PS3 Slim cooling fan?

This is a discussion on PS3 Slim cooling fan? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have noticed recently that my ps3 is getting quite warm during prolonged sessions (only ever since I bought MK9 ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

PS3 Slim cooling fan?

I have noticed recently that my ps3 is getting quite warm during prolonged sessions (only ever since I bought MK9 though...). It restarted itself once but again, during MK9 and hasn't happened before or since..

It is an area that is quite well ventilated, but the back is still getting fairly hot. Just wondering should I buy a cheap usb powered cooling fan or is there anything else I can do? I have recently hoovered the dust from the vents, but not sure how much difference this would have made as I can't open it up [still in warranty].

Please note that there is nowhere else in my flat that I can put it for better ventilation, as my mrs will only allow it in the lounge and not the bedroom - 'cause she'd never see me
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Negator

I recommend a fan that doesn't require power from the PS3 itself. Any fan with its own power supply should work...hell, I've got a PC fan directly beneath mine to circulate air away from the unit.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

ok, i shall have a look what i can find, thanks helyx
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    [

Retired Staff Member

Sometimes the fans can do more harm than good. Try dusting it out with some compressed air, see if that cools it down during the longer sessions.

Lvl 4 - Silver

My ps3 restarted and froze a lot when i played Skyrim.. Maybe we have the same issue? Though i don't know what the issue is...

Quote Originally Posted by A random guy on youtube
    If you want to marry a Korean woman, you will have to beat their father in StarCraft first \(-.-\)

PRO Member

I read somewhere that even elevating it up with some bottle caps can help the natural airflow. Just a thought and hope you figure something out

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I read somewhere that even elevating it up with some bottle caps can help the natural airflow. Just a thought and hope you figure something out
    I just did this 2 days ago. I think there is about an inch of space under my PS3, maybe 3/4 of an inch.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Hmm, thanks for the advice, I'll see if there's anything I can improvise with in the mean time. Cheers guys.
    [

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Not much you can do with consoles besides attempting to air compress the dust or place it in a better location but as you said. I've noticed though, slims run way hotter than a phat boy. At least mine does on the bottom & near the back ventilation & that's with it placed in an open hard top surface.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by jooakim View Post
    My ps3 restarted and froze a lot when i played Skyrim.. Maybe we have the same issue? Though i don't know what the issue is...
    Nah, you were just playing Skyrim - lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I read somewhere that even elevating it up with some bottle caps can help the natural airflow. Just a thought and hope you figure something out :
    I have my PS3 elevated on both sides with a clear gap directly underneath. I'm actually using 3 PS3 game cases per side, and I have a large PC fan using an external power supply to circulate the air under the console. For the most part it does well, but this summer has been especially tough with 100F+ heat.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay