View Poll Results: Do you care about the business and financial side of gaming?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am very intrested in it and it affects what games i play and what gaming companies i like.

6 16.67%
  • I like to keep updated about it and it can affect what games i play.

8 22.22%
  • A little but it doesn't affect what games i play.

14 38.89%
  • Nope, it doesn't intrest me...

8 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you care about the business and financial side of gaming?

This is a discussion on Do you care about the business and financial side of gaming? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I noticed a few members here on the forum who seem genuinely intrested in the business and and financial side ...

Game on....

Do you care about the business and financial side of gaming?

I noticed a few members here on the forum who seem genuinely intrested in the business and and financial side of gaming and it got me wondering. Personally i don't really care too much about it and i am all about the gaming and games.

Do you boycott certain gaming companies? Will you only buy specific games by specific games developers?

Nope, nothing

As long as the developers keep making games I like, and Sony keeps the PlayStation franchise going... I really don't care

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Somewhat interested / like to know what goes on with the business side of developers, companies, tactics etc.
    It's an important part of the industry.. obviously.

As for any companies effecting my decisions, usually no/never.. in the end, make the games, I support.. simple.
    ..Except for one top boss... EA.
    Last edited by Chaotically-Epic; 07-31-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Closing this account

Until they make a perfect sports or RPG game, I really don't need to know anything that isn't writing on back of the case.

Lvl 4 - Silver

All I care is that the company keeps going. At this stage I would say that every gaming company deserves to keep going but some should rethink there strategy or who they are aiming certain games at.

Bob 'n' Becca

I mostly care about the gaming and the games that companies put out. There are certain publishers that I like but that's mostly just the ones that provide my favourite series. I usually don't even know who develops a game. I was playing god of war chains of Olympus and saw Santa Monica studios and couldn't figure out why it was so familiar. As for the financial aspect of the industry that doesn't interest me. Before I had a ps3 and I wanted a wii I would brag about how well the wii was doing in sales but that was as far as it went. But I'm not completely ignorant. I do read game informer completely (except for Mayhaps the cover game info) and I notice if a particular company is doing something I don't agree with. I've never boycotted a specific game or developer or system but if it came down to it I probably would if I thought I could make a difference.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'd say that i slightly care because at the end of the day, developers need to make money but when it comes to developers making games just for the sake of some extra money when the product isn't much better than the prior, i have a problem

For example, CoD:Black Ops was the last CoD game I purchased and will most probably be the last (unless quality extremely improves) - This is due to the lack of change in the constant products that are brought out. Also the point that the developers seem not to really care about the consumer, it irritates me a little

On the other hand, you've got GTA 5 coming out in the near future from the brilliant Rockstar Studio's - I think this is the perfect business model to take on if possible as despite the many sequels, they are all quality & the developers clearly puts content over cost which shows that they have some care for the consumer

Lvl 9 - Gold

i think boycotting a gaming company is stupid, especially if you have games you like by them or theyre releasing games youd like in the future. i personally and beyond reasonably HATE CoD:[email protected], but im not going to boycott treyarch or activision (although i would like activision to be more involved in patching their games), but im still not boycotting em

i just think its childish

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Me personally im not bothered.I wouldnt boycott anything,everyone likes something and not everyone likes something that others might.I just buy games and play them and thats it for me.Theres always something out there for someone so really they developers put thought into everything really.Maybe i should care,at least a little.After all,these developers and what not have made some great games and they deserve credit where its due and they are people just like us gamers.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Korean Girl Group Groupie

If game companies are not making money, there isn't any expansion; if there isn't any expansion, there isn't going to be no innovation; if there isn't any innovation, the entire landscape of gaming becomes stale.

If a company is making money, they are more inclined to make more games. I, like everybody else, don't like every single title that is out there and am selective with which titles I choose to invest my hard earned buck into. Now, if the profits of a company are doing well, they are more inclined to add new developers, expand upon their current teams, or invest into other areas and find out what it is that the gaming community likes, or areas that gamer's demands aren't being met upon.

With these new developers, there is room for new ideas, new outlooks, and new experiences for the gamer as a whole. When gaming is booming, you see new creative minds being given opportunity to enlighten the rest of us with new visions and projects that push gaming to new and exciting levels - pushing the size, visuals, and game play to new levels that push the gaming community to evolve as new plateaus of what can be achieved with the platforms available to them are achieved. With raising the level of expectations for what can be considered "the best" and what is "acceptable", the people who reap the benefits of there being more options available to the gaming public - is the gaming public themselves.

Anybody who doesn't want everybody on the production end making money, and pushing the boundaries of gaming - is basically saying that what is available now is good enough for them, and that anything new isn't necessary. Everybody should be wanting the gaming business to be booming for all sides, if they want to be able to find those games that you will pop in your system, and be talking about for decades to come, like the titles you love today. Money is the only commodity that generates the rest of the resources needed for gaming to be great.

Silly question for anybody who puts any thought into it, unless you want to come out as a selfish person with a sense of entitlement.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

PRO Member

I like to keep up with the latest news about developers and publishers as I find most of it quite interesting. It will never affect if I buy there game or not though and I don;t think it should. People who will never by a Bioware or EA game ever again because of the Mass Effect 3 ending are absolutely ridiculous. EA publishes many fantastic games (Sim City, Need for Speed, countless sports games, Crysis, Dead Space, etc.) and one thing that they do wrong should not affect the way that you look at all of their other games.

Sig by Bladia

Up the Irons!

"A little but it doesn't affect what games i play."

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

INTJ

It majorly effects games people play

so yes.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

A little bit yes, I find is somewhat fascinating so I enjoy reading up on it. I would never let it affect the games I would purchase though.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    It majorly effects games people play

so yes.
    Only the vocal minority. Tons of people on the internet have said for months that they will never buy EA games, but that tons of people is only like what.......... 4% or 5%. You have to consider all of the people out there who simply buy Madden every year or bought Mass Effect 3 because they saw it on a commercial and loved the hell out of it. They never even knew about the whole ending controversy. And those people make well over the majority of gamers so I would not sat that it "majorly" effects what people play seeing that most people don't know or care about any of it.

Sig by Bladia

Retired

I don't understand, why is EA hated so much?

I hate Activision, with the Call of Duties, and the fact that they ruined the Crash and Spyro IPs. And barely make new IPs.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    I don't understand, why is EA hated so much?

I hate Activision, with the Call of Duties, and the fact that they ruined the Crash and Spyro IPs. And barely make new IPs.
    Would you still buy games made by Activision?

My Own Worst Enemy

Love games even if an,"Evil Empire" makes them.

I play what interests me.

(Props to dsluckay for the sig/avy) (Trophy bar by:Thunder)

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Would you still buy games made by Activision?
    No, because I don't like any of their games.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    No, because I don't like any of their games.
    That is fair enough but would you still buy those games if you liked the games and hated Activision?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast