Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

DualShocking Announcment: Sony Wants Your Help Designing the Next PS3 Controller

This is a discussion on DualShocking Announcment: Sony Wants Your Help Designing the Next PS3 Controller within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s 6-axis says Hello! 6-axis is beautifully implemented in Heavenly Sword and LocoRoco Cocoreccho and even, dare ...

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    6-axis says Hello!

6-axis is beautifully implemented in Heavenly Sword and LocoRoco Cocoreccho and even, dare I say it, Lair. 6-axis is one of the differentiating factors that convinced me to buy a PS3 over a 360.

It's not Sony's fault that most games don't utilise it, which more to do with cross-platform control scheme consistency with the 360. Devs don't want fork out extra money to implement alternative control schemes unless it's necessary, so 6-axis has fallen by the wayside.

As far as progression goes...PS One controller > Analog Sticks > Rumble > 6-axis. And how about the touchpad on the back of the Vita? That's not innovative enough for you?
    6-axis is more of an annoying feature in most games it's implemented in to me. It's a cool idea, but I've never found it very useful of game-changing in anything I've played.

And the touchpad on the Vita is unrelated. If we want to talk Vita, then it has a complete package or great hardware (too bad Sony is doing a poor job backing up the device. I'm talking directly about Sony's line of PS3 controllers.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    That about sums it up for me I don't want any chance.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    6-axis is more of an annoying feature in most games it's implemented in to me. It's a cool idea, but I've never found it very useful of game-changing in anything I've played.
    Try Heavenly Sword - it's a tech demo for how SixAxis should have been used.

And the touchpad on the Vita is unrelated. If we want to talk Vita, then it has a complete package or great hardware (too bad Sony is doing a poor job backing up the device. I'm talking directly about Sony's line of PS3 controllers.
    It is related when you're complaining about a lack of progression and innovation.

The PS controller is an icon and the DualShock features and shape aren't going to change. Motion-Control has been done and is widely regarded as a failure.

That leaves touch screens and touch controls as the next logical progression. Sony's done both on the Vita and neither makes sense on a DualShock.

To compete with the WiiU we can use a Vita, but I doubt your average gamer's going to fork out for one just to play a PS3 game.

Longer-term, head-tracking and voice-control will play a larger role, but not until recognition works effectively for 99% of the populous and tracking is zero-latency. Again, neither has any impact on the design of the DualShock, so I really don't know where else they can go.

Legendary...Nuff Said

It is related when you're complaining about a lack of progression and innovation.

The PS controller is an icon and the DualShock features and shape aren't going to change. That leaves touch screens and touch controls as the next logical progression. Sony's done both on the Vita and neither makes sense on a DualShock.
    It's unrelated because I'm talking about innovation specifically with the dualshock. It'd be cool to see some sort of redesign with that specific controller, is what I'm saying.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

illegal in 9 countries

It's unrelated because I'm talking about innovation specifically with the dualshock. It'd be cool to see some sort of redesign with that specific controller, is what I'm saying.
    And I'm saying it is related because touch screen, touch controls, motion-control, voice-recognition and head-tracking are the alternatives and most if not all are unsuitable as innovations or progressions for the DualShock.

Sony wouldn't be so stubborn and just give their consumers what they've been wanting for oh so many years.
    With the exception of putting some touch pads on the underside of the DualShock, what else they can do? And what is it their consumer have wanted for so many years? Any suggestions? None at all?

The PS controller is a brand icon, it's basic design won't change. Do you remember the outcry over the boomerang concept before the PS3 was released? The media and gaming communities had a field day over it's stupid design, so Sony went back to basics and stuck with a design that worked.

You don't fix what ain't broke...

Retired...

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Well I basically copied the design they have now. Then I added these wings to lower wind resistance and I feel the racing stripes are pretty sharp.

It it does happen, It's great to play a new Gran Turismo.

Signature made by dsluckay & PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

Kiwi Defender

I think that, at this point, it's much easier to simply order a custom skinmod than submitting a design and hoping it gets accepted. A cool idea by Sony, but it's rather pointless by now.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Platinum Procrastinator

Other than the crater on the analog sticks like Ant1 mentioned, I don't think there is a need to change anything with the current controller.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Negator

Who cares what color it comes in?

The only thing that's wrong with the design of the controller is the exposed triggers and the fact that they're convex rather than concave. Other than those 2 minor changes, the controller is fucking perfect.
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 08-03-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

The DualShock's mushroom-shaped analog sticks are more slippery than the 360's craters. As a result I find myself adjusting my thumb position more often on the DS.

It's more of a material issue than design - it's intended to be no-slip, but over time it smoothes over and gets slick under thumb. The original Dual Analog Controller had craters prior to rumble, I'm not sure why they changed it.
    Haha, the funny thing here is, since I had been using my same two PS3 controllers ever since my first use of my PS3, one or both of them now have an inclined hill shape on the left analog stick due to friction and wear-and-tear. Ironically, that has increased the no-slip grip for my fingers. So if you allow wear-and-tear into consideration, I dare say the PS3 DualShock did its job well over time.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Legend...Nuff Said

The triggers and general feel of the controller is uncomfortable, especially when compared to something such as an Xbox 360 controller. There are subtle improvements that could be at least tried out. I just want to see some sort of progression with the controller.

Granted, it doesn't stop me from enjoying a game and I'm nitpicking here, but still. It irks me that there's a lack of innovation here.

Then again, why should I be surprised?
    Innovation for the sake of innovation is the stupidest thing ever. The controller works for almost everyone. To change it is a complete waste of R&D. Have we not learned from the insane stupidity of Nintendo in the controller design departments?

Also, do people not know how 'New Coke' almost ruined Coke. If something is good and accepted, it is not a bad thing to keep it the same.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Although I didnt like the very first PS controller that much, the dual shock controller was fine to me. I have been using PS since 95.

But it would be cool to design my own color scheme.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I don't think there is anything wrong with the PS3 controller. Obviously the triggers aren't really ideal so I guess that's something I would want to change, and maybe the analog stick. Playing NHL kind of ruins them lol.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Well I basically copied the design they have now. Then I added these wings to lower wind resistance and I feel the racing stripes are pretty sharp.

Can you also adjust the downforce and the camber of the analogue sticks?

PRO Member

Other than the analog stick deterioration and non-concave, there is nothing wrong with it. I guess the springs in the and could be improved as well

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Synthwave <3

I submitted my idea. I suggested more colors for gamer girls. I have the pink one, but would love to have purple or pink camo. Another one I just thought of that would be cool would be something that looked like blood splatter on the controller.

I'll post a link when my idea shows up.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Lvl 5 - Silver

PRO Member

I've got no problems with the current PS3 controller ... I guess like a lot of you already said - if it ain't broken don't fix it

On a side note I don't really care for touch features, but I hope to god if Sony do decide to implement them in the next gen controller that they don't place them on the controller like in the picture

the select button and start button are way to close to each other which may cause problems during gameplay (for example like in BF3 where you have to use the select button to spot, but use the start button to ... well open the start menu xD)

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Lvl 7 - Gold

I don't care what they print on the controller - I don't want it's shape and basic design to change. The only change to its makeup is I would make it stronger, though that would just be a stronger plastic and better assembly. I've snapped one in half already (shocked my damn hand as my finger slid into the open components), and the one I have now seems to be losing grip in the seams.

They need to keep touch screen technology away from handheld controllers.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

INTJ

move that left stick to the top left and then we will talk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast