Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56

What genre do you wish could come back?

This is a discussion on What genre do you wish could come back? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; As several others have mentioned "runaway/survival" horror. I posted a thread a few months ago asking about a similar title ...

  1. #41
    Bob 'n' Becca
    957_Bob_Hollywood_13_HFS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On tour with the Foos
    Posts
    1,816
    Reputation
    34

    As several others have mentioned "runaway/survival" horror. I posted a thread a few months ago asking about a similar title to haunting ground. I loved that game. It was the only runaway horror game I've ever played though I was interested in clock tower 3 I just never got around to buying it. Also I loved survival horror back in the day. I mostly played resident evil but my time with silent hill was pleasant. I was too afraid to play siren. Lol. I loved re4 but it changed the genre. Not saying that's bad but sometimes I miss the old controls and voice acting and general style of play. I did dl code Veronica and 4 for the ps3 and the controls are worse than I remember but I remember playing those games over and over. Especially resident evil 0.

    so I am a fan of old school turned based RPGs. I love the free roam variety but final fantasy Viii and Ix were my shite. As for stealth games I'm a fan of the last released hitman and the second and over course I love the first two mgs but I never player mgs from a purely stealth perspective. I enjoyed killing the guards. As for the person who said the new hitman looks to have a lot of action I disagree. The footage I've seen shows 47 sneaking around and executing where he needs to. I really look forward to the game and I believe it'll be goty.

    EDIT: a further note on stealth gameplay I banged heavy with manhunt. The first was nearly all stealth until towards the end of the game where you had tons of guys shooting at you and you had to shoot back.

    Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

  2. #42
    PRO Member
    daftprophet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,593
    Reputation
    345

    Quote Originally Posted by 957_Bob_Hollywood_13_HFS View Post
    so I am a fan of old school turned based RPGs. I love the free roam variety but final fantasy Viii and Ix were my shite.
    This. Exactly this. I want my turn based RPGs back






    |
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

    |Avy - Animals As Leaders|




  3. #43
    NSFW
    gyrocop's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Land of Dumb Puns
    Posts
    1,488
    Reputation
    115

    point-and-click games.... Yup.




    Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

    Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

  4. #44
    Bob 'n' Becca
    957_Bob_Hollywood_13_HFS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On tour with the Foos
    Posts
    1,816
    Reputation
    34

    But in truth as another poster said a lot of these genres aren't dead. Jrpgs aren't dead. A lot of the time they just lack the same appeal. Final fantasy is final fantasy. Mofos know that. Whether its because vii was such an awesome game Or square has an amazing track record but final fantasys will sell. There are games out there that I have never heard if that are jrpgs but have a good fan base. It's out there I just have to get to it and be open minded. I'm not saying you have a similar situation as me however.

    Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

  5. #45
    Bob 'n' Becca
    957_Bob_Hollywood_13_HFS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On tour with the Foos
    Posts
    1,816
    Reputation
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    point-and-click games.... Yup.
    Just say this and have to say... AW SNAP!!!!

    Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

  6. #46
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    grayghost's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    WAAAAAY over there
    Posts
    703
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Bring back genres? I want more new IPs before I could worry about those. The PS2 era was the shit
    Yep. Them were the day.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247


  7. #47
    Ice Cream Firefighter
    great_daze_tazer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    3,395
    Reputation
    351

    I would like to see Road Rash style games hell today they could even call it The Sons Of Anarchy & they could even sandbox it & make it a awesome story mode game & a online Sonic the Hedgehog where they release 4-8players in 1 stage to freeroam the stage collecting things while hightailing for the finish quicker that would be a day 1 purchase for myself

    & they need more games like Prototype, Infamous, Darkness, Splatterhouse, Darksiders, Heavenly Sword, Bayonetta, Nier, Prince of Persia, Dante's Inferno, God of War & Dead Rising these games to me are top shit & need a bigger focus on them

    FPS are the big thing nowadays because they are the easier MP platform for them to make


    PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer


    Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles






  8. #48
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Deth's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hill 137
    Posts
    816
    Reputation
    34

    Survival Horror. Like real Survival Horror. None of that bullshit like Resident Evil 4 and 5. The mid 90's - early 2000's was the golden age.


  9. #49
    Angel of Death
    cengizbobengiz's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,597
    Reputation
    24

    Turn based RPG's like the original Final Fantasy games. I miss those...

  10. #50
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Crealkllr's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    50th State Fair
    Posts
    993
    Reputation
    25

    Sorry to NECRO this thread but i wanted to add one more genre to the list i previously posted

    I wish they would bring back the old Sim games. Not where your watching out for a family, but for a business or area. Examples are sim earth and a computer game i forget the name of. In the computer game, your building a ski resort. You get to buy restaurants, attractions, set the courses, and raise the price for admission. ALthough these types of games are just memories, i think that it would be a success as many older gamers would play it again, and younger gamers might find it fun. I also remember a dino museum sim game, where you rent and hatch dinosaurs. All of this was back when i was in elementary, but i sometimes think back to that time and say to myself "i would play that game if i could find it".

    I remember having seen some kind of roller coaster sim game before, and they could give it a twist if they want to modernize the game for this generation


    Adding to that list, there was also a adventure type game where you travel around the worlds famous locations looking for clues. It was something like "jungle cruise" or "Oregon trail" where you can take pictures of animals, hunt them for food, trade, and die from real life situations. I would classify these as "education", but they were also so fun.



  11. #51
    PRO Member
    Trunksu25's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    290
    Reputation
    34

    turn based RPGs, 2D beatem ups (or any Beat em up type of games like double dragon, final fight, streets of rage etc), & 2D platformers...

    Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

    Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!


    My Trophy List
    : Click Here




  12. #52
    Bob 'n' Becca
    957_Bob_Hollywood_13_HFS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On tour with the Foos
    Posts
    1,816
    Reputation
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    Sorry to NECRO this thread but i wanted to add one more genre to the list i previously posted

    I wish they would bring back the old Sim games. Not where your watching out for a family, but for a business or area. Examples are sim earth and a computer game i forget the name of. In the computer game, your building a ski resort. You get to buy restaurants, attractions, set the courses, and raise the price for admission. ALthough these types of games are just memories, i think that it would be a success as many older gamers would play it again, and younger gamers might find it fun. I also remember a dino museum sim game, where you rent and hatch dinosaurs. All of this was back when i was in elementary, but i sometimes think back to that time and say to myself "i would play that game if i could find it".

    I remember having seen some kind of roller coaster sim game before, and they could give it a twist if they want to modernize the game for this generation


    Adding to that list, there was also a adventure type game where you travel around the worlds famous locations looking for clues. It was something like "jungle cruise" or "Oregon trail" where you can take pictures of animals, hunt them for food, trade, and die from real life situations. I would classify these as "education", but they were also so fun.
    I was just about to mention Oregon trail, but know what was even better? Amazon trail. That game was tight.

    Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

  13. #53
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    SirWaWa's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    142
    Reputation
    1

    puzzle games other than bejeweled

  14. #54
    Final Fantasy XIV Guru
    Organization XIll's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    302
    Reputation
    11

    Strategy RPGs. I wish PS3 had a Fire Emblem equivalent. I loved my memorable characters, super advance checkers play-style, and heart felt storyline.

    Semi-Example: Valkyria Chronicles



    Avatar created by: remus1997
    Signature created by: DaRe_xLw


  15. #55
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Bring back genres? I want more new IPs before I could worry about those. The PS2 era was the shit
    We would need devs to stop going cross-platform if new IPs are going to keep being pumped out. The SNES/Genesis and PS2/XBOX/GC wars were good because almost everything except for sports titles were exclusive. Final Fight vs. Streets of Rage, Killzone vs. Halo, Final Fantasy vs. Phantasy Star. I hope with the PS4/XBOX 720/Wii U that companies go exclusive so we can see more new creations.

    As for OP, I would say grid-based SRPG's ala Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics. I always loved those games.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  16. #56
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    We would need devs to stop going cross-platform if new IPs are going to keep being pumped out. The SNES/Genesis and PS2/XBOX/GC wars were good because almost everything except for sports titles were exclusive. Final Fight vs. Streets of Rage, Killzone vs. Halo, Final Fantasy vs. Phantasy Star. I hope with the PS4/XBOX 720/Wii U that companies go exclusive so we can see more new creations.

    As for OP, I would say grid-based SRPG's ala Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics. I always loved those games.
    Unfortunately it is just not cost effective for companies to stay exclusive. Whenever you see something like Monster Hunter of Kingdom hearts exclusive to a console it is only because they had a garbage truck full of money dumped on their lawn and figured "what the hell"

    Also if you like strat RPGs check out the disgaea series

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO