diablo II
    18. Ms. Pac-Man
    17. StarCraft
    16. Half-Life
    15. Donkey Kong
    14. Uncharted 2
    13. Portal
    12. Doom II
    11. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    10. World of Warcraft
    9. Shadow of the Colossus
    8. Goldeneye
    7. Super Mario Bros. 3
    6. The Legend of Zelda
    5. Tetris
    4. Asteroids
    3. Bioshock
    2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    1. Super Mario Bros.
    So, I'm sure we will all disagree with at least 70 of the games listed (specially with the order of the first 10, or with some of those being there alone).

Regarding the top 20, I for one can't understand how come Bioshock is there while System Shock 2 isn't, how the original Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, Asteoirds, Goldeneye, WoW and Ms. Pac-man ranked so high while there's no Half-Life 2 and Quake there, not to mention there's only one Final Fantasy, and it's VII, meaning there's no I, IV, VI, X or XII (although I'm sure some of you will disagree with one of those I mentioned and think there should be another one, as always ).

Other thigns I disagree with are that there's only one Metal Gear title (Solid), that Wii Sports is there, that ME2 isn't high enough, that Angry Birds is there, and many other things.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Huge Gaming Backlog

I think Bioshock is in the right spot. I'm also surprised Grand Theft Auto III, Quake II and Civilization II weren't up near the top too.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

def. not my kind of ordering but a least they have the right games in there!

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 6 - Silver

Im not going to disagree with the list seeing it is their opinion on the matter. Its about the games that matter most to them, so Im not going to be in an uproar of "OMG why is this game ranked higher then this game" rant. My list would be entirely different and people would rant the same way about it as well. But the most important aspect in my opinion is how well a game is developed and what it means to you, what was the first game you plyed, what game do remember the most, what game got you started on a certain genre, etc. Thats what I base my list of games on, the list G4 provided has no bearing on me as it is thier opinion.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

When this came out right after G4 - I pretty much gave up on it after 100 was announced, that's how bad of a list this is. There have been a lot of these lists recently, but if you're going to allow people like Soulja Boy (who if you watched the show this was announced on, declared every third game "HIS FAVORITE!!!" and "BEST GAME EVER!" with equal input as industry inside people, you're going to end up with one gigantically shitty list).

Pong is arguably, as equal in importance as Super Mario Brothers is to the landscape of video games and all of the reasons why they put SMB on a pedestal, should have been equally applied to Pong, which was video games' first breakout hit. If it wasn't for a game like Pong, there would never be the rest of the list, and to put it at a bookend is just idiotic.

It's a modernist take on "The Top 100 Games" and done with not enough input by people who know gaming, and a bit too many casual inputs. There is never going to be a list that gets made that is ever going to make people happy, or even a majority happy, but I remember as this one was coming out and it's aftermath that there were a great deal of people (intelligent people, who can substantiate an argument with a foundation of decent reasons, data, and analogy) that were just livid than individuals who thought the take was alright.

I normally don't get worked up at all at these lists myself - but as I stated earlier, by the first entry alone and once 100-96 were stated, I was done with watching the show and read up on it later, because I knew this list was going to be ridiculous (and I really don't like hearing casual fans [I.E. celebrities without jobs] trying to quantify what is supposed to be a greatest of all time list). I came off early on feeling like the way this list was handled was with about as much care as "I Love The 80s".

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Up the Irons!

I don't agree with some of the games chosen (and their rank), and I also can't believe they didn't choose some (God of War 1/2, GTA: Vice City/San Andreas, and many more).

But oh well...

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

INTJ

deus ex not even in top 50

shit list will not read

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by System H View Post
    Im not going to disagree with the list seeing it is their opinion on the matter. Its about the games that matter most to them, so Im not going to be in an uproar of "OMG why is this game ranked higher then this game" rant. My list would be entirely different and people would rant the same way about it as well. But the most important aspect in my opinion is how well a game is developed and what it means to you, what was the first game you plyed, what game do remember the most, what game got you started on a certain genre, etc. Thats what I base my list of games on, the list G4 provided has no bearing on me as it is thier opinion.
    No one is going to agree 100% with the list (or any other list for that matter), but that doesn't mean we can't argue or point out things we disagree on. If everyone simply thought "That's his/her opinion, so I will shut up and let him say what he wants", we would live in a rather boring world, wouldn't you agree? So you might as well add some opinions of your own, regardless of them being different to those of the list or whoever is posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by APriceless View Post
    I don't agree with some of the games chosen (and their rank), and I also can't believe they didn't choose some (God of War 1/2, GTA: Vice City/San Andreas, and many more).

But oh well...
    Yeap, I was amazed the only GTA they listed was 3, but then again you can't have every "important" name up there, since it's only 100 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    When this came out right after G4 - I pretty much gave up on it after 100 was announced, that's how bad of a list this is. There have been a lot of these lists recently, but if you're going to allow people like Soulja Boy (who if you watched the show this was announced on, declared every third game "HIS FAVORITE!!!" and "BEST GAME EVER!" with equal input as industry inside people, you're going to end up with one gigantically shitty list).

Pong is arguably, as equal in importance as Super Mario Brothers is to the landscape of video games and all of the reasons why they put SMB on a pedestal, should have been equally applied to Pong, which was video games' first breakout hit. If it wasn't for a game like Pong, there would never be the rest of the list, and to put it at a bookend is just idiotic.

It's a modernist take on "The Top 100 Games" and done with not enough input by people who know gaming, and a bit too many casual inputs. There is never going to be a list that gets made that is ever going to make people happy, or even a majority happy, but I remember as this one was coming out and it's aftermath that there were a great deal of people (intelligent people, who can substantiate an argument with a foundation of decent reasons, data, and analogy) that were just livid than individuals who thought the take was alright.

I normally don't get worked up at all at these lists myself - but as I stated earlier, by the first entry alone and once 100-96 were stated, I was done with watching the show and read up on it later, because I knew this list was going to be ridiculous (and I really don't like hearing casual fans [I.E. celebrities without jobs] trying to quantify what is supposed to be a greatest of all time list). I came off early on feeling like the way this list was handled was with about as much care as "I Love The 80s".
    Oh yes, it's like one of those music-related lists VH1 comes up with in which they interview people completely unrelated to the music industry to name which song is the best of the 80's or of a specific genre, giving the list even less credibility than a "Best Game Ever" poll on Gamefaqs.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Legend...Nuff Said

Oh lists, lists, lists. I had to check G4 to see the 'criteria' for it and they failed so hopelessly. They say it's supposed to be a countdown of greatest defining moments but wait, no it's the greatest 100 of all time. Make up your mind G4 whoever you are. Truthfully I think I saw 5 minutes of that station at a friends cause they had satellite. No clue why they get all the hype they get. I don't even know what they are about. What the fuck does G4 even stand for? Are they suddenly going to feel fly like a G6?

These lists are all null and void and pointless because, extending off of what Rubi was saying, there are truly 3 defining games that changed the industry. Pong, SMB1, and Tetris. How you rank them is up to you, but those are the top 3. Every list I've seen has SMB1 as the #1 so its pointless wishful thinking reading a list like this. "Oh, is SMB not going to be #1 anymore? Come on, countdown go faster...#5 nope, #4, nope, #3 nope, #2...awww shit, SMB1 is #1 again. Maybe next year."

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Retired

Angry... Birds!?

Sinner and Saint

Where the fuck is Terminator: Salvation???

Sig & Avy by the amazing: apokolypz : PPS Bar by: RaveNScythE18

The Warlord's Path to Platinum

Lvl 5 - Silver

I wonder if I just have bad taste...haha.

Working On:
    "Fallout: New Vegas [Ultimate Edition]" - 59%,
    "Devil May Cry 3" - 14%,
    "Dead Storm Pirates" - 52% (3/5 S Rank)

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles_XLII View Post
    Where the fuck is Terminator: Salvation???
    I hope that's a joke

Check Those Corners

"32. Mike Tyson's Punch Out"
    ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?! What the is this thing G4 calls a list! This is garbage, and I will act like I NEVER saw or heard about this.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

no hannah montana? gtfo.

seriously though, lul @ this list.

FFVII at 33 is nuff said.... nvm having bioshock at 3 lol.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

My Own Worst Enemy

The only thing that is in this list I would agree with is maybe Goldeneye and the Original Mario being in the top ten every thing else is out of order or doesn't belong. But that's just my opinion which no doubt someone else would disagree with.

Saints Row IV

YES!! Top 2 are Nintendos masterpieces!! They deserved this place
    The rest of the list is complete garbage
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

PRO Member

I love lists like this as they serve as trip down memory lane and made me want to bust out the NES, SNES, Genesis and all of my other systems that are sitting on the shelf. I don't really have a problem with the list for the following reasons.

I'm glad they went with the classic definative representations of several series like Final Fantasy VII (although I like the English FF III the best) and the first Portal game when Portal 2 is actually in my top 10 of all time simply for how awesome the writing is.

The top 10 seems fairly right on as Shadow of the Colossus was the best game on ps2 in my opinion and Bioshock is my favorite of this generation.

I think pong bei ng number 100 was there way of saying that it easily could have been number 2 to SMB1 if the list was "most influential."

When I heard about the list I wrote down my top 10 gaming favorites/memories off the top of my head just to see how many made the list at all: Portal 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Mike Tyson's Punchout, Mario Kart, Bioshock, GTA III, Blades of Steel, Hitman, Psychonauts. I was shocked Blades of Steel made the list and I figured Hitman wouldn't.

Realize that Super Mario Bros is always going to be number 1, just like Thriller is always going to be number one on the best music video list. It's just the way it is.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Lists like these are horrible most of the time and there's no point in arguing over the games there. Needless to say, I do not agree with the list at all.

On a Paradise

Well... maybe... they made a cool list, but I'm not agree with that list D:
    But well.. I'm just a gamer and they're proffesionals

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast