Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Copying Game Data Saves only available to Plus members?

This is a discussion on Copying Game Data Saves only available to Plus members? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I don't remember the last time I wanted to back up one of my game saves to an external hard ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Copying Game Data Saves only available to Plus members?

I don't remember the last time I wanted to back up one of my game saves to an external hard drive...but today I go to back up dragons dogma (because it only allows you one game save slot..like really?) and the 'copy' option is greyed out and there's the golden plus symbol next to it.

You mean to tell me I now have to be a plus member in order to copy MY game saves? Data that by all accounts, IS MINE.

If this is truly the case then I'm highly disappointed in Sony..what a bitch move. Can anyone refute this if it isn't the case or tell me why Sony thought it was okay to charge people to copy data that doesn't belong to them?

Ice Cream Firefighter

I don't own PSplus but from what I have heard about it it's worthwhile buying obvious thing is that you can back your saves up but it more than pays for itself with what they offer you gamewise for FREE the digital age is here my friend & soon you won't even be able to buy a disk you will still get a case but you will get a PSN code for it. It's your data but SONY own all rights it's like buying a car it's your car but the bank still own it

if you don't like it you can always buy a XBox360 & pay to play online
    I am still & always will be a PS man XBox to me sucks (too bulky a control)

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Forget I Was Ever Here

Yes this is true but not all games require this option

It is time for me to go underground

PRO Member

Copying to cloud has always been a Plus only option.

I'm assuming Dragons Dogma is copy protected and that's why your unable to back it up to external hard drive.This as always been the case.

EDIT: If it's important save file I would suggest getting Plus.You can store all save files even copy protected ones to the cloud.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

An old-fashioned cowboy

Certain games have locked save data and the only way you can back them up is to upload them to the PS+ Cloud. Judging by what you wrote it looks like Dragons Dogma falls under this category. Also you shouldn't blame Sony since they aren't the ones who decide if games have locked save data but rather it's the developers/publishers that decide this. So in Dragons Dogma's case I guess Capcom would be the people to blame for this.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Javro_07 View Post
    Copying to cloud has always been a Plus only option.

I'm assuming Dragons Dogma is copy protected and that's why your unable to back it up to external hard drive.This as always been the case.

EDIT: If it's important save file I would suggest getting Plus.W You can store all save files even copy protected ones to the cloud.
    while that may be the case, ps has made this option effect EVERY game. you can no longer copy saves for games that ARENT even copy protected. i saw it, and just sighed... sony went full fucking ****** on this move.

Ze Paradox Ninja Assassin

You can copy most saved game datas straight to an external hard drive with no problem. But, some games saves are locked and not allowed to do such. But, those locked games are available for storage via Cloud, which is only available to PS+ Subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus View Post
    while that may be the case, ps has made this option effect EVERY game. you can no longer copy saves for games that ARENT even copy protected. i saw it, and just sighed... sony went full fucking ****** on this move.
    I have not found a problem with this above finding, I still copy my saves to my USB occasionally.

95.37% Completion

Currently Playing

Sonic Unleashed
    Payday 2

Recently Finished

Call of Duty: Classic
    Crysis 3

Banned

Some games saves are copy protected and can't be backed up onto an external hard drive/USB, this used to be a massive problem before cloud storage came along because people were losing their saves when their consoles broke via YLOD which was inevitable to happen to all the launch 60gb models.

Change is mediocre

Well, it easiest with PS+, I guess Dragon's Dogma has a save protection so you can't copy it. The Cloud save feature doesn't hold much space though so only important things should be in it.

But yes, only available to plus subscribers.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus View Post
    Just tested it by copying MLB THE Show to USB. Worked fine for me.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Well, it easiest with PS+, I guess Dragon's Dogma has a save protection so you can't copy it. The Cloud save feature doesn't hold much space though so only important things should be in it.

But yes, only available to plus subscribers.
    they're upping that up though soon to 1 gig I hear

An old-fashioned cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    they're upping that up though soon to 1 gig I hear
    Not that I don't believe you but could you give a source.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrRoger View Post
    Not that I don't believe you but could you give a source.
    PlayStation Plus coming to Vita, cloud storage capacity to hit 1GB | Joystiq

Crocodile Hunter

Its one of the perks to having PS+, you really should get it, totally worth it. Im not sure if you can copy saves without it but thats what the cloud service is for, so you dnt have to do that. And its only $20 for 3 months. thats pretty cheap

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Unfortunately like others have already stated, some game's saves are copy protected. PS+ would fix that, but you would have to stay subscribed if I'm not mistaken. I have also heard of the 1GB increase which is

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I know some games are copy protected, But I didn't think Dogma is. I mean even if it is, Why is there a plus symbol next to it? Implying you need plus in order to copy it.

Some of you misunderstand, I'm not talking about the cloud online feature, I'm talking about saving to an external hard drive which has always been free. I'm not gonna buy Plus just for that feature because 1. its blatantly stealing peoples money and 2. I don't need anything the plus service has to offer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LiLPlaya0o0 View Post
    I know some games are copy protected, But I didn't think Dogma is. I mean even if it is, Why is there a plus symbol next to it? Implying you need plus in order to copy it.

Some of you misunderstand, I'm not talking about the cloud online feature, I'm talking about saving to an external hard drive which has always been free. I'm not gonna buy Plus just for that feature because 1. its blatantly stealing peoples money and 2. I don't need anything the plus service has to offer.
    That's exactly what it is, and unfortunately more and more games are going to be made use this feature from here on in forcing people to use cloud storage that want to back up their saves so Sony can maximise it's profits with Plus.
    But at the end of the day, it's just business.

Indie Game Developer

Alright, let's clarify some things:

1) You can still copy game saves to flash drives and the like without PS+
    2) You still CAN'T copy "protected" game saves to flash drives, and you never could
    3) Buying PS+ gives you cloud space to store ALL game saves, regardless of if they are protected or not, since they can only be downloaded to that PSN ID, which is why the protected game saves exist in the first place
    4) Buying PS+ also gives you the ability to automatically backup your game saves to that cloud daily (or nightly, if you prefer)

What probably happened to you, OP, was that you didn't have a flash drive plugged in, so they only option for copying saves was to the cloud, which you don't have access to, hence the greyed out function. If you did have a flash drive plugged in, the save was probably "protected", so the cloud was still the only way to "copy" it, so it was still greyed out.

So to recap, for those without PS+, nothing has changed since the PS3 launched. For those with PS+, you now get the added functionality of backing up any save, including protected ones, to the cloud for retrieval later.

Hope this clarified some things.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Check Those Corners

I need to get my ass to best buy and get a 20 GB flash drive. Not much of my stuff can fit onto my 2giggy. but yeah, buying plus is not worth the limited amount of data storage.

INTJ

how convienient.

hyperkin releases a ps3 game save editor (game genie), then suddenly sony charges 49.99 a year to copy game saves

nice to see sony cutting out more features for consumers unless they pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast