Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS3 Motherboard swapping?

This is a discussion on PS3 Motherboard swapping? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Okay. So here's the deal. My brother's PS3 is probably the most used piece of hardware on the planet. In ...

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

PS3 Motherboard swapping?

Okay. So here's the deal. My brother's PS3 is probably the most used piece of hardware on the planet. In his extensive use he has worn out his USB ports. Both of them. (Slim 120G) My dad tried to fix it and reset the defaults in the process. Which, disconnects all controllers from the system. Now we have no controller connected and can't reconnect.

We have sent it to a repair company and after a week and a half they sent it back, refunded our money, and informed us that we were screwed. My brother CANNOT accept this because he has 3 years worth of data on that hard drive.

Which brings me here. I researched it and found out the USB ports are soldered onto the motherboard. I was wondering if we could just use another Motherboard. Swap it in and get the saved data off before we gleefully blow it up. I could try to solder new USBs on the board but then I would have to replace other stuff and it could be very costly not to mention time consuming. I'd rather not if I don't have to...

So please let me know what you guys think. Everything helps. Thanks!

Signature created by: DaRe_xLw

Lvl 7 - Gold

1.Buy another PS3 and connect both PS3's trough ethernet cable. It will transfer all data on to the new PS3. No need for big spendings, repairings or whatever shit.
    2. Get PS Plus. Copy all savefiles onto the cloudsaving thingie from Sony. Buy a new PS3. Wait for 24u (cause you can only copy your savefiles back to your PS3 after 24u), and copy all files onto the new PS3.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by NTGSruler View Post
    1.Buy another PS3 and connect both PS3's trough ethernet cable. It will transfer all data on to the new PS3. No need for big spendings, repairings or whatever shit.
    2. Get PS Plus. Copy all savefiles onto the cloudsaving thingie from Sony. Buy a new PS3. Wait for 24u (cause you can only copy your savefiles back to your PS3 after 24u), and copy all files onto the new PS3.
    This is probaply the cheapest and easiest way to fix that. No need to swap motherboards or anything like that
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

But will it put all the data on the new PS3 automatically? without a controller?

Also what is 24u? model I'm assuming? when does it come out?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizationXiLL View Post
    But will it put all the data on the new PS3 automatically? without a controller?

Also what is 24u? model I'm assuming? when does it come out?
    If you buy a new PS3 you will likely have a new controller i guess?
    Yes it will put all data onto the new PS3.
    As for the 24u = it means 24 HOURS. It's not a model or something. You have to wait 24 HOURS.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

If you buy a new PS3 you will likely have a new controller i guess?
    Yes it will put all data onto the new PS3.
    As for the 24u = it means 24 HOURS. It's not a model or something. You have to wait 24 HOURS.
    I mean I won't have to do anything on the old PS3 to get the data to copy over? Just connect it to the new one and tell the new one to take the data? And oh... fail. LOL

Lvl 2 - Bronze

So does it start up? If it's just the USB ports worn out, just resolder new ones into place. What other stuff would
    you have to replace? It's not that hard. You could always just do one and see what happens.

Is he just ripping the cables out? I've never heard of a usb port getting destroyed. Maybe he needs a lesson in
    respecting his property.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I mean I won't have to do anything on the old PS3 to get the data to copy over? Just connect it to the new one and tell the new one to take the data? And oh... fail. LOL

Don't worry about it
    Yes just connect both of the PS3's

PS3™ | Data Transfer Utility

Indie Game Developer

Also, if you have a PS3 blu ray remote, I think that only uses bluetooth, so you won't need to pair with USB? Not sure, but if you can figure out a way to connect it, you can get a 3month PS+ sub for like $15 and put the saves on the cloud and just pull em down on a new PS3.

Also, moral of the story: ALWAYS backup your PS3 before you do anything at all to it, besides playing games.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPhysicist View Post
    So does it start up? If it's just the USB ports worn out, just resolder new ones into place. What other stuff would
    you have to replace? It's not that hard. You could always just do one and see what happens.

Is he just ripping the cables out? I've never heard of a usb port getting destroyed. Maybe he needs a lesson in
    respecting his property.
    It does, but if you have ever restored the default settings you know it resets and the first thing you have to do is connect a controller. No USB ports = no can do. The PS3 itself is fine the only problem is that the hardware and our mistakes have locked us out of the system. Every boot brings us to a "connect a controller" screen.

And I'm not so sure about the ease of replacing the USBs myself. Else the repair company could have done it.. right?

And I have no idea how he treats his property, but that doesn't help us right now.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Don't worry about it

I think if would turn on the system, he will be stuck at the main XMB menu, and he wants to know if the PS3 will need ANY buttons pressed whatsoever, no pressing X to confirm the tranfer, or anything on the old PS3.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Don't worry about it

The site you sent me to says I have to tell the old one to send and the new one to receive. I can't tell the old one jack crap. lolol

Quote Originally Posted by Jakintosh View Post
    Also, if you have a PS3 blu ray remote, I think that only uses bluetooth, so you won't need to pair with USB? Not sure, but if you can figure out a way to connect it, you can get a 3month PS+ sub for like $15 and put the saves on the cloud and just pull em down on a new PS3.

Also, moral of the story: ALWAYS backup your PS3 before you do anything at all to it, besides playing games.
    Ahh! I didn't think of that, but it could work. We don't have one, but a neighbor does so I'll try to get ahold of it.

And yeaaa lol I do and he probably will in the future.

Lvl 7 - Gold

The site you sent me to says I have to tell the old one to send and the new one to receive. I can't tell the old one jack crap.

Indeed, you are right. Very annoying lol

Trophy Guide Kitten

You could also get lie a 3month subscription to ps+, use the cloud feature, save the data to the cloud, buy a new ps3 and transfer it over with the cloud. That is what I did when I got a new ps3
    K? Thanks

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    You could also get lie a 3month subscription to ps+, use the cloud feature, save the data to the cloud, buy a new ps3 and transfer it over with the cloud. That is what I did when I got a new ps3
    I can't save the data to the cloud. I can't access the old PS3 at all.

Trophy Guide Kitten

I can't save the data to the cloud. I can't access the old PS3 at all.
    oh, right, totally forgot about that....my bad..
    K? Thanks

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    oh, right, totally forgot about that....my bad..
    Lol it's fine.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The USB port should be replaceable. You just need some solder wick, a soldering iron, and a replacement usb port. Just cause they said they couldn't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done. They might have refused for a variety of reasons (the labor could have cost more than a new unit for example).

Lvl 2 - Bronze

A user on this site:

PS3 USB Ports Not Working! - PlayStation® Community Forums

claims that his recognizes the usb if something is plugged into the port at startup. Maybe give that a try. If it's the driver
    rather than the port, this could work. It might help you figure out if it's worth trying a replacement.

Negator

If you can't use a controller on the current PS3, then you wont be able to do a data transfer utility.

As long as the motherboard is the EXACT SAME model, then swapping the boards should (in theory) work. I look forward to hearing the resolution of your issue.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast