Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's your opinion of L.A. Noire?

This is a discussion on What's your opinion of L.A. Noire? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So yeah the game is quiet old now and stuff, but it revolutionised motion capture and was one of the ...

Banned

What's your opinion of L.A. Noire?

So yeah the game is quiet old now and stuff, but it revolutionised motion capture and was one of the most original games this gen with it's features and mechanics.
    But with all that said, did you like it? did you find it boring? and would you buy a sequel?
    Also which 40's-50's game was better in your opinion, L.A. Noire or Mafia 2?

Angel of Death

Honestly, it is my favorite game this generation. It was so captivating, and there were few things I didn't like. I hope they make a game like this again. Going back in time to the 40's was one of the best parts, because 40's LA looked amazing.

Local Drunk

It's , instant classic. I didn't get bored once. If they made a sequel for it, I'd pre-order a.s.a.p.

L.A. Noire is way better than Mafia II, a lot more fun.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

O_o

The gameplay grew tired toward the end, but the crowning achievement here is the story telling.

Rockstar nailed that film noir style of narrative which is brought to life by a fantastic cast.

Resident Deadhead

ugh i found it to be painstakingly boring as FUUUUUUUCK.

watching peoples faces isnt fun
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Breakfast and Chill

Though I have Mafia II, I haven't yet tried it out, so I can't really compare the two. However, L.A. Noire is a great game if you are a fan of older detective movies and some patience for the somewhat boring parts (those long interviews). It isn't a difficult plat either as long as you pay attention to your surroundings or use an internet guide. Overall I enjoyed the experience and if a sequel/similar style game released I would definitely look into it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    Though I have Mafia II, I haven't yet tried it out, so I can't really compare the two. However, L.A. Noire is a great game if you are a fan of older detective movies and some patience for the somewhat boring parts (those long interviews). It isn't a difficult plat either as long as you pay attention to your surroundings or use an internet guide. Overall I enjoyed the experience and if a sequel/similar style game released I would definitely look into it.
    I've already played and beat it a while back, I was just curious about what others thought
    It was a good story but it just wasn't worth the boring interrogation and investigation scenes to be honest.
    And the lack of freedom is another annoyance, the map is practically empty, you can only use a gun in a scripted event, you have no safehouses and there is no currency system for you to be able to buy stuff like new suits, guns, vehicle upgrades, hell even food lol.
    The only reason I bought it was because of the motion capture technology, I wanted to see how it played out, it was amazing!
    I probably wouldn't buy a sequel though but it was still a fun one off experience. Hopefully the use that technology in their future titles!

Forget I Was Ever Here

I thought La Noire was going to be incredible but I really couldn't get into it, i might have played a hour or less i'll go back to it maybe it was just when i was playing it around the time uncharted 3 came out i bought the complete edition of it..
    now Mafia II i was hooked i loved the game i believe it was amazing

It is time for me to go underground

Legend...Nuff Said

GOTY for the last year. I loved it and want to see a sequel in LA, or a Chicago or NY Noire. It is making a case to be one of my top 10 games ever. Mafia 2 put me to sleep. The story was cool, but damn the driving got REALLY boring quick. I am not playing Courier 2.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Vive La Révelation!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    It's , instant classic. I didn't get bored once. If they made a sequel for it, I'd pre-order a.s.a.p.

L.A. Noire is way better than Mafia II, a lot more fun.
    Here, here Ol’ boy. Well said
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I've always liked detective stuff etc since I was a kid so I enjoyed the game, finished it twice, got the platinum and 100% (bought the DLC).

Death is Awaiting....

I absolutely loved it.. GOTY for me in 2011.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

illegal in 9 countries

I wanted to like L.A Noire due to the innovative use of motion capture, but playing it feels more chore than fun.
    Scanning for slight expression changes and hunting for 'dingaling' chimes quickly grows tiresome.

Going for the Plat on one play-through almost requires you to use a walkthrough, which kills the fun. As does repeating a chapter for a single missing clue or incorrect answer - it's a real ball-ache when there's no replay value.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 08-19-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Crocodile Hunter

I got bored of it, its a good game but just gets boring, i need to go back to it and finish up the

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 6 - Silver

I felt this game was the first game I thought was perfect,amazing graphics,captivating story,loveable characters,and never got bored playing it and I still do now even after the platinum.bottom line EPIC

Sig and avatar by big bad bladia

Lvl 7 - Gold

It had that Noire feeling, and in the beginning I really liked it, but then it turned out it was just the same thing over and over again.

Toggle Spoiler

currently working on several games

My first trophy guide - FIFA 14

Threat

Overall, it's a good game at best. A really great concept and easy to get hooked into it until the end. With that said, the game is extremely repetitive, with each mission being somewhat the same. Roam around the room waiting for a ding, interrogation, chase suspect etc. There's also little replay ability. Once you play through a mission once and know what happens, there's no reason to play again.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I wanted to like L.A Noire due to the innovative use of motion capture, but playing it feels more chore than fun.
    Scanning for slight expression changes and hunting for 'dingaling' chimes quickly grows tiresome.

Going for the Plat on one play-through almost requires you to use a walkthrough, which kills the fun. As does repeating a chapter for a single missing clue or incorrect answer - it's a real ball-ache when there's no replay value.
    I'd have to disagree. I would scan through an area, and when I thought I was just about done I would check the guide to see if I missed anything. It was still quite fun, because you still get to play detective.

LA Noire is one of my favorites from Rockstar.

Closing this account

Wish it had prostitutes and was able to buy the cars instead of searching for them.

NSFW

Hold me back, guys, I'm about to go crazy... oh too late.

L.A. Noire was a MAJOR disappointment for me. You don't do shit in the game. You find clues, doing one of the three "action" sequences the game gives you, facereading, cluefinding, facereading, cluefinding, actionsequence, facereading, done. You are the police's pet. You do not solve any crimes, you do not figure anything out, you just find the clues for the computer to figure out the mystery. There really is no compelling gameplay to this. It all gets pushed aside to tell a story.... poorly. Cole Phelps is a bland piece of sandpaper that grates you everytime he chew another storyline down with his blank story arc, and no form of personality or any karisma or charm. He is just there. He's feels like an extra, with a mildly interesting backstory in boring detective cases in an admittedly interesting setting. The only sort of hype I got, was the ending to the homicide desk. Here you actually have to do something, that the developers forgot to be. Being a detective. There really is no replay factor or ways to failure. There is cars, landmarks and film reels who doesn't do ANYTHING! I was not engrossed in an eventless and unexciting story with poor almost unexisting gameplay with boring characters, no replayfactor or motivation. This is not an action game, but it's not a detective game either. It tries so hard to be both, that it ends up being neither. I really wanted to love this game.... but I just couldn't. I did get the plat. though.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast