Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations on Hard Drive clean-up/space saving

This is a discussion on Recommendations on Hard Drive clean-up/space saving within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey all, I have 120GB slim, and truth be told, I've pretty much maxed out the HD space with less ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Recommendations on Hard Drive clean-up/space saving

Hey all,

I have 120GB slim, and truth be told, I've pretty much maxed out the HD space with less than 1.5GB free space left.

With MGS4 coming out with full install capability (instead of Chapter by Chapter), I am to assume that I'm going to need more space than my PS3 can currently offer me.

I have no videos, music or pics on my PS3.

The problem with cleaning up game data, is that I still periodically play all of my games and I don't want to have to sit through an install process just to play for a coupld of hours.

How do you decide what to keep and what to delete?

I also have a handful or two of PSN downloaded full games.

Sonic 4: Episode 1
    Little Big Planet
    Infamous
    Resident Evil: Director's Cut
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    Resident Evil 4 HD
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
    Burnout Paradise
    Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
    Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

I guess Infamous and Little Big Planet should be first on the chopping block, although I've never completed either game.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    What's your clean-up method?

The Incredible Marccap

I usually delete my saved files when I plat and sell a game to make room if needed.

Add Me on PSN - Marccap

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Oh, and I do plan to eventually upgrade the HDD, just not in the very near future. Christmas maybe. Dunno, HDD prices are still high-ish since the floods in Korea.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Marccap View Post
    I usually delete my saved files when I plat and sell a game to make room if needed.
    I've only ever platted one of my games and I don't sell my games cause I always end up regretting it, lol.

Fight the Future

Do you have any duplicate games on disc and PSN? If so, I'd delete the PSN versions (I had had Shift 2: Unleashed since launch, and when PS+ gave it away for free I downloaded it, but it was over 6gb so when I needed more space I just deleted the PSN version) and you'll have a lot more room for games.

If you don't have any duplicates and you really need more space then I'd just delete the largest files. It won't really make a difference if you delete a game like Sonic which is tiny compared to the other games, so I'd make a list of your most played games and I'd delete the biggest ones that are the least played.

I'm in the same boat as you though. I've completely maxed my 320gb PS3 and need to upgrade. I've decided to go to a 1TB HDD and this is the one I'll be buying.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue SATA II 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache 2.5-Inch Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD10JPVT: Electronics

$98 for a 1TB HDD seems like a really good price to me and I don't think I'll ever have to upgrade the HDD again. I was going to do a 500gb drive but I already have a 320Gb HDD and I've filled it up pretty quickly so I don't personally think a 500 or 750gb HDD would be enough for me, but you may not need one as big as me so it may be cheaper to get a smaller drive.

Parker

Lvl 8 - Gold

whats the purpose of this thread,if you have to delete shit to make room delete it,start with the game you play less and like the least and go from their.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The point is, I am curious as how other PS3T members decide on the best way to make space on their HDD without upgrading. Also looking for possible tips and tricks, maybe somebody has knowledge of a way to clean out junk on the HDD (like a defrag of sorts) that wouls also save space.

I think I'll probably get rid of Infamous. It's an 8GB install, I just wish I would have finsihed it first. I have 2 save games, one bad karma on hard and 1 good karma on normal. I haven't been able to beat the final boss in either.

If I delete a game I purchased off the PSN, I can always download it again later on right? I dunno, I've never deleted/restored anything I've downloaded before. Purchase history, I assume?

★ Extra Astronomical ★

The 'View Downloads' button at the top right of the store menu has a list of all purchases and you can re-download anything from there.
    In the case of Infamous, if you delete the game data you will still have your saved data. I deleted Infamous 2 and still have my saves for whenever I feel like downloading it again. The only drawback would be downloading the file again.
    I typically play the same game for weeks until I am satisfied or beat it, then delete the install data and put it at the bottom of my pile. That helps me manage my HDD space.
    I used to have a 120 GB slim as well so I know how quick they can fill up.

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    whats the purpose of this thread,if you have to delete shit to make room delete it,start with the game you play less and like the least and go from their.
    He's trying to get opinions. If you think the thread is worthless don't reply to it and it'll drop down to the 2nd page and you won't have to see it. When you make a jackass response like you did, not only do you bump it to the top of the page (where presumably, you don't want it to be if you think it's worthless) you make yourself look like an asshole because you don't like someones question. Don't respond to threads if you don't think they're worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman_Geek View Post
    The point is, I am curious as how other PS3T members decide on the best way to make space on their HDD without upgrading. Also looking for possible tips and tricks, maybe somebody has knowledge of a way to clean out junk on the HDD (like a defrag of sorts) that wouls also save space.

I think I'll probably get rid of Infamous. It's an 8GB install, I just wish I would have finsihed it first. I have 2 save games, one bad karma on hard and 1 good karma on normal. I haven't been able to beat the final boss in either.

If I delete a game I purchased off the PSN, I can always download it again later on right? I dunno, I've never deleted/restored anything I've downloaded before. Purchase history, I assume?
    I don't know any tricks like defragging the HDD that will clear up more space so you're out of luck there, but to answer your other question, yes. Anything you download off the PSN can be re-downloaded through your purchase history. It will suck to have to re-download 8gb's though, so have you thought of buying an external HDD to back all your data up to while you wait to purchase an HDD to replace the one in your PS3?

illegal in 9 countries

If you haven't played a game in 3 months, delete the Game Data. Problem solved.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm in the same situation as you man, except that I have an 80GB fatty. My advice is to delete game data from the games you rarely play. NEVER delete saves though as they only take up mere KBs (sometimes MB for huge games such as Skyrim and Fallout) and they won't make a difference. Before I buy a new game, I have to beat the current one and delete its game data as soon as I finish it. This has been really annoying lately.

When I get the money, I'm going for a 120GB HDD, 160GB, or even a 250GB, if the price is reasonable.
    Assassin's Creed II, Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

illegal in 9 countries

Missed this one...keep the Game Saves, delete the Game Data.
    Download it again from Purchase History in the PS Store at any time when you're ready to finish it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kino321-X View Post
    When I get the money, I'm going for a 120GB HDD, 160GB, or even a 250GB, if the price is reasonable.
    You'll have a hard time finding a drive that small, unless you're buying a Slim PS3 rather than a HDD to replace the 80GB.

Go for a 640GB or 1TB HDD, should cost under $100. The HDD needs to be 2.5" (a laptop drive), 11 mm high and connect via SATA II or III. RPM doesn't matter.

1TB is the max capacity of an internal PS3 HDD and if it's any taller than 11mm it won't fit into the drive bay, so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 07-23-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    He's trying to get opinions. If you think the thread is worthless don't reply to it and it'll drop down to the 2nd page and you won't have to see it. When you make a jackass response like you did, not only do you bump it to the top of the page (where presumably, you don't want it to be if you think it's worthless) you make yourself look like an asshole because you don't like someones question. Don't respond to threads if you don't think they're worth your time. I don't know any tricks like defragging the HDD that will clear up more space so you're out of luck there, but to answer your other question, yes. Anything you download off the PSN can be re-downloaded through your purchase history. It will suck to have to re-download 8gb's though, so have you thought of buying an external HDD to back all your data up to while you wait to purchase an HDD to replace the one in your PS3?
    obviously you dont know the definition of the word purpose,only asshole here seems to be you.I wasn't saying this thread was useless i was just wondering if he was wanting us to decide which games he should delete off the list he posted.He answered my question and didn't seem offended by my simple question.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Just noticed that I had the game data for Assassin's Creed II on my HDD. I don't even own the game, so there's 1.5GB gained. It breaks my heart to delete any of my other ones though, but I gotta remember that's it's just game data.

Only problem is, if I replace that empty space with new game data, then I'm screwed and will have to find other game data to delete if I wanna play my old games again... aaargh, lol.

And yes, I have a 40GB external HDD that I use for my Save Data, Photos and videos.

illegal in 9 countries

Just noticed that I had the game data for Assassin's Creed II on my HDD. I don't even own the game, so there's 1.5GB gained. It breaks my heart to delete any of my other ones though, but I gotta remember that's it's just game data.
    I think the bigger problem is you're not finishing games, so you've become attached to the Game Data. I can relate to that but it's better to finish them off and move on. You'll get the satisfaction of the Plat and make room for new games.

Otherwise, suck it up, delete the stuff you don't use regularly and reinstall it later when you're ready to get back into it. You're not losing anything but a bit of bandwidth and installation time. If it's a PSN game, it can be automated overnight and will be ready for you come the next morning.

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    obviously you dont know the definition of the word purpose,only asshole here seems to be you.I wasn't saying this thread was useless i was just wondering if he was wanting us to decide which games he should delete off the list he posted.He answered my question and didn't seem offended by my simple question.
    My apologies then. I read your post as an attack of sorts, and since tone can't be read through the internet I assumed it was intended to be negative. Disregard my previous post.

Crocodile Hunter

This happened to me like a week ago lol. I just bought a 2nd ps3

Sig by Apokolypz

The Girl Gamer

I mostly delete games that I know I won't play again for a long while. I also delete games that take big space of my hard drive. I only keep the save files since they don't take up too much space.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I usually delete duplicate files & big sizes of games to free up disk space.

Deathless Destroyer

Delete any unused data, demo's which you never use etc. That should free up enough space, if not, buy a new HD, back up your files onto a computer and then transfer them.

I had a 60GB PS3 for almost 7 years and never had to. Only starting to use my 120GB due to YLOD.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast