Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What genre do you wish could come back?

This is a discussion on What genre do you wish could come back? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; If anything Survivor Horror I guess although I wish some RPG's exists that are creative like Dues Ex, Mass Effect ...

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

If anything Survivor Horror I guess although I wish some RPG's exists that are creative like Dues Ex, Mass Effect or something like that. Yeah, they have shooting elements but what I am really trying to say is that I'm not into most RPG's cause most RPG's are some sort of stupid demon slaying demon lover fanatics, or fantasy whatever etc. I also have a need for RTS games, I feel it's genre is dying. (for PC's obviously). IF anything, I'm stuck playing the old school RTS games. (Company of Heroes, AOE3, Starcraft) etc. Hopefully Generals 2 & COH2 have some potential but old franchises are old.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Bring back genres? I want more new IPs before I could worry about those. The PS2 era was the shit
    I know this isn't technically right, but I agree a hundred fold about the new IPs. I didn't think that gaming companies would be so absolutely out of original ideas, stories, and techniques that they couldn't create full retail games at a rate that shocks us any more. It's sad that the brand new IP is one of the rarest finds on the retail market.

---

To give an answer to the question that is an actual genre - educational. Now I am sure a lot of people sit there and go, "What the fuck is this guy thinking, mentioning crappy Sesame Street type games that lack depth?" What I mean is that educational genre to be changed and transformed by the technology, disk space, and availability to transform into something that is far better than any of the poor representations that existed in generations long past as mainly a through-away kiddie genre.

I look at a program like Rosetta Stone, and wonder how amazing it would be if with the size of blu-ray discs that we don't have adaptations of the program making an appearance on home consoles. Just imagine how empowering that trophy ding would be if along with it came something that you were able to pick up and actually use in real life as an applicable skill. I imagine there would be trophy seekers who are native speakers that would exploit their own knowledge (or considering how poor most people are at their usage of the languages they know - think that they would have an easy time, but most likely would fail once actually tested at their aptitude) - but I feel that the overwhelming majority of people who meshed up home console experiences with actual learning would find the rewards of actually attaining a platinum that equates into something that you can use to your advantage after walking away from the console to be the most rewarding "fake" awards one could achieve. Just imagine mom's out their bragging as their sons and daughters have platinum trophies in things like Intermediate - Mandarin (Chinese) or Beginners - Russian.

Foreign languages are just one example, but I could see comprehension, mathematics, composition, and so forth really being utilized to bridge gaming and learning to another level. We are already in a digital age in which many adults take college classes mainly on their computer with little to know actual classroom experience what so ever - I think it's time that other institutions of learning, both mandatory and optional, should try and utilize the abilities of home consoles to expand to forms that individuals utilize every day, with a consideration of the possibilities of what they can do with these advanced platforms that are in most people's living rooms to begin with; and do it in a way that is fun, entertaining, and makes people realize that education doesn't have to carry a negative stigma of being something that isn't fun.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Bring back Burnout it's been too long and Need For Speed has been terrible since Carbon

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymoobs View Post
    Need For Speed has been terrible since Carbon
    Carbon was last in series that a bought , loved that game

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymoobs View Post
    Bring back Burnout it's been too long and Need For Speed has been terrible since Carbon
    Burnout had a game 4 years ago (which is still to this day awesome). And Crash last year or so.

Buy my book, Alteration

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    Jak X combat racing as a PS2 classic + online servers would be cool.
    That game was awesome. I still pop it in every now and then for the sake of 'splosioneering.

I would also like more vehicular combat games, but I miss the days with all those 3D platforming, so more of those is good.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Gotham's Reckoning

I notice that there are very little or no stealth games other than Hitman and Splinter Cell and even the soon-to-be-released newest additions to both series seem to be more of a shoot em up than just complete stealth which is the key aspect of both series.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Resident PHD

Puzzle-platformer.

The only one I can think of was Henry Hatworth (and it is )

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 9 - Gold

Survival Horror games that are actually "survival" and not "shooters." By that I mean ammo conservation, reduced/limited inventory space, and puzzles that make you THINK but with consequences. For example, RE4's puzzles were okay, but they didn't give you that sense of actual success as, for example, RE2's puzzles. The hardest ones were pretty much the Green Catseye gem and the one before rescuing Ashley (the three-colored lights). And those were EASY as hell. I want back those times where you had to choose whether carrying a key to hopefully open a locked door or feel safer with a spray/herb/medkit.

Another genre I'd love to see back is turn-based JRPGs. Like the older Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest, Suikoden, even FFX, to give some examples. Games like FFXIII give you some sort of "turn-based" feeling but in reality it's not like that. I really miss those. DOn't get me wrong, I LOVE FFXIII and Tales of Graces f and Star Ocean, but I wanna see my beloved turns back. Dragon Quest VIII's battle system was perfect in my opinion.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Negator

With the exception of Survival Horror and turn-based RPGs, all the genres/games people are listing never died. To make matters worse, I'll throw a vote in for a genre that never got the respect it deserved - Tower Defense.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I know this isn't technically right, but I agree a hundred fold about the new IPs. I didn't think that gaming companies would be so absolutely out of original ideas, stories, and techniques that they couldn't create full retail games at a rate that shocks us any more. It's sad that the brand new IP is one of the rarest finds on the retail market.

---

To give an answer to the question that is an actual genre - educational. Now I am sure a lot of people sit there and go, "What the fuck is this guy thinking, mentioning crappy Sesame Street type games that lack depth?" What I mean is that educational genre to be changed and transformed by the technology, disk space, and availability to transform into something that is far better than any of the poor representations that existed in generations long past as mainly a through-away kiddie genre.

I look at a program like Rosetta Stone, and wonder how amazing it would be if with the size of blu-ray discs that we don't have adaptations of the program making an appearance on home consoles. Just imagine how empowering that trophy ding would be if along with it came something that you were able to pick up and actually use in real life as an applicable skill. I imagine there would be trophy seekers who are native speakers that would exploit their own knowledge (or considering how poor most people are at their usage of the languages they know - think that they would have an easy time, but most likely would fail once actually tested at their aptitude) - but I feel that the overwhelming majority of people who meshed up home console experiences with actual learning would find the rewards of actually attaining a platinum that equates into something that you can use to your advantage after walking away from the console to be the most rewarding "fake" awards one could achieve. Just imagine mom's out their bragging as their sons and daughters have platinum trophies in things like Intermediate - Mandarin (Chinese) or Beginners - Russian.

Foreign languages are just one example, but I could see comprehension, mathematics, composition, and so forth really being utilized to bridge gaming and learning to another level. We are already in a digital age in which many adults take college classes mainly on their computer with little to know actual classroom experience what so ever - I think it's time that other institutions of learning, both mandatory and optional, should try and utilize the abilities of home consoles to expand to forms that individuals utilize every day, with a consideration of the possibilities of what they can do with these advanced platforms that are in most people's living rooms to begin with; and do it in a way that is fun, entertaining, and makes people realize that education doesn't have to carry a negative stigma of being something that isn't fun.
    wow you wrote alot

i agree that they should bring back educational games. Either they made it for elementary children or advanced it to high school type stuff, we should have some educational games.

Parents would be happy because kids are learning, children would be happy, because its better than homework, and teachers would be happy (can you assign video games as homework?

I work with kids, and I am always looking for ways to teach them more. When they dont have homework, i cannot do much if they arnt willing to do my worksheets. But if i can make them play fun educational games (i used to have a computer that played educational computer games) they would be happy and i know i am doing what little i can to make them smarter.

going back to the computer details i was mentioning, the computer was old and died unexpectedly. Kids were bummed because they enjoyed the games, which means if i could i would get another computer to get them back onto the games.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I just wanted to revise my position on this topic

Game genres that should be brought back:

Educational games - parents and kids alike would benefit and enjoy this type of game. ALthough kids would be less likely to play this, if given the options of educational games or no playing games, most would choose to play, and if it was fun, even better

Card games - games like yu-gi-oh, pokemon, magic, etc were popular and can be again. Many gamers that remember these fads would be open to playing old games on their ps3, or even better, a new game of these series.

monster rancher - not sure if anyone remembers these games, but these were kind of fun. Both the ranching game and card game were fun, as it had their own monsters unique to the series, as well as a following from its tv show. I would play these games if they were brought back

Farming games - Games like Harvest moon, which brought sim dating mixed with farming, was popular and could be again. THese brought a non violence type of game, with responsibility as well as fun while growing plants, taking care of animals, and trying to date random girls in the village.

run away horror - not sure if anyone remembers clock tower, or games similar to that, but i would like this type to come back. This type of game is similar to silent hill, where you run away, with the exception of there is no way to combat the enemies at all. hiding or triggering events were the only way to slow or get away from an enemy. Brings real horror, removing the option to turn around and gun the enemy to death.

