Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which PS3 Console Do You Consider To Be The Best Model?

This is a discussion on Which PS3 Console Do You Consider To Be The Best Model? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I was thinking of getting one and was considering getting the 60GB one since it is backwards compatible with PS2 ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Which PS3 Console Do You Consider To Be The Best Model?

I was thinking of getting one and was considering getting the 60GB one since it is backwards compatible with PS2 games. The only problem is that they are more prone to getting the YLD (Yellow Light Of Death) even more so than the PS3 Slim models. So would you guys be more on the side of getting the 60GB PS3 or the Slim PS3 with them being newer and also less chance of failing?

Has anyone still got there 60GB PS3 and it still works to this day?

PRO Member

I had my 80GB Fatty for four years before yloding. It was fully backwards compatible and had more space so I would say that is my favorite. My current 320GB has a lot of space, but looks like crap. Even the slim model before this one was better. It's extremely basic and cheap imo.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Angel of Death

The Special Edition PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII. The white and pink look really cool.

Ice Cream Firefighter

I don't have a 60GB system but I still have my fatboy 80GB & my daughters still use my 40GB fatboy for their games I thought about getting a bigger HDD but I don't need it, once I have finished playing a game I just remove the game data but I keep the save files so if I ever want to play them again I can

get yourself a PS2 from a pawnshop to play PS2 games they are cheap as piss, for myself personally PS2 is a era that is better off left in the shadows there was only a handful of decent games out there for it GTA's FF's but each to their own opinion

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Plats-O'-War!!

I say the Slim. The Legend known as the 60GB is no longer supported, meaning if you called Sony about it, the best they'll do is give you a 120GB slim for about $120 (that includes the box, and shipping via UPS). For all that, get you a PS2!!!! Their hella cheap, and is worth the $49 or less in the long run. I have my PS2, and I still play the hell out of it to this day!!!

PRO Member

slim since you cant get a 60 back compatable anymore plus psn has anything that was once worth while for download. or buy a ps2 to play oldies

The One and Only

A little hard to say.

If you have PS2 games and don't want to spend money on a PS2 (assuming you sold it or no longer have it), then the original PS3's are what you wanna look at. However, those are the ones that get the YLOD. The Slim models don't have that problem, but there's no backwards compatibility. Even with the HD remasters on PSN and retail, most PS2 games aren't remastered yet.

It just depends on what you think is worth it, and I'm neutral so I think the positives and the negatives makes each other just as good.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 5 - Silver

fat daddies that could play ps1 and ps2 games!!

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Forget I Was Ever Here

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I had my 80GB Fatty for four years before yloding. It was fully backwards compatible and had more space so I would say that is my favorite. My current 320GB has a lot of space, but looks like crap. Even the slim model before this one was better. It's extremely basic and cheap imo.
    have mine since release running about 16 hours a day works like a charm but i take care of my belongings i've had a slim for 2 years now and no problems with that either.. i personally don't play ps2 games or ps1 games but rarely when they come on the psn i get them...

I would recommend the slim to you

It is time for me to go underground

Lvl 5 - Silver

I have one of the fat 80s and I wish I had bought one with a bigger HD though haha. I always have to delete stuff and I don't like deleting my stuff haha.

Working On:
    "Fallout: New Vegas [Ultimate Edition]" - 59%,
    "Devil May Cry 3" - 14%,
    "Dead Storm Pirates" - 52% (3/5 S Rank)

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

it doesnt matter to me well actually no i changed my mind i liked the ps3 phat model because it was heavy and felt more durable than the newer models, the only drawback was it produced alot of heat which can lead to YLOD other than that i like it
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Rangers F.C

Im a fan of the Slim , loved my fatboy but once I got my Slim I liked it much more

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I had the original 40GB Fat model but that died on me a year to YLOD also so I bought a Slim. I bought a 120GB as I already had a 320GB HDD anyway. I prefer the look of the original fat ps3 plus I like the fancy touch ability of the eject and on button but I'd go for the slim purely for the fact that it "seems" less prone to YLOD.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I still have my launch 60 bc fatty. It has been sent in for repairs twice, first the blue ray died in '09, and a year later ylod.. It's starting to misbehave again, so i will probably send it in for repairs again soon. Think i'll buy a slim so i don't have to stop gaming for a month....

I would say the slim is better, cause the cell processor has 45 nm manufacturing process, the launch model had 90nm.. That makes a huge difference in power consumption and temperatures. That's why ylod isn't killing slims as often as the old fatties..

Lvl 6 - Silver

the fat model looked the part but the slim is great for the functionality and better soldering to help prevent YLOD, a huge plus IMO. as for PS2 games i wouldn't worry too much since we have them in the PS store anyway, but if you want loads of PS2 games that aren't in the store i would just buy a second hand one if i were you. that's why i own a PS1 (chipped for imports), PS2 and PS3

Lvl 10 - Platinum

my 60 gb fatty lasted about 4-5 years, now i got the slim, much better and a lot easier to find these days

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    have mine since release running about 16 hours a day works like a charm but i take care of my belongings i've had a slim for 2 years now and no problems with that either.. i personally don't play ps2 games or ps1 games but rarely when they come on the psn i get them...

I would recommend the slim to you
    I have the slim which is lighter, more space and not as susceptible to ylod, but it's still a hunk a junk to me for cheap non-quality parts. That's just me though. And I took very good care of my fatty...just it's time to go I spose.

|
    |by Smashguy |

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I have the slim which is lighter, more space and not as susceptible to ylod, but it's still a hunk a junk to me for cheap non-quality parts. That's just me though. And I took very good care of my fatty...just it's time to go I spose.
    You seriously think the slim is ugly and uses cheap non-quality parts? The casing is obviously of a cheaper quality and the blu-ray drive is supposedly a cheaper model. But other than that, they're all equally of the same quality. I think the slim looks cooler than the fatty PS3

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    You seriously think the slim is ugly and uses cheap non-quality parts? The casing is obviously of a cheaper quality and the blu-ray drive is supposedly a cheaper model. But other than that, they're all equally of the same quality. I think the slim looks cooler than the fatty PS3
    I do Like I said though, I'm very partial to the look, feel, and overall quality (minus the solder issues causeing ylod) of the Fatty. I think your version of the slim is even better. Small things like the lights on the buttons and a raised PS symbol above the disc tray please me.

I'm sure that the internal parts are all better, just wasn't impressed with it overall and put a cool sticker to make it more personal. Plus it's brand new and sometimes Bioshock 2 casues it to freeze I just feel this way with all the things I spend good money on you know? I appreciate the subtleties.

|
    |by Smashguy |

Saints Row IV

My Fat PS3 80GB is the boss! I have it for 3 years and know YLOD,No freezes at 90% of my games (Including Fallout New Vegas)
    Just some corrupted datas but i formated my PS3 by mistake
    Also the fat PS3 is much preetier that the slim,my cousin has a slim and is ugly
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast