Quick noob question

This is a discussion on Quick noob question within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey all havnt been on here or psn for awhile, thought i'd come back with this awesome question, i bought ...

1.21 GIGAWATTS

Quick noob question

Hey all havnt been on here or psn for awhile, thought i'd come back with this awesome question, i bought a new ps3 bout a week ago, can i transfer my saved game data from my old ps3 and use it on my new ps3. or is this not possible? Thanks in advance.

Sig & Avy created by stupot00

Available For Boosting: Add me on PSN: likeAbozs

Lvl 9 - Gold

If you have an external hard drive you can back up all your saved data on that then transfer it to the new system using the back up utility on the ps3

Lvl 7 - Gold

If you connect both PS3's with an ethernet cable you can transfer everything.

Level 5 Esper

• You should be able to copy all your non-copyrighted save data onto a USB or w/e and move it like that
    • If you have PS+, you can use the cloud
    • If you try to move your hard drive, it won't work and it will ask to format it instead
    • There's an option in settings that lets you copy all your data from 1 PS3 to another, but I've never used it, so I don't know what it'll do
    >>>>> New Trophy Case <<<<<

Multiplayer/Old PSN

Currently Playing
    FFX-2 HD Remake (PS3) || Killzone Mercenary (PSV) || Hearthstone (PC)

My Guides

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
    Generator Rex: Agent of Providence

1.21 GIGAWATTS

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    If you have an external hard drive you can back up all your saved data on that then transfer it to the new system using the back up utility on the ps3
    and this will let me use my saves on my new ps3 under the same psn id?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by LikeAbozs View Post
    and this will let me use my saves on my new ps3 under the same psn id?
    Yes it should do as the saves aren't connected to your psn id. Online stats are saved on the server.

You have two options now in this thread:

The way I said using Backup Utility and an external hard drive or USB.
    Or using the Data Transfer Utility and an Ethernet cable between the two systems.

Backup Utility and Data Transfer Utility can be found in System Settings

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frost425 View Post
    • You should be able to copy all your non-copyrighted save data onto a USB or w/e and move it like that
    • If you try to move your hard drive, it won't work and it will ask to format it instead
    • There's an option in settings that lets you copy all your data from 1 PS3 to another, but I've never used it, so I don't know what it'll do
    This is dead on accurate.

I'll just add if you go with option #4 it will transfer all game saves from your old Ps3 to your new Ps3. They will no longer be on your old system.

EDIT: The above is inaccurate. Only copy protected game saves will be deleted from old system.Other game saves will be on old system and copied to new Ps3 as well.
    Sorry for my mistake and thanks to Crealkllr for pointing out my mistake.
    Last edited by Javro_07; 08-04-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

1.21 GIGAWATTS

Thanks to everyone that responded i appreciate it.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by LikeAbozs View Post
    Hey all havnt been on here or psn for awhile, thought i'd come back with this awesome question, i bought a new ps3 bout a week ago, can i transfer my saved game data from my old ps3 and use it on my new ps3. or is this not possible? Thanks in advance.
    Yes it is possible. PM me if you dont know how

Quote Originally Posted by Frost425 View Post
    Frost answered most of your questions.

There is a data transfer, which transfers all downloaded games, game data, and other data over to the other ps3. Preperation for that is to download the update, sync the trophies, and deactivate all accounts on both ps3s. THe one gaining the data will be wiped blank first, so save any data from that before doing this

Most data can be copied onto a usb or hard drive, and just copied onto another ps3

Again, i have done this many times, so if you need help, couldnt hurt to ask, if you havent already done all this

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Javro_07 View Post
    I'll just add if you go with option #4 it will transfer all game saves from your old Ps3 to your new Ps3. They will no longer be on your old system.
    This is actually inacurate. This option transfers all data from the old ps3 to the new. Most of the data will still be on the old one (the old one doesnt get wiped clean).

Some data (like the ones you cannot copy with the hard drive method) will be taken from the old and put on the new, so only those files will not be there. Other than that, they will be on your old system.

Check Those Corners

Playstation Plus cloud storage or external hard drive (what i use). That is all that I know, but I would go with a external hard drive. cheaper and holds more data

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    This is actually inacurate. This option transfers all data from the old ps3 to the new. Most of the data will still be on the old one (the old one doesnt get wiped clean).

Some data (like the ones you cannot copy with the hard drive method) will be taken from the old and put on the new, so only those files will not be there. Other than that, they will be on your old system.
    I just read the warning that appears when you click on data transfer and you are absolutely right.

When I did mine I had all my unprotected saves on USB and only transfered protected saves. Which were wiped from the old system and I just assumed all game saves behaved that way.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Javro_07 View Post
    I just read the warning that appears when you click on data transfer and you are absolutely right.

When I did mine I had all my unprotected saves on USB and only transfered protected saves. Which were wiped from the old system and I just assumed all game saves behaved that way.
    no problem. We are all here to help each other.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I did this a little over a year ago when I upgraded my HDD. If you go for the full backup to an external option, I'd recommend deleting all the game install data for disc-based games that you own, as long as you don't mind waiting for them to re-install on an "as you play" basis. Otherwise, it could really bloat the amount of time needed for the full backup and restore. When I did this, I had a 120GB that was almost full, and it took about 10 hours for both the backup and the restore process.