Dance dance revolution - i know there is a title of this series on ps3, but there should be more! DDR used to be a huge hit in arcades (fad) and although it wont ever be as popular again (on ps2 there are 10 at least) it did help health and fitness. With great music, movement that brought exercise, and a trophy system, i am sure some gamers that dont get up and out alot would benefit from this

Thats all for now guys. I am sure i can think of more, but these types of games should be brought back. What do you think?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    Also, I wish vehicular combat games like Twisted Metal, or Rogue Trip would come back. With good online servers.
    So I guess the recent Twisted Metal game that came out this past spring doesn't count. By the way, the game offered really nothing new that was fun. Sorry, but it had it's time and it is a dead franchise/genre. Maybe some indie developer will come out with a cool idea to change it up.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    So I guess the recent Twisted Metal game that came out this past spring doesn't count. By the way, the game offered really nothing new that was fun. Sorry, but it had it's time and it is a dead franchise/genre. Maybe some indie developer will come out with a cool idea to change it up.
    Good online servers.

Threat

Survival horror is all I miss
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    I just wanted to revise my position on this topic

Game genres that should be brought back:

Educational games - parents and kids alike would benefit and enjoy this type of game. ALthough kids would be less likely to play this, if given the options of educational games or no playing games, most would choose to play, and if it was fun, even better

Card games - games like yu-gi-oh, pokemon, magic, etc were popular and can be again. Many gamers that remember these fads would be open to playing old games on their ps3, or even better, a new game of these series.

monster rancher - not sure if anyone remembers these games, but these were kind of fun. Both the ranching game and card game were fun, as it had their own monsters unique to the series, as well as a following from its tv show. I would play these games if they were brought back

Farming games - Games like Harvest moon, which brought sim dating mixed with farming, was popular and could be again. THese brought a non violence type of game, with responsibility as well as fun while growing plants, taking care of animals, and trying to date random girls in the village.

run away horror - not sure if anyone remembers clock tower, or games similar to that, but i would like this type to come back. This type of game is similar to silent hill, where you run away, with the exception of there is no way to combat the enemies at all. hiding or triggering events were the only way to slow or get away from an enemy. Brings real horror, removing the option to turn around and gun the enemy to death.

Dance dance revolution - i know there is a title of this series on ps3, but there should be more! DDR used to be a huge hit in arcades (fad) and although it wont ever be as popular again (on ps2 there are 10 at least) it did help health and fitness. With great music, movement that brought exercise, and a trophy system, i am sure some gamers that dont get up and out alot would benefit from this

Thats all for now guys. I am sure i can think of more, but these types of games should be brought back. What do you think?
    I wanted to add three more to my list. I know i will get some heat for these next three, but i want to put it out there, free from shame.

Sim dating games- Not sure if there has ever been any Ps3 game title of this type, but there should be. Playing on the computer, there are many online sim dating, where you remember the correct answers, do mini games for items or favor, and actually try to date the characters. I would throw harvest moon out there, as it was sort of this genre, and i would hope they bring this onto ps3, or newer systems

Erotic games -- Agarest wars! Although this has anime pictures, the pictures given are pretty suggestive. I know everyone will think i am a perv for even mentioning this, but the truth is sex sells. I dont mean just mindless images of bodies, but a actual good game that has some great rewards. Other examples are "the mans game", a trivia game where your rewarded with "girls gone wild". Last example is "we dare". This motion game, although a huge dud like the other two i mentioned (IMO), seems to be on a few gamer cards, which i wouldnt be ashamed to have on mine, once i find a copy of that game

Last one on my mind is a turn by turn RPG. I dont just mean the final fantasy series (FF1 to 10-2 had a turn by turn system, some with the option to make the battle "real time") but also vandal hearts, agarest wars, tactics games, etc. I know i missed mentioning a whole bunch, but i assume my point has gone across. Anyway, I hope they bring back turn by turn roleplaying games, as thats what everyone grew up with, and some of us would rather play.

I hope some of you agree, or at least see what i am talking about.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I just thought of one which isn't a genre as such but more of a gameplay element and that is Psychic games. I would like more games that lets you play with psychic abilities like telekinesis. I'm talking about a game like 'Second Sight' which I really enjoyed. I don't think there are many games like this

Lvl 8 - Gold

tactical shooters like the original rainbow six.

PRO Member

Survival Horror... AND a dinosaur/survival game! DINO CRISIS
    And Theme Hospital type sim

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I Wish the Legacy Of Kain Series would return. This was an awesome Series.
    Jesus is Lord!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast