Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

DualShocking Announcment: Sony Wants Your Help Designing the Next PS3 Controller

This is a discussion on DualShocking Announcment: Sony Wants Your Help Designing the Next PS3 Controller within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Everyone loves color – the vibrant tones that help brighten up our world, allow us to discern objects from one ...

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

DualShocking Announcment: Sony Wants Your Help Designing the Next PS3 Controller

Everyone loves color – the vibrant tones that help brighten up our world, allow us to discern objects from one another, and ultimately, just look damn beautiful. Sony wants to bring these qualities to its line of DualShock 3 controllers, and wants your help doing so.

By utilizing PlayStation.Blog Share : Have an idea to improve the PlayStation experience? Share. – a service Sony implemented to allow gamers to share ideas – players can submit their ideas for new DualShock 3 designs to be voted on by the community. That last day to submit an idea is August 15th, and all you need is a PlayStation Network account to access Blog.Share, which will allow you to begin voting/submitting. It is presumed that the most popular ideas will be used when designing the controller.

However, players are only allowed to make cosmetic changes to the DualShock, such as suggestions for different colors. The DualShock 3′s form factor must remain the same, so don’t expect Sony to finally release that boomerang controller to the public. This also means that those hoping the controller will get better triggers are out of luck.

At the moment, Sony sells the DualShock 3 in a small range of colors, from the original black to game inspired designs such as the Japan-exclusive Uncharted controller (pictured above). However, compared to the competition, Sony is lagging behind. While there may not be a rainbow of Xbox 360 controllers to choose from, the system still gets plenty of game specific controllers, like the gorgeous Gears of War 3 gamepad, and the controller included with the Halo 4 Limited Edition Xbox 360. It should come as no surprise that many of the designs submitted to Blog.Share so far are based on popular games such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the God of War series.

The most popular idea, however, is one PlayStation owners can definitely get behind: PSN user MushThePainter suggested that Sony design an “original PSOne Grey DualShock 3.” Personally, I’d be glad if Sony just released a dark green controller – but a classic grey would still be welcome.

What type of design would you like to see on the DualShock 3?

If we're only allow to JUST change the cosmetic design of the controller and not give our own input on the overall design change, whats the hell is the point?
    For most of use, instead of buy some stupid controller with a different color, players would just add SKINMODS on either their controller or their PS3?

I don't really see the point having to submit our own cosmetic design at all since this was a problem from Day One when we wanted various color designs.

Though...if they want my 5 cent on what the PS4 should look like, it would be THS-->

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

Legendary...Nuff Said

Damn, the problem with the controller is the controller itself, not its cosmetics. I wish Sony wouldn't be so stubborn and just give their consumers what they've been wanting for oh so many years.

That said, this is actually a cool contest and I might take a shot at it if I'm really feeling like loading up GIMP again.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Damn, the problem with the controller is the controller itself, not its cosmetics. I wish Sony wouldn't be so stubborn and just give their consumers what they've been wanting for oh so many years.

That said, this is actually a cool contest and I might take a shot at it if I'm really feeling like loading up GIMP again.
    What's the problem with it? The only thing I could think of would be the triggers.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    ..well OK, I'm fine w/ the current design.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I really dont mind the current design of the controller, I actually prefer ir over the 360 controller design

Lvl 7 - Gold

You make it seem like EVERYBODY hates the controller. Yeah, I've seen a number of people say how much the PS3 controller sucks, but there's also a shitload of people who have no problem with it.

What exactly do people find wrong about the controller anyway? The three main complaints I always here are about the analog sticks, the triggers, and the controller giving people cramps, none of which I've experienced throughout the years using Sony's controllers.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

The One and Only

I have no problem whatsoever with the PS controller, but then again I've been using DualShocks for 10 years now. Imo they shouldn't mess with the overall design and only the minor designs of it. Don't wanna have to get used to a completely new design when the current design works just fine.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 4 - Silver

6 comments and people already lost the point of this.
    We can effectively choose a design for a controller. Maybe a trophy based controller or particular game series like wipeout, uncharted, sly cooper, ps Vita (That would be a shameless promotion), crash bandicoot or any other series. Or though we can't change anything about the way the controller is built, but the only real problem I have with it are the L2+R2 triggers anyway (and even that isn't a huge thing to me).

Who knows if a good enough design is chosen then maybe people would actually look at there controller every so often.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    What's the problem with it? The only thing I could think of would be the triggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by njdog102 View Post
    You make it seem like EVERYBODY hates the controller. Yeah, I've seen a number of people say how much the PS3 controller sucks, but there's also a shitload of people who have no problem with it.

What exactly do people find wrong about the controller anyway? The three main complaints I always here are about the analog sticks, the triggers, and the controller giving people cramps, none of which I've experienced throughout the years using Sony's controllers.
    The triggers and general feel of the controller is uncomfortable, especially when compared to something such as an Xbox 360 controller. There are subtle improvements that could be at least tried out. I just want to see some sort of progression with the controller.

Granted, it doesn't stop me from enjoying a game and I'm nitpicking here, but still. It irks me that there's a lack of innovation here.

Then again, why should I be surprised?

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

The Bushiest Pig

The triggers and general feel of the controller is uncomfortable, especially when compared to something such as an Xbox 360 controller. There are subtle improvements that could be at least tried out. I just want to see some sort of progression with the controller.

Granted, it doesn't stop me from enjoying a game and I'm nitpicking here, but still. It irks me that there's a lack of innovation here.

I find the PS3 controller comfortable, much more than the 360 controllers.

But the whole comfortable thing just depends on the person and their level of comfortability.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

360 controllers are for COD fatty's equipped w/ headsets.
    a PS3 remote is superb in scale. D-pad is better for the menu's compared to a 360, buttons are just right, select/start right in the middle & home. (etc). Analog sticks are in the same location for both hands (thumbs). Unlike the 360 where one is in the top left/bottom right. (wtf).

..at least for me, never had any issues besides the L2/R2 triggers.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Resident PHD

Well I basically copied the design they have now. Then I added these wings to lower wind resistance and I feel the racing stripes are pretty sharp.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Banned

Exactly, Bushpig, I played xbox before ps3 and I prefer ps3 controllers. So I wouldn't change a thing about it... only developers not allowing me to choose which buttons I want for which actions.

I think a design contest is cool, I wish I could draw my ideas, I'll have to get my cousin onboard.

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Well I basically copied the design they have now. Then I added these wings to lower wind resistance and I feel the racing stripes are pretty sharp.

I'm feeling this. Guys, we have a genius on our hands.

The One and Only

I'll be the best racing gamer with that controller.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Gaming since 1985!

Where's the cup holder? lol This would be great too for those rage moment when I want to throw my controller. Then it would just glide into my cat's head.

Closing this account

They should put a mute button on the side so your hands don't need to leave the controller and you have to silences the idiots.

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

AH! good one, makes racing games MORE interesting.

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

PRO Member

Only thing I don't like about PS3 controller is the back of the R2/L2 (they dig into my fingers sometimes) also it wouldn't hurt to impove R2/L2
    No touch screen! :stare:

Sig by Smashguy

illegal in 9 countries

The DualShock's mushroom-shaped analog sticks are more slippery than the 360's craters. As a result I find myself adjusting my thumb position more often on the DS.

It's more of a material issue than design - it's intended to be no-slip, but over time it smoothes over and gets slick under thumb. The original Dual Analog Controller had craters prior to rumble, I'm not sure why they changed it.

SixAxis says Hello!

SixAxis is beautifully implemented in Heavenly Sword and LocoRoco Cocoreccho and even, dare I say it, Lair. SixAxis is one of the differentiating factors that convinced me to buy a PS3 over a 360.

It's not Sony's fault that most games don't utilise it, thanks largely to cross-platform control scheme consistency with the 360. Devs don't want fork out extra money to implement alternative control schemes unless it's necessary, so SixAxis has fallen by the wayside. That doesn't mean it's bad, it means it's more expensive to support.

As far as progression goes...Playstation Controller > Dual Analog > Dualshock > Wireless + SixAxis > Dualshock (again...legal issues).

And how about the touchpad on the back of the Vita? That's not innovative enough for you?
    You can also use the PSP and Vita as PS3 Controllers on supported games...am I missing something?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